Photo

WILL YOU BAIL OUT CALIFORNIA?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: California Bailout

California Bailout

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TechMan

TechMan

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:19 PM

Some believe the Domino Effect of California default would make Lehman Brothers aftermath look like child's play since California stands alone as the world's 8th largest economy and its GSP equals 13% of the U.S. GDP. Assuming you're in power to make the decision, and it would indeed induce catastrophic outcome that could spread across the U.S. and perhaps the world, would you do what's necessary to bail California out?

Please cast your vote base NOT upon your ideological inclination but in the interests of the overall economy.

Thank you.

Posted Image

Edited by TechMan, 10 February 2010 - 08:29 PM.

#2 tomterrific14

tomterrific14

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:29 PM

Some believe the Domino Effect of California default would make Lehman Brothers aftermath look like child's play since California stands alone as the world's 8th largest economy and its GSP equals 13% of the U.S. GDP. Assuming you're in power to make the decision, and it would indeed induce catastrophic outcome that could spread across the U.S. and perhaps the world, would you do what's necessary to bail California out?

Please cast your vote base NOT upon your ideological inclination but in the interests of the overall economy.

Thank you.

Edit: Sorry I've duplicated this post by mistake... I'm still learning how to use this poll option.

Posted Image

Condition federal funds on California imposing a VAT, value added tax to pay back the US Treasury

#3 selecto

selecto

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,871 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:30 PM

Bailout? Would it be a tradeable low?

#4 TechMan

TechMan

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:31 PM

Condition federal funds on California imposing a VAT, value added tax to pay back the US Treasury

Thanks for brining these conditions up... Assuming California would accept what's reasonable and necessary to get the help it needs, what would be your vote?

#5 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,017 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:38 PM

Strikes me that a dramatic downsizing of the Cali State government would be great for the state. Certainly a frozen government means nothing to businesses who don't rely upon the teat of the beast. I doubt that most Americans want to bail their out of control government out. The feds will do it, of course, but only because they overestimate the importance of government.

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#6 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:51 PM

They raised the sales tax... The semis and tech have done better last year in general, it should generate good tax revenue for the state... Aren't these enough to balance the budget? I have no clue though about the balance sheet...

#7 TechMan

TechMan

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:56 PM

I doubt that most Americans want to bail their out of control government out. The feds will do it, of course, but only because they overestimate the importance of government.

That's what made me curious. Would people rather suffer the financial catastrophe...?

Let's see what the poll says...

#8 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,871 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:00 PM

Santa Anna would love to have it. No doubt at a very good price. ;)

#9 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:04 PM

WILL YOU BAIL OUT CALIFORNIA?

There's a choice? I thought the states were united?

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#10 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,871 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:15 PM

Seriously, California must cut back services, just as we have to do on a personal basis.

And yes there will be riots and death.
That will help.

Strike grounds flights, shut some schools, offices...
Thousands Protest Over Greece Pay Freezes
Posted Image

Edited by Rogerdodger, 10 February 2010 - 09:27 PM.