Solar power absurd

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#41 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:46 PM

Yes, absurd. A double from the November bottom. :D Do you ever buy stocks?

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#42 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:58 AM

Washington Post: The administration's entire green energy/clean energy program was about politics, not good policy

The documents reviewed by The Post ... show that as Solyndra tottered, officials discussed the political fallout from its troubles, the “optics” in Washington and the impact that the company’s failure could have on the president’s prospects for a second term. Rarely, if ever, was there discussion of the impact that Solyndra’s collapse would have on laid-off workers or on the development of clean-energy technology.

“What’s so troubling is that politics seems to be the dominant factor,” said Ryan Alexander, president of Taxpayers for Common Sense, a nonpartisan watchdog group. “They’re not talking about what the taxpayers are losing; they’re not talking about the failure of the technology, whether we bet on the wrong horse. What they are talking about is ‘How are we going to manage this politically?’ ”

The administration, which excluded lobbyists from policymaking positions, gave easy access to venture capitalists with stakes in some of the companies backed by the administration, the records show. Many of those investors had given to the 2008 campaign. Some took jobs in the administration and helped manage the clean-energy program.

green
-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#43 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:30 PM

Oil versus Clean Energy (XLE versus PBW)

Did anyone invest their life savings into clean energy?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

3 yr performance:

XLE +40%

PBW -44%
-- -
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#44 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:25 PM

"Green is Good" - Gordon Gekko :lol:

80% of ‘Green Energy’ Loans Went to Top Campaign Donors

Solyndra, Schweizer says, is only the tip of the iceberg.

According to his research, at least 10 members of the Administration's campaign finance committee and more than a dozen of his campaign bundlers were big winners in getting tax dollars from these programs. One chart in the book details how the 10 finance committee members collectively raised $457,834, and were in turn approved for grants or loans of nearly $11.4 billion -- quite a return on their investment.

In the loan-guarantee program alone, Schweizer writes, "$16.4 billion of the $20.5 billion in loans granted went to companies either run by or primarily owned by the Administration's financial backers -- individuals who were bundlers, members of Obama's National Finance Committee, or large donors to the Democratic Party." That is a staggering 71 percent of the loan money.

Throw Them All Out - Peter Schweitzer
-- -

#45 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

In the loan-guarantee program alone, Schweizer writes, "$16.4 billion of the $20.5 billion in loans granted went to companies either run by or primarily owned by the Administration's financial backers -- individuals who were bundlers, members of Obama's National Finance Committee, or large donors to the Democratic Party." That is a staggering 71 percent of the loan money.

They're giving "loans" to green energy while they're only giving "subsidies" to big oil? Absolutely disgraceful!

I often wonder if big oil will be able to survive in a green-energy future without its annual donations from taxpayers. :D

TIME FOR CONGRESS TO END BIG OIL SUBSIDIES

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#46 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:40 AM

First Solar Craters

Wall Street identified First Solar (FSLR) as one of “the 13 worst big stock stories of 2011,” with prospects looking poor for this year as well. Shares peaked just above $175 in February, but now stand at around $33, despite being named one of Forbes’s 25 fastest growing tech companies in America nearly a year ago.

The company’s stock collapse is alarming considering the massive infusion of government support, and the healthy boost it received when it was sold in 1999 to an investment firm that handled the Walton family’s money. The late John Walton, son of Walmart founder Sam Walton, reportedly infused First Solar with $150 million and took a seat on the company board. His estate unloaded much of its First Solar stock in mid-2009. Good timing.

The downturn in value led to the firing of company CEO Rob Gillette in October, which 24/7 Wall Street characterized as “strange and sudden.”

In addition the company spent heavily in that gravy train of states for renewable incentives, California. Bloomberg reported the company gave more than $150,000 to Golden State political campaigns last year – more than triple what BP gave – and has received $3.43 million in state sales tax credits.

First Solar will also quickly learn that markets for its energy technology do not exist. Its stock price has tanked even with those subsidies, so look for the job losses and taxpayer outrage to increase, just like with Solyndra.

FSLR
-- -

#47 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

A SOLAR COMEBACK PREDICTED FOR 2012 (YGE, FSLR, SPWR, STP)

Buy low, sell high, but timing is everything.

:)

#48 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

Progress. :)

Germany's Solar Power Output up 60 percent in 2011

More than half of Germany's renewable energy owned by farmers, citizens"

#49 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

In a land where pesticides are good for people, vegetables grow on trees, food and land are free... and unicorns run wild...
FEDERAL GOV'T SLAPS FINE FOR NOT USING BIOFUEL -- THAT DOES NOT EXIST!

Penalizing the fuel suppliers demonstrates what happens when the federal government really, really wants something that technology is not ready to provide.
The mandate requires the use of three alternative fuels: car and truck fuel made from cellulose, diesel fuel made from biomass and fuel made from biological materials but with a 50 percent reduction in greenhouse gases. Only the cellulosic fuel is commercially unavailable. As for meeting the quotas in the other categories, the refiners will not close their books until February and are not sure what will happen."

Edited by Rogerdodger, 10 January 2012 - 08:57 PM.

#50 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:35 PM

Of course that plan may just be about raising taxes without saying so.
I wonder who will pay the higher fuel prices in the end?
The FEDs rob us but blame evil fossil fuel producers.
Reel 'em in.

When the companies that supply motor fuel close the books on 2011, they will pay about $6.8 million in penalties to the Treasury because they failed to mix a special type of biofuel into their gasoline and diesel as required by law.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 10 January 2012 - 11:36 PM.