• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:31 PM

LINK
The company posted net income of $3.38 billion, or $3.67 a share, in the fiscal first quarter ended December 26, up from $2.26 billion, or $2.50 cents a share, in the year-ago period, when Apple was using the old accounting standard.

Revenue rose to $15.68 billion from $11.9 billion.

Apple forecast earnings for the current quarter of $11 billion to $11.4 billion on earnings of $2.06 to $2.18 a share.

Apple threw us a curveball: The company reported results in GAAP format, reflecting an accounting change that means they no longer have to distribute iPhone revenue and earnings over 24 months - Silicon Alley Insider bit.ly

DANIEL ERNST, ANALYST, HUDSON SQUARE RESEARCH
"It was a very good quarter, as expected. It's a continued sign that Apple has great products that consumers want despite this recession. They did 8.7 (million) iPhones -- underneath some of the more bullish expectations but they did 4.4 (million) the year before ... and they hadn't added a lot of new distribution in the quarter. This was just more of a same-store sales kind of figure showing the demand."

"Mac sales were phenomenal as well ... Macs continue to gain share and what's interesting is that it only has 3.6 percent share globally so there's a lot of headroom."

Analyst Commentary LINK

Edited by Rogerdodger, 25 January 2010 - 05:42 PM.

#2 IYB

IYB

• TT Patron+
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:12 PM

And speaking of curveballs, if it finishes up from regular session (now 205+), that will be the first major tech company that has managed to do that following AH earnings. That would be bullish. But the day ain't over yet..... :rolleyes:

Edited by IYB, 25 January 2010 - 06:13 PM.

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one.” Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

#3 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:30 PM

Apple Preps Fans for 'Major New' Tablet
Exhaustive Guide to Apple Tablet Rumors
Posted Image

Anyone who saw Avatar got a glimpse into the future of computer displays and tablets.

During last weeks show, Kim Komando said that keyboards and the good old mouse would go the way of the floppy disk within 5 years.
She recommended DragonNaturallySpeaking for $200 as the best speech recognition software for now.
They also offer specialized products for legal, medical, professional and even law enforcement.

The thought of it made me wonder how Mark's carpet tunnel was coming along. ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not as fancy as Avatar's computer screens but my son-in-law installs these "smartboards" in schools.
Posted Image

Edited by Rogerdodger, 25 January 2010 - 06:44 PM.

#4 Mike McCarthy

Mike McCarthy

• Traders-Talk User
  • 402 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:54 PM

Apple Preps Fans for 'Major New' Tablet
Exhaustive Guide to Apple Tablet Rumors
Posted Image

Anyone who saw Avatar got a glimpse into the future of computer displays and tablets.

During last weeks show, Kim Komando said that keyboards and the good old mouse would go the way of the floppy disk within 5 years.
She recommended DragonNaturallySpeaking for $200 as the best speech recognition software for now.
They also offer specialized products for legal, medical, professional and even law enforcement.

What next? The paperless office? :)

I doubt the keyboard will ever be wholly replaced by voice-recognition. I've used that stuff for a lot of years and never have crossed the line to fully rely on it. Mostly, you just can't work privately when you are talking out loud, and that seems to me an unfix able problem

Also, CNBC reported that 58% of Apple's revenues where overseas. I'm not sure if that was the total, or just Macs, or just iPhones. In any case, that's a pretty big number.

#5 Jnavin

Jnavin

• TT Member*
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:28 PM

Wow...I guess the stock should be at, what, $500? $600?

#6 spielchekr

spielchekr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:02 PM

What next? The paperless office? :)

I doubt the keyboard will ever be wholly replaced by voice-recognition. I've used that stuff for a lot of years and never have crossed the line to fully rely on it. Mostly, you just can't work privately when you are talking out loud, and that seems to me an unfix able problem

What's next? Either soundproof cubicles or mind-reading interfaces. Imagine what you could Google with that! :o

Edited by spielchekr, 25 January 2010 - 08:02 PM.

#7 milbank

milbank

• TT Patron+
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:41 PM

Wow...I guess the stock should be at, what, $500? $600?

Nah, that won't come until next year when they start using an even newer accounting standard! :lol:

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
--George Bernard Shaw

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free."
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

#8 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:31 AM

And speaking of curveballs, if it finishes up from regular session (now 205+), that will be the first major tech company that has managed to do that following AH earnings. That would be bullish. But the day ain't over yet..... :rolleyes:

I think Intel was also up in the after hours though, but it closed negative the next day.

#9 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:49 AM

I doubt the keyboard will ever be wholly replaced by voice-recognition. I've used that stuff for a lot of years and never have crossed the line to fully rely on it.

Touch screens and infrared eye trackers I think is what she was referring to.
Voice recognition is already gaining limited use as in the Ford SYNC.
Which makes sense for use while driving and the all pervasive texting. ;)

"As those who've joined the Sync My Ride generation already know, Ford SYNC may be the ultimate in convergence technology, marrying Internet, voice recognition and voice commands, and, of course, your cell phone, as an integral part of your car. With MyFord Touch - an LCD dashboard screen - coming this year, and with Ford SYNC available in dozens of models of Fords, working with most modern cell phones - the Ford SYNC system is now all grown up. (Want to know the best phone for Fords SYNC system? See below!) When Ford SYNC first launched, the system 'recognized' about 100 voice commands; this week Ford announced that SYNC in Fords now recognizes more than 10,000 commands - and that's just 'first level' commands, meaning those commands can be combined with other words and phrases."

Edited by Rogerdodger, 26 January 2010 - 01:51 AM.

#10 Mike McCarthy

Mike McCarthy

• Traders-Talk User
  • 402 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:44 PM

I doubt the keyboard will ever be wholly replaced by voice-recognition. I've used that stuff for a lot of years and never have crossed the line to fully rely on it.

Touch screens and infrared eye trackers I think is what she was referring to.
Voice recognition is already gaining limited use as in the Ford SYNC.
Which makes sense for use while driving and the all pervasive texting. ;)

"As those who've joined the Sync My Ride generation already know, Ford SYNC may be the ultimate in convergence technology, marrying Internet, voice recognition and voice commands, and, of course, your cell phone, as an integral part of your car. With MyFord Touch - an LCD dashboard screen - coming this year, and with Ford SYNC available in dozens of models of Fords, working with most modern cell phones - the Ford SYNC system is now all grown up. (Want to know the best phone for Fords SYNC system? See below!) When Ford SYNC first launched, the system 'recognized' about 100 voice commands; this week Ford announced that SYNC in Fords now recognizes more than 10,000 commands - and that's just 'first level' commands, meaning those commands can be combined with other words and phrases."

Should have said I doubt the keyboard will ever be replaced anything. Computers were supposed to replace paper, but there's more paper now than ever (and more electronic docs, too). I expect there will be more keyboards in the future (and more touch screens, voice recognition, eye ball tracking, and the Borg can't be that far off). Still, the keyboard ain't going away.