Seven Sentinels and Today's Market

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 IYB

IYB

• TT Patron+
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:19 PM

<_< Well, at least I have a very strong opinion as to the answer. ;) I s'pose it's possible that that is not the same thing. :lol:

Today saw all seven of seven sentinels move to buy territory. When that happens, we have a significant event, though not necessarily what most traders might expect. Sometimes it means we have a bona fide SSBS, and the kick off to a big move, like the signal that occurred on March 12, 2009 and the move that followed- a massive 50% rally on the SPX over the following three months. But many would be surprised perhaps to learn that more often - those times when there has not been a divergent set up prior to the 7 of 7, this event marks a ST top.

Many other things happened today that happen only at one of two times- at kickoff points and at ST tops. Roger's sentiment extremes are one such example. 9 to 1 Upside volume and up - like todays 25+ to 1, is another such example. Extremes of all sorts occur at kick off points and at ST tops. The trick is to be able to distinguish the difference. And that difference, imho, is "SET-UP".

I've done an exhaustive study of all internal measures of the market that I could access, and the conclusion I've reached is just what I had concluded earlier. The vast majority of internal measures made new lows on July 8, coincident with a new low in SPX. There had been NO divergent set up prior to that low. Very few internal measures showed any positive divergence to the earlier June 22 low. The positive divergences we could find were between June 22 when the SPX closed at 893 and July 8 when it closed at 879 were the NYMO (discussed earlier) which closed at a HIGHER -66 vs -79, and the 19 day moving averages of TICK and TICKQ which closed at +30 versus -50 and +132 versus-90 respectively. That's it! Indicators that did NOT show positive divergence ranged from NAMO and the rest of the McClellan Oscillators on other indices to Swenlins Trading Oscillator to Decision Point's ITVM and STVM, to both the NY and Nssdaq net new highs, to the number of SPX issues over their 50 day moving averages, to Transportation and Nasdaq averages themselves, and to many many more. A quick review of Decision Point will quickly confirm what I am saying.

The weight of the evidence says we have NOT, repeat NOT set up the internals for an advance.

When a day like today occurs that triggers all 7 of seven sentinels positive, most of the time, because the market has not done it's work in setting up the internals for an advance, that event is a "false positive" and marks a ST TOP. When that occurs, I treat it as a ST top and get fully short. That, again, occurs when there has been no divergent set up, as right now.

The other perhaps 20% of those 7 of 7 events mark a real SS Buy Signal. THAT occurs when all 7 of seven go to a buy position after a true divergent set up - like on March 12, 2009 for example. When that occurs I treat it as a REAL Seven Sentinels Buy Signal, issue an announcement, mark it on the chart and get fully long. That is NOT the case here.

CONCLUSION: This is a bull trap - a ST trading top. The correct position currently is SHORT. JMHO, of course.

We could well be in the early stages of that set up process, as todays internal strength was truly impressive. Time will tell. Right or wrong, I just wanted to make my view of today as clear as possible. Good Trading, D

http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$NAMO&p=D&yr=0&mn=9&dy=0&i=p21608579911&a=172148813&r=524.png

Edited by IYB, 15 July 2009 - 10:23 PM.

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one.” Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

#2 thespookyone

thespookyone

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:27 PM

Than for all your great contributions-and I agree. I feel we are within 30- 35 SPX points of a top that sticks.

#3 Slothrop

Slothrop

• TT Member
  • 625 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:30 PM

I don't think IYB is talking about another 30 points up from here. I believe he's talking about a top right here, right now.

#4 Traderlex

Traderlex

• Traders-Talk User
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:36 PM

Mahalo Don, your SS work is First Class and your sharing of it and your interpretations of it is some the most valuable information found on TT, and your spirit of generosity is what makes this such a great Board. Lex :)
"To be a money master, you must first be a self-master." J. P. Morgan

#5 inamosa

inamosa

Patterns-based Trader and Investor in ETFs and Futures

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:36 PM

Mahalo

Don, your SS work is First Class and your sharing of it and your interpretations of it is some the most valuable information found on TT, and your spirit of generosity is what makes this such a great Board.

Lex
:)

Yep

Great stuff, Don
"Our job is not to predict where the market will go, but to interpret daily price and volume action to ascertain the facts of the current environment and make decisions based on that interpretation."
-Scott O'Neil (son of William O'Neil), Portfolio Manager at O’Neil Data Systems, when asked where the Dow would go in the coming months

#6 redfoliage2

redfoliage2

• Traders-Talk User
  • 18,005 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:45 PM

Yep, a setup to serve mainly the following purposes: 1. for the OpEx 2. for a last chance to escape before a full blooming of the H&S pattern. Could become a classbook example. I'm not convinced yet that we should forget about the H&S. 3. It was ST oversold last week and ST indicators were aligned up for a bounce, which turned into a typical bear market rally, explosive and often short-lived.

Edited by redfoliage2, 15 July 2009 - 10:54 PM.

#7 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:49 PM

Days like these shut off my brain completely. A few more price bars on hourly is required to establish a bifucation point. My weekly ain't oversold yet. A major rally rarely starts from half oversold, non divergent conditions (last famous words ! :D ).

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#8 MikeyG

MikeyG

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:58 PM

Thank You, great work...

mdgcapital@protonmail.com  

papilioinvest.com

@papilioinvest

"One soul is worth more than the whole world." 

#9 rkd80

rkd80

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:15 PM

Thanks for the analysis Don, the SS are being whiplashed badly and many things that used to work simply are failing. I dont know if this is a harbinger or just the most intense rally since 1929. Are you fully short now, based on your signature it seems like your positions have been reduced.
“be right and sit tight”

#10 Echo

Echo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:16 PM

Very nice post, Don. Well thought out. Thanks. echo