Trading on Apple Mac System Question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jdjimenez

jdjimenez

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:40 AM

Anyone here trading on an Apple Mac system run into problems on their system? I have heard about problems with charts and some trading issues, and want first hand accounts. Thanks, JDJ

#2 LoNotes

LoNotes

• Traders-Talk User
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:05 AM

Anyone here trading on an Apple Mac system run into problems on their system?

I have heard about problems with charts and some trading issues, and want first hand accounts.

Thanks,

JDJ

I use a Mac for everything. What is it that you're having trouble with?

#3 jdjimenez

jdjimenez

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:12 AM

I have heard about problems with charts and some trading issues, and want first hand accounts.

Thanks,

JDJ

Considering buyng a Mac system and have only heard that they have issues with some brokerages and charting services.
Just tying to confirm.

#4 jdjimenez

jdjimenez

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:19 AM

Thanks,

JDJ

I've talked to the Scottrade Elite tech help & they said that I would have to run windows on the Mac because Elite does not work with Mac OS system. My broker at BrokersExpress told me that the only issues they ever have are with Mac systems also.

#5 LoNotes

LoNotes

• Traders-Talk User
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:21 AM

Thanks,

JDJ

I've talked to the Scottrade Elite tech help & they said that I would have to run windows on the Mac because Elite does not work with Mac OS system. My broker at BrokersExpress told me that the only issues they ever have are with Mac systems also.

Are you trading a futures platform or stocks and options?

#6 jdjimenez

jdjimenez

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:30 AM

Thanks,

JDJ

Stocks & options only.

#7 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:34 AM

Thanks,

JDJ

Considering buying a Mac system and have only heard that they have issues with some brokerages and charting services.
Just tying to confirm.

I have been using a MAC since 1996, small problems, but NONE AFTER 1999.
I don't have the "twin" Intel system, but hear that is better, but I have NO trouble and currently running a "i mac" fully loaded with all it will hold. Running Firefox, Safari, and Netscape browsers. Use firefox for the trading and the other two for info and or data. I can run three at once, have the biggie screen with three active slide windows. My friend has two of the biggies, wish I did, its neat. Need additional card for that.
Nice thing, no crashes, spam, bugs, virises etc.
No complaints here.
Best to you,
mss
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#8 jdjimenez

jdjimenez

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:47 AM

Thanks,

JDJ

Considering buying a Mac system and have only heard that they have issues with some brokerages and charting services.
Just tying to confirm.

I have been using a MAC since 1996, small problems, but NONE AFTER 1999.
I don't have the "twin" Intel system, but hear that is better, but I have NO trouble and currently running a "i mac" fully loaded with all it will hold. Running Firefox, Safari, and Netscape browsers. Use firefox for the trading and the other two for info and or data. I can run three at once, have the biggie screen with three active slide windows. My friend has two of the biggies, wish I did, its neat. Need additional card for that.
Nice thing, no crashes, spam, bugs, virises etc.
No complaints here.
Best to you,
mss

Thanks mss,

I want to keep using Scottrade Elite as I have really learned the system and do well with it. If I switch to a Mac I will just have to install Windows on it, just wanted to stop using windows. Windows on Mac what is this world coming to, lol.
JDJ

#9 LoNotes

LoNotes

• Traders-Talk User
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:52 AM

Thanks,

JDJ

Stocks & options only.

I have fairly updated Mac equipment. I've been using Etrade since 2006. ETrade Pro is a real time app, works flawlessly and is designed to work on the Mac. They have Mac tech support which I rarely need. I have a friend who is with Scottrade, and I never thought they catered to truly active traders.
I can watch everything in real time on Etrade Pro, but not futures.
Your other alternative is to get Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion and run Windows on your Mac.
Good luck.

Edited by LoNotes, 21 December 2009 - 10:53 AM.

#10 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:31 AM

Your other alternative is to get Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion and run Windows on your Mac.
Good luck.

Well if you do that it defeats the full usefulness of a Mac. I would think about switching to a trading system as "loNote" suggests they might be real easy to learn. I have found that quality platforms and trading houses have all updated to allow Mac's OX system. Be also aware that Windows 7 might be closer to the OX system than you think. Do alot of checking on both sides of this.
Best to you,
mss
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!