• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:53 PM

3 gap play

Isn't this the 4th unfilled gap from the lows? This is excluding the intraday surges that looked like gaps! :lol:

Yes but this is the 3rd in a sequence close to each other. Forgot the exact rules, but the gaps have to be within x days of each other.

when I watched KWHY, in Los Angeles back in the early 80's as the bull mkt started rolling, Gene Morgan used to say" follow my pointer to the breakaway gap, extension gap, and finally exhaustion gap. 3 gaps

Lifted this from the "Exhaustion Gap" post below for the mention of Gene Morgan by tommyt.

Gene Morgan. Despite the troubles he got into later shilling cheap stocks, his show "Charting the Market" on KWHY in Los Angeles was one of the most important in the history of financial broadcasting.

And he certainly changed my life. I had just started trading and was making a bunch of money in Microsoft and Compaq in September of 1987 (I think you can see where this is going...) and feeling like the smartest guy in the world. Bought everything fully leveraged on the Friday before the crash, thinking that was a climax low and trying to get the bottom tick. Lost my life savings in the crash that Monday.

Watched Gene Morgan after the market closed on crash day.

In the chaos and destruction of that day, he mentioned that for "anyone who follows the McClellan Summation Index, this was no surprise." I thought W.T.F.? I was broke and catatonic for the next several weeks watching his show, and then on Friday, December 4, 1987, as the NY Composite tested and took out its October lows, Gene Morgan said "this looks like a McClellan buy spike, but we're going to have to wait until Monday to know for sure." Well, the market screamed up that Monday. Yes, Morgan said that was a "buy spike". He said it was safe to buy stocks now. And the market screamed again the next day, Tuesday. And when is rose again on Wednesday, confirming a low that may never be tested again (unless we have to start making trinkets for China), Morgan started off his show, beaming, with a quote I've never forgotten -- "Isn't it wonderful to once again witness the absolute infallibility of the McClellan Oscillator?"

Indeed. Today's an worthy day to once again bear witness.

So, tommyt, thanks for the memory.

For more KWHY memories:

SHERMAN McCLELLAN MTA PRESENTATION

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#2 tommyt

tommyt

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:57 PM

So, tommyt, thanks for the memory. For more KWHY memories: sure diogenes...I loved watching his show also, with his supposed illegitimate son Cliff Carper. What about Richard Ney?

#3 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:10 PM

So, tommyt, thanks for the memory.

For more KWHY memories:

sure diogenes...I loved watching his show also, with his supposed illegitimate son Cliff Carper. What about Richard Ney?

Richard Ney. That Rolls coming right into the camera? What, did live in Pasadena?

He died, I see, just in time to miss the NYSE going electronic. :D

Richard Ney

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#4 joe

joe

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:10 PM

thks for the memories...i did remember Gene Morgan and i also lost everything oct 1987, full leveraged right at Friday close before the crash. It took me a long while to make it back and more....it was scary !!!