Hourly Oscillator

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 TheArchitect

TheArchitect

• TT Member+
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:14 PM

Momentum indicators are great if they work, but in reality, "momentum" is a phony concept for the stock market. It is defined as the product of mass and velocity, and although there is velocity and there is acceleration in the market, there is no mass.

wouldn't the equivalent measure to mass be... price? ;)

#22 zigzag

zigzag

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:19 PM

It would be (19,39,6) MACD of NAAD or NYAD would be the MCO w/ 6 mover of the nasdaq and nyse respectively. But sorry to get your hopes up. Stockcharts doesn't provide intraday data for NAAD or NYAD (net breadth). Sorry..... :blush:

stockcharts provides intraday TICK data... you can use a 19,39,6 MACD on the 60 min TICK.

true but IYB can't get to the MCO from tick data.

#23 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:25 PM

60 min Summations work the best for me. Not MCO by itself, but summations. And RSI on those summations. Its not 100% fool proof, but pretty accurate for ST trading.

#24 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:42 PM

IYB, MCO is just the difference between the 39 and the 19 ema of the cumulative A/D. If you want to plot that as an indicator, you need to have a charting service which can display intraday cumulative A/D line (in your case hourly charts). Just plot the difference between the 19 and the 39 ema with the signal line set to 1. In other words MACD(19,39,1) on cumulative A/D is your MCO. But i am not sure that would give you a good indication of the hourly overbought / oversold. I just use price based indicators, which works pretty well for me.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#25 traderpaul

traderpaul

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:07 PM

Don, You have to include those pre markets and post markets for the oscillators to work.....Like tonight's bullishness will mess up the oscillators....Mss's MCAD 13,3,1 setting works good with other oscillators (RSI 2).
"Inflation is taking place now. Prices may not appear to be rising because they are making packaging smaller. "— Rickoshay

#26 IYB

IYB

• TT Patron+
  • 7,141 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:25 PM

IYB,

MCO is just the difference between the 39 and the 19 ema of the cumulative A/D. If you want to plot that as an indicator, you need to have a charting service which can display intraday cumulative A/D line (in your case hourly charts). Just plot the difference between the 19 and the 39 ema with the signal line set to 1.

In other words MACD(19,39,1) on cumulative A/D is your MCO. But i am not sure that would give you a good indication of the hourly overbought / oversold. I just use price based indicators, which works pretty well for me.

I did precisely that on eSignal in the past, but it would not let me run MA's against this newly created "MCO clone".- MA crossings are an important component of the SS's. I'm looking for divergences followed by reversal in internal momentum measures (and yes I use "momentum" in a much looser sense than a psyicist would) to produce an important trading signal, ahead of price-only signals, based on my observation and long held conviction that that internal measures of momentum {advance/declines, highs/lows, volume of advances vs. volume of declines as measured by TRIN, and others} lead price, or as I say, price follows momentum.

But it sounds like Trade Station may have just what I need. Good trading, D

http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$SPX&p=D&yr=1&mn=11&dy=0&i=p20175862770&a=161831573&r=329.png
“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one.” Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

#27 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:33 PM

IYB,

MCO is just the difference between the 39 and the 19 ema of the cumulative A/D. If you want to plot that as an indicator, you need to have a charting service which can display intraday cumulative A/D line (in your case hourly charts). Just plot the difference between the 19 and the 39 ema with the signal line set to 1.

In other words MACD(19,39,1) on cumulative A/D is your MCO. But i am not sure that would give you a good indication of the hourly overbought / oversold. I just use price based indicators, which works pretty well for me.

I did precisely that on eSignal in the past, but it would not let me run MA's against this newly created "MCO clone".- MA crossings are an important component of the SS's. I'm looking for divergences followed by reversal in internal momentum measures (and yes I use "momentum" in a much looser sense than a psyicist would) to produce an important trading signal, ahead of price-only signals, based on my observation and long held conviction that that internal measures of momentum {advance/declines, highs/lows, volume of advances vs. volume of declines as measured by TRIN, and others} lead price, or as I say, price follows momentum.

But it sounds like Trade Station may have just what I need. Good trading, D

http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$SPX&p=D&yr=1&mn=11&dy=0&i=p20175862770&a=161831573&r=329.png

Yes Tradestation has all that you need, perhaps more than you would ever need. You can add indicators on indicators, etc. but you need to open an account with them to use their software.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#28 zigzag

zigzag

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:49 PM

the MACD you see here is actually the MCO for the Comp with a 6 mover.

Posted Image

#29 VolPivots

VolPivots

• Chartist
  • 3,203 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:52 PM

Don, plot $nyadv:$nydec on a 60min, use chart type invisible. to mimic the MCO, take a 124ema and line plot that....6.5hours/day * 19 = 124. Here's what it looks like....very close to your daily MCO

Attached Thumbnails

• 60min_mco.png

#30 zigzag

zigzag

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:05 AM

Don, plot $nyadv:$nydec on a 60min, use chart type invisible. to mimic the MCO, take a 124ema and line plot that....6.5hours/day * 19 = 124.

Here's what it looks like....very close to your daily MCO

Interesting that works intraday. Not net breadth but at least it's a ratio.
http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$NAADV:$NADEC&p=60&yr=0&mn=3&dy=0&i=p52603487387&a=163782759&r=5260.png