Recap of the 1974-1975 Bottom

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#11 raleigh

raleigh

• Traders-Talk User
  • 528 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:14 PM

I agree with the 1974 - 1975 pattern, been using same model.

#12 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:18 PM

I think right now there are a lot of people who think they are going to outsmart everyone and catch the start of a new bull market. They lost a lot of money last year, they missed the start of some bull market some time in the past, and now they are pinning all their hopes on this momentum move up. There will be no more down days, and this is the time they will make money. This time for sure. Market is not going to trick them again. It will. As a side note.. 1974. Army of baby boomers in their prime 30s, with savings ready to invest, and willing to take on risks. Now they are all retiring, and just lost half of their savings. Just one small observation on the difference of then and now.

Edited by ogm, 16 April 2009 - 01:21 PM.

#13 Spectacular Bid

Spectacular Bid

• Traders-Talk User
  • 852 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:19 PM

Excellent post Index. Thanks for posting.

#14 IndexTrader

IndexTrader

• TT Patron+
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:40 PM

As a side note.. 1974. Army of baby boomers in their prime 30s, with savings ready to invest, and willing to take on risks. Now they are all retiring, and just lost half of their savings. Just one small observation on the difference of then and now.

For what it's worth, the "baby boom" spans the birth years 1946-1964. In other words, in 1974, the oldest baby boomer was just 28. The youngest was 10. I can guarantee you that the baby boomers were not a factor in the 1975-1976 bull market. We didn't have IRAs, 401Ks...and the older ones like me were just starting families, buying houses, etc etc.

Whether they are "all retiring" is questionable too. The oldest baby boomer right now is 62. The vast majority of baby boomers right now are in peak earning years.

But the real point of my post was to watch the charts. If it's going down, they'll tell you. You seem to want to talk about economics, rather than your charts.

IT

#15 ...

• Traders-Talk User
  • 510 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:42 PM

Richard Nixon was impeached

Minor point, but Nixon was never impeached. Articles of impeachment were voted out of committee, but they were never voted on by the House as he resigned.

#16 inamosa

inamosa

Patterns-based Trader and Investor in ETFs and Futures

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:44 PM

I agree with please stick to the charts when forecasting the market Idle talk isn't useful to anyone on this board (at least in this part of the forum) (Just IMHO)
"Our job is not to predict where the market will go, but to interpret daily price and volume action to ascertain the facts of the current environment and make decisions based on that interpretation."
-Scott O'Neil (son of William O'Neil), Portfolio Manager at O’Neil Data Systems, when asked where the Dow would go in the coming months

#17 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,960 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:56 PM

speaking of the Saudi.s......the saudi ambassador to the UN has a 10000 sq ft apartment with an additional 1500 sq ft servants quarters in the Trump golden tower in manhattan.......this saturday i have an appointment to measure his walls for ART........watta freekin country eh.........SNEORT....I love this country............even tho i hold 2 citizenchips...........OHHHHHHHHHH CAAAAANAAAADAAAAAAA.....lol. n .....gosh BLESS AMERICA......

Edited by da_cheif, 16 April 2009 - 01:58 PM.

#18 IndexTrader

IndexTrader

• TT Patron+
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:59 PM

Richard Nixon was impeached

Minor point, but Nixon was never impeached. Articles of impeachment were voted out of committee, but they were never voted on by the House as he resigned.

Thanks for the correction.

IT

#19 humble1

humble1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:00 PM

hey cheif ... i want to buy a small apartment in brooklyn right on the edge of manhatten. i have offspring going to work there and am told prices have tumbled. what do you think of that area?

#20 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:17 PM

IndexTrader, Is this the type of market you would be willing to buy strength, as in buying or adding to breakouts, or is that too risky ever ?