here's a feelgood post.....

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 ed rader

ed rader

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:35 PM

my buddy Jason and i take a day off about once a month and spend the day together taking pictures. we often go to monterey.

our routine goes something like this: we stop at moss landing and check on the sea lions and then we go to the lagoon by the whole enchilada and photograph the sea otters. after that we stop at the giant artichoke in castroville for french fried artichoke hearts and iced americanos...and then we head to monterey.

last week when we left the giant artichoke we saw two small dogs playing by the bus stop on the main drag. i started to drive by but it was clear that these dogs were unsupervised. so we agreed to go check them out. they were playful but coy. both were dirty and neither had a collar .... really no big surprise to me!

when a young mother walked by with her infant the little brown dog got all excited and tried to follow them into a restaurant. we then decided to act. i grabbed the little white one and Jason eventually snagged the brown one. they both rode on Jason's lap while he called around on his blackberry and i drove.

we went to the animal shelter in marina....but it was by appointment only and when we finally got ahold of a officer she said she couldn't take the dogs because they weren't found in marina.

eventually we took the pups to the shelter in salinas....i hate dog pounds but i'd rather see the dogs locked down than killed by a car, and if the owners are responsible i want them to be able to locate and retrieve their dogs.

if the dogs were abandoned or the owners don't bother to claim them, little friendly dogs always get placed.

i've called the pound and the dogs are still there. the shelter will determine the dogs' fate on the 28th.

if for some reason they will be euthanised i will adopt one or both and place them myself .... if it were up to my wife we'd be driving to salinas right now ;) .

ed rader

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Everybody's got plans... until they get hit."

-- Mike Tyson

http://erader.zenfolio.com/

#2 AChartist

AChartist

Tim

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:56 PM

Kool, they're practically human like us. I like dogs except they smell and I never wanted one in the house.

"marxism-lennonism-communism always fails and never worked, because I know

some of them, and they don't work"  M.Jordan

#3 ed rader

ed rader

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:59 PM

Kool, they're practically human like us. I like dogs except they smell
and I never wanted one in the house.

thanx Tim....i prefer dogs to kids, which also smell and are hard to get out of the house :lol: .

ed rader

-- Mike Tyson

#4 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:27 PM

Dogs don't smell if you wash them regularly. Once a week after I am done with the bathtub,
I dunk my 12 lb Lhasa Apso in water and rinse her off pretty good. No soap or shampoo
necessary if washed regularly. She has no bad smell ever because of this routine.

Another important item which most dog owners neglect and I only learned the hard way is
that once or twice a week brush their teeth. Don't use toothpaste, they will swallow it. Our
last Lhasa developed gum disease at 14 years age and died of kidney failure which was due
to bad teeth.

Posted Image
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#5 ed rader

ed rader

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:32 PM

Dogs don't smell if you wash them regularly. Once a week after I am done with the bathtub,
I dunk my 12 lb Lhasa Apso in water and rinse her off pretty good. No soap or shampoo
necessary if washed regularly. She has no bad smell ever because of this routine.

Another important item which most dog owners neglect and I only learned the hard way is
that once or twice a week brush their teeth. Don't use toothpaste, they will swallow it. Our
last Lhasa developed gum disease at 14 years age and died of kidney failure which was due
to bad teeth.

Posted Image

washing your poor dog in your dirty bath water sounds like a animal abuse to me. i'd better give PETA a call :lol: . my dog gets a bath as often as needed....which is usually about every 10 days this time of year and a little less frequently in the summer.

dogs need their teeth cleaned professionally just like people ..........

ed rader

-- Mike Tyson

#6 pdx5

pdx5

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:39 PM

dogs need their teeth cleaned professionally just like people ..........

ed rader

My bath water is quite clean since I use the tub only for soaking in hot water for a
few minutes after a strenuous round of golf. There is no soap or shampoo in water.

Professional cleaning not necessary if you brush their teeth every week. Dogs
have amazingly good saliva, it is actually a good anti-septic and plaque has not built up
at all in my 4 year old dog.

Once in a while I will scrape her teeth with the same tool dentists use to
scrape ours. But like I said this dog never has any plaque to be scraped off.

For my last dog, by the time I learned about teeth cleaning, she was already
11 or 12 years old and had plaque build up. The plaque causes gum disease
and those toxins then can affect the kidneys.

Edited by pdx5, 25 January 2009 - 06:49 PM.

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#7 AChartist

AChartist

Tim

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:44 PM

My daughter has a female black pomeranian, lovely funny dog with a big personality. Because P. Hilton started the toy dog in a bag thing. Nutty dog wants constant attention like a child. A bath seems to work about 7 days then she bothers my allergies. washing your poor dog in your dirty bath water sounds like a animal abuse to me. i'd better give PETA a call :lol: . my dog gets a bath as often as needed....which is usually about every 10 days this time of year and a little less frequently in the summer. dogs need their teeth cleaned professionally just like people .......... ed rader [/quote]

#8 AChartist

AChartist

Tim

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:48 PM

She's a nice dog.

to bad teeth.

#9 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:53 PM

Posted Image

Here's our good boy taken just now. He's 11 and starting to have some tooth issues, too. Llassas rule!

mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#10 pdx5

pdx5

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:59 PM

Thanks! And she is very well behaved. She greets you when you come home with so much excitement like you been gone for a year, even though it was only 30 minutes. As for attention, after that first greeting, she becomes invisible. Never needs attention. When she gets hungry, she will try to paw me. When she needs to go potty, she will get my attention by a distinct grunt. The only bad habit she has is when non-family members show up she acts aggressive by barking and even tugging at their clothes. After a few minutes she will then ignore them. The best thing I like is she barks her head off when she hears a car in the drive way or when the door bell rings. That is a great burglary preventer.