The HOPE bubble

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:30 AM

Astounding complacency in the market. Hope is bloating out of every corner. I have to say I'm amazed. Parade of clueless talking head on CNBC all inreasing their equity exposure and no cautiousness at all. Concensus is that the bottom is in and it can't get worse. Oh yes it can. And it will.

Edited by ogm, 03 February 2009 - 11:30 AM.

#2 Bullryder

Bullryder

• Traders-Talk User
  • 256 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:43 AM

I believe almost all talking heads have an agenda to help themselves, not the listener. New lows are on the way, perhaps related to the employment report.

#3 HoseB

HoseB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:46 AM

Must be that they're either still long, or once again long and are defending their position publicly in the hope their clients don't bolt.
40,000 headmen couldn't make me change my mind....

#4 GreatWarrior

GreatWarrior

• Traders-Talk User
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:55 AM

Parade of clueless talking head on CNBC all inreasing their equity exposure and no cautiousness at all.

OGM, do you have a more scientific quantifiable "complacency"? CNBC changed their tune every day. I heard last week Larry Kudlow even think market was going down to test new lows.

Similarly, I can go to random message boarda and pull out Today the Bullish and Bearish view for the market. Thanks

#5 tommyt

tommyt

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:06 PM

I don't disagree with OGM, nor do his views have anything to do with counter rallies here and there. Overall we are not in an uptrend. Pick your spots and trade em, for the moment this is strictly a traders game. CNBS's job is to be bullish folks...

#6 ed rader

ed rader

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:08 PM

I don't disagree with OGM, nor do his views have anything to do with counter rallies here and there. Overall we are not in an uptrend. Pick your spots and trade em, for the moment this is strictly a traders game. CNBS's job is to be bullish folks...

ned riley just said the time to buy is NOW (yeah as if) :lol: .

ed rader

Edited by ed rader, 03 February 2009 - 12:09 PM.

"Everybody's got plans... until they get hit."

-- Mike Tyson

http://erader.zenfolio.com/

#7 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:11 PM

We're not in an uptrend, DOW is stitting under 8,000 and yet the market is complacent. Hmm...

Edited by ogm, 03 February 2009 - 12:13 PM.

#8 10Shekel

10Shekel

• Validating
  • 560 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:20 PM

If this market can't get up and go pretty soon...it’s going to roll over & die! Failing indicators; Non- confirmations; Contracting GDP; Horrendous employment reports & don't forget on top of everything the Bureau of Labor Statistics will make their annual birth & death model adjustment .....it was adding jobs last year!?

#9 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,017 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:21 PM

Does sentiment drive the market, or does money? Do traders drive the market or do investors? Investors are as Bearish as they've ever been. Traders, not so much. So, it can go either way in here, except that if it doesn't fall soon, there's a tidal wave of money going to hit this thing, the likes of which we've never seen before. EVER. So, near term? Weakness "ought" to materialize, but with each passing day, the upside becomes more probable and more dramatically likely. I'm a big sentiment guy, as you know, but I know that sentiment isn't as easy or as linear as you might think. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#10 tommyt

tommyt

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:27 PM

Does sentiment drive the market, or does money?

Do traders drive the market or do investors?

Investors are as Bearish as they've ever been.

Traders, not so much.

So, it can go either way in here, except that if it doesn't fall soon, there's a tidal wave of money going to hit this thing, the likes of which we've never seen before. EVER.

So, near term? Weakness "ought" to materialize, but with each passing day, the upside becomes more probable and more dramatically likely.

I'm a big sentiment guy, as you know, but I know that sentiment isn't as easy or as linear as you might think.

Mark

Mark, thanks...I agree with your message, cept not this time. This is a once in a lifetime doozy...will go much further than most ever imagined. This sideline money is dead for a longtime. Plenty of trading to go round for bulls and bears...but until we see a rally take out something significant on volume??? Right now we are SPX 800-1000 for me.