41 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:11 PM

Million dollar a year baby sitter.
Government waste personified.

It is easy to rail against big government spending, waste and fraud.
But this takes the cake.
I won't go into specifics to protect the guilty but...
A few years ago a certain person I know dropped out of school.
With no education or specific job skills she began babysitting for friends and neighbors.
Then she read about a government program for pre-school children.
She applied and was approved for a few kids whose "tuition" is paid for by the government.
The money was fabulous. More than she ever imagined making.
More than you or I would pay out of our own pocket, but heck, it's the "government's money." ;)
After a year or so the government expanded the program and again she was accepted for more kids at outrageous government "tuition" payments.
She is now personally raking in $1 million a year profit AFTER paying her staff of more than a dozen, many of whom have bachelor's degrees yet are paid much less than the drop-out baby-sitter!
This is just one person that I know of in just one small town.
How many more are out there?
Only their bookkeepers know for sure. ;)

#2 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 21,996 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:43 PM

How does one get a piece of THAT action? LOL!

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#3 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:28 PM

My point is that these well-intentioned government programs are often rife with excess, and sometimes outright fraud. Accountability is lost in the fog of papers, forms and bureaucracy.
The bigger the government, the bigger the waste.
And you wind up with million dollar baby sitters scattered across the country.
Or wealthy, powerful "community action programs" which are no more than political slush funds promoting more wasteful programs.

Woman sentenced for defrauding federally funded nutrition program
Associated Press
1/26/2010
OKLAHOMA CITY — A 64-year-old Tuttle woman has been sentenced to 3½ years in federal prison for defrauding a federally funded nutrition program out of more than $1.6 million.

Federal prosecutors say Mary L. Williams was sentenced Tuesday in federal court in Oklahoma City. She pleaded guilty in September to one count of theft of government property.

Williams is the former president of Guardian Angel, LLC, a Tuttle company that supervised federal funding to more than 500 daycare providers across Oklahoma.

Williams acknowledged submitting falsely inflated claims for federal reimbursement and then transferring the money into accounts her family controlled.
A telephone message left Tuesday with Williams' attorney was not immediately returned.

LINK

Edited by Rogerdodger, 26 January 2010 - 11:33 PM.

#4 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:43 AM

Note below that it is a newspaper which exposes the fraud NOT the government. The government doesn't seem care about the fraud. The politicians only want to administer the program for the "favors" they get in return.

Phantom caretaking, fake jobs used to defraud taxpayer-funded system

Jan. 25, 2009

On paper Angela Hale is a child-care provider.
She reported taking care of the same five kids seven days a week while their mom supposedly worked at a lawn-care service, even in the winter months.
The government paid Hale more than $30,000 last year for her child-care business.
It appears the government got duped. Hale didn't care for the kids at times she said she did, nor did the mom legitimately work, the Journal Sentinel found.

The newspaper spent four months investigating the $340 million taxpayer-financed child-care system known as Wisconsin Shares and uncovered a trail of phony companies, fake reports and shoddy oversight.

The program was designed to give low-wage working parents assistance with child care, encouraging them to get and keep jobs, rather than stay on welfare. While the need in many of the 34,000 cases is genuine, the system allows child-care providers and parents to easily con the system, capitalizing on children for public cash.

"Frankly if you kept it to a small scale and were satisfied to keep it to a grand a week, I don't know how you would ever get caught." State and local officials admit that when providers are caught billing for hours children are not actually in their care, it's typically treated as an error rather than as a crime.
And no parent has ever been criminally charged for fraudulently enrolling a child, prosecutors in the five counties said.
It's impossible to know the scope of the swindling.
The state hasn't completed a full audit of the program since 2001.

Even with access to only a limited number of cases, the Journal Sentinel was able to identify nearly $750,000 in suspicious child-care disbursements.

Posted Image

LINK

And child care is small potatoes compared to the health care system these same politicians want to administer.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 28 January 2010 - 12:53 AM.

#5 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:01 AM

DAYCARE OWNER SENTENCED FOR FRAUD CHARGES
November 5, 2009
Defrauds Louisiana Child Care Assistance Program of $220,697
Alexandria, La. - Pamela Gorden, 50, of Ferriday, La., the owner of Gorden’s Daycare and Learning
Center, was sentenced to 37 months in prison for defrauding the Louisiana Child Care Assistance Program out of $220,697.49.
LINK

#6 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:05 AM

State probes fraud at adult day cares

November 02, 2008
State investigators suspect nearly one-third of New Jersey's adult day care centers have committed Medicaid fraud. .
Link

Edited by Rogerdodger, 28 January 2010 - 01:07 AM.

#7 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:44 PM

Gotta love those government/union jobs too.

Madison Bus driver makes $159,258 in 2009.

Highest paid city government employee
Madison's highest paid city government employee last year wasn't the mayor. It wasn't the police chief. It wasn't even the head of Metro Transit.

It was bus driver John E. Nelson.
Nelson earned $159,258 in 2009, including $109,892 in overtime and other pay.
He and his colleague, driver Greg Tatman, who earned $125,598, were among the city's top 20 earners for 2009, city records show.
They're among the seven bus drivers who made more than $100,000 last year thanks to a union contract that lets the most senior drivers who have the highest base salaries get first crack at overtime.
LINK

In the meanwhile:
Financial turmoil for school finances across Wisconsin

No word yet from the Federal Government Takeover-Save the Unions committee but...
"Wisconsin residents should brace for more tax increases"
as 140,000 jobs and one-eighth of its manufacturing workforce have lost their jobs.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 08 February 2010 - 02:55 PM.

#8 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:39 PM

More: Gotta love those government/union jobs too.

The New Math: Union Pensionomics Levies Crushing Debt on State and Local Governments

How's this for an investment?
$124,000 = $3,800,000
One state retiree, 49 years old, paid, over the course of his entire career, a total of $124,000 towards his retirement pension and health benefits. What will we pay him? $3.3 million in pension payments over his life and nearly $500,000 for health care benefits -- a total of $3.8m on a $120,000 investment.

Or this:
$62,000 = $1,600,000
A retired teacher paid $62,000 towards her pension and nothing, yes nothing, for full family medical, dental and vision coverage over her entire career. What will we pay her?
$1.4 million in pension benefits and another $215,000 in health care benefit premiums over her lifetime.

These are real world examples from New Jersey's crushing public sector union retirement plans paid for by the state's taxpayers. The Governor is demanding drastic actions to prevent New Jersey from falling off the precipice and into full-fledged bankruptcy.

LINK

Edited by Rogerdodger, 15 February 2010 - 05:43 PM.

#9 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:10 PM

Million dollar a year baby sitter.
Government waste personified.

It is easy to rail against big government spending, waste and fraud.
But this takes the cake.
I won't go into specifics to protect the guilty but...
A few years ago a certain person I know dropped out of school.
With no education or specific job skills she began babysitting for friends and neighbors.
Then she read about a government program for pre-school children.
She applied and was approved for a few kids whose "tuition" is paid for by the government.
The money was fabulous. More than she ever imagined making.
More than you or I would pay out of our own pocket, but heck, it's the "government's money." ;)
After a year or so the government expanded the program and again she was accepted for more kids at outrageous government "tuition" payments.
She is now personally raking in $1 million a year profit AFTER paying her staff of more than a dozen, many of whom have bachelor's degrees yet are paid much less than the drop-out baby-sitter!
This is just one person that I know of in just one small town.
How many more are out there?
Only their bookkeepers know for sure. ;)

How much was the "tuition"?

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#10 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:26 PM

How much was the "tuition"?

For the user it's free.
For the tax payer, who knows.
Many states force home daycare to pay union dues.
There are lots of benefits for many and it's all free. :huh: