Did anybody on this board short TODAY?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 atlasshrugged

atlasshrugged

• TT Patron+
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:13 PM

perhaps i should throw some out here?????????? i am kind of chicken which means i am kinda right?

#2 IYB

IYB

• TT Patron+
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:39 PM

perhaps i should throw some out here??????????

i am kind of chicken which means i am kinda right?

Yep. Bot DZZ double leveraged short gold, and shorted small ES position. But they are small and just VST trades. Looking to be fully long again within a few days...

Edited by IYB, 08 March 2010 - 05:40 PM.

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one.” Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

#3 zoropb

zoropb

• Traders-Talk User
  • 8,392 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:43 PM

Twice took profit on one 3 points still in 2nd +2.75 so far stop 1139.50 I eat .25 if I get stopped on that one.

No longs today.

IC nice trade btw Excellent use of ATA (anti-technical analysis) :D

all small today first one was a 30% 2nd a whole 10%

Edited by zoropb, 08 March 2010 - 05:45 PM.

Love, be kind to one another, seek the truth, walk the narrow path between the ying and the yang.

#4 atlasshrugged

atlasshrugged

• TT Patron+
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:45 PM

Twice took profit on one 3 points still in 2nd +2.75 so far stop 1139.50 I eat .25 if I get stopped on that one.

No longs today.

thanks guys..that nr 7 following a WR7 on the naz is a HIGH probability short ....i should probably pull the trigger

Edited by atlasshrugged, 08 March 2010 - 05:46 PM.

#5 TechMan

TechMan

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:56 PM

Yep. Bot DZZ double leveraged short gold, and shorted small ES position. But they are small and just VST trades. Looking to be fully long again within a few days...

But, IYB - You just wrote this yesterday afternoon...

http://www.traders-t...howtopic=116890

Until we start seeing internal weakness versus price, of which we have none at present, weakness should be used for BUYING, not selling. Just my take. Good trading all. D

Sorry had to call you out, but I sure can understand why you'd do it. I have to fight my inner demon everyday just to keep me from shorting. The temptation's just too great to stay the course. Thanks to one of the members, opinionated, for reminding me this morning. Hey, I'm only huamn and I'm weak. It is what it is. What can I say?

Nonetheless, this made me wonder how many bulls are actually secretly shorting, not that there's anything wrong with it. There's nothing wrong going long or short; that's what makes the market. Just me thinking, as always...

Edited by TechMan, 08 March 2010 - 07:03 PM.

#6 zoropb

zoropb

• Traders-Talk User
  • 8,392 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:07 PM

No longs today.

IC just dumped the last one +3.50 net not going to be porky when the big trend is up. May go to 32-34 no problem I am a happy chicken and going to relax with some vino. :lol:

Love, be kind to one another, seek the truth, walk the narrow path between the ying and the yang.

#7 thespookyone

thespookyone

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:50 PM

Shorted Thursday, obviously a bit early,but holding. I think the mistake made by most here will be to go back long early, twt. That said, I think like IYB-it's a matter of days.

#8 MaryAM

MaryAM

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:10 PM

Shorted Thursday, obviously a bit early,but holding. I think the mistake made by most here will be to go back long early, twt. That said, I think like IYB-it's a matter of days.

No, but I sold my DOW Chemical position with just shy of a 100% gain in less than a year.
Mary Anne

#9 IYB

IYB

• TT Patron+
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:53 PM

Tech- been in meetings all afternoon. Saw your post from my Google Nexus, but I'm still not Tech-y enough to respond here at FF from the cell phone -- at least not yet. ;) Here's the rest of what I said, below with bolding added just now to highlight what expectation/read I'm basing today's shorts upon. That said -- my point was that for positioning - I still see the next round of real money as being made from nailing down the right long position on coming weakness at the right time and price- to the extent that that is possible..... and the pullback could, in fact be pretty significant. But then - there's less certainty in my mind as to the extent of the decline than as to the probability of more substantional advance after that correction if you get my drift. So while I wait for that decline...I took a token short trade today as said, emphasizing that the trades are relatively small and intended for VST.

I'm afraid I'm too tired after a long day today to dig down into my philosophical thoughts on counter trend trading, versus patience, and all. It's a great subject. It's just that I should tackle it when I have the time and energy to do the subject justice.

Best regards, D

Current observations:

The market is extremely overbought on hourly and daily as we are approaching the upper band of the channel from early February. But upside momentum is powerful, to say the least. I would conclude that the ST trend is very vulnerable to a strong pullback, but with NYMO and all other internal measures hitting new highs on Friday, the IT trend is very much intact. Some respected cycle analysts are calling for very a very sharp correction this week into the following Monday, and I wouldn't rule that out. BUT imho, this is the time to keep one's eye on the ball - the IT trend, and not lose perspective.

Until we start seeing internal weakness versus price, of which we have none at present, weakness should be used for BUYING, not selling. Just my take. Good trading all. D

But, IYB - You just wrote this yesterday afternoon...

http://www.traders-t...howtopic=116890

Sorry had to call you out, but I sure can understand why you'd do it. I have to fight my inner demon everyday just to keep me from shorting. The temptation's just too great to stay the course. Thanks to one of the members, opinionated, for reminding me this morning. Hey, I'm only huamn and I'm weak. It is what it is. What can I say?

Nonetheless, this made me wonder how many bulls are actually secretly shorting, not that there's anything wrong with it. There's nothing wrong going long or short; that's what makes the market. Just me thinking, as always...

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one.” Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

#10 TechMan

TechMan

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:28 PM

Tech- been in meetings all afternoon. Saw your post from my Google Nexus, but I'm still not Tech-y enough to respond here at FF from the cell phone -- at least not yet. Here's the rest of what I said, below with bolding added just now to highlight what expectation/read I'm basing today's shorts upon. That said -- my point was that for positioning - I still see the next round of real money as being made from nailing down the right long position on coming weakness at the right time and price- to the extent that that is possible..... and the pullback could, in fact be pretty significant. But then - there's less certainty in my mind as to the extent of the decline than as to the probability of more substantional advance after that correction if you get my drift. So while I wait for that decline...I took a token short trade today as said, emphasizing that the trades are relatively small and intended for VST.

I'm afraid I'm too tired after a long day today to dig down into my philosophical thoughts on counter trend trading, versus patience, and all. It's a great subject. It's just that I should tackle it when I have the time and energy to do the subject justice.

Best regards, D

Hey IYB - Didn't mean to add to your stress. I dig it, bro.

Now you take it easy and hang loose, alright?