• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:03 AM

Kansas City closes nearly half of its schools to save $50M per year...

link

#2 spoo tooth

spoo tooth

• Traders-Talk User
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:22 AM

really is a very difficult situation going forward. I do not think there is proper Production Means going forward to service the multi levels of DEBT.

#3 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:26 AM

Take a look at this: employment now
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#4 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:31 AM

My son is very gifted and the school basically told us that they don't need to talk to us since he is ahead of his schedule by several years! This is the mentality, they expect him to revert to the mean to necessitate to talk to us! Instead, I would've expected them to focus what they can do with this kid to reach his full potential. It appears the parents are still supposed to do the heavy lifting because all the schools tell to the parents when they actually meet is to get their act together to get their kid to learn and achieve the average!

#5 cgnx

cgnx

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:56 AM

Send him to college. The problem also is everyone wants special treatment. Your blessed to have a gifted child. Don't expect special treatment. I feel much more for the parents who struggle everyday with a child who has problems. As always, if you want something, you can always find a way to get it, don't rely on somebody else. We do as a society bend over backwards for those less fortunate and although I may not like it at times, I consider that my charitable contribution. But I would complain about throwing public money to pay for the smarter kids. Make sense?
If it can be cornered, it will.

#6 cycletimer

cycletimer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:24 AM

My son is very gifted and the school basically told us that they don't need to talk to us since he is ahead of his schedule by several years!

This is the mentality, they expect him to revert to the mean to necessitate to talk to us! Instead, I would've expected them to focus what they can do with this kid to reach his full potential.

It appears the parents are still supposed to do the heavy lifting because all the schools tell to the parents when they actually meet is to get their act together to get their kid to learn and achieve the average!

Can we assume your gifted (you are blessed!) son is far enough ahead of the other kids in his grade that he could actually take a year sabbatical and learn to trade alongside his old man?! :D

#7 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:34 AM

Wouldn't be nice? But, I want him to spend his time on arts, science and math for now, these are the kind of kids who can take the society to the next level. Perhaps I will also finish the trading career in a few years, health is one issue and all the other things to do out there is another...

#8 cycletimer

cycletimer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:37 AM

Wouldn't be nice? But, I want him to spend his time on arts, science and math for now, these are the kind of kids who can take the society to the next level. Perhaps I will also finish the trading career in a few years, health is one issue and all the other things to do out there is another...

Health? Maybe I can help you there or offer suggestions by thinking "out of the box" which may or not be counter to medical doctors... email me:
kirktaylor966@aol.com (and visit my blog)

#9 babs

babs

• Traders-Talk User
  • 184 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:40 AM

My son is very gifted and the school basically told us that they don't need to talk to us since he is ahead of his schedule by several years!

This is the mentality, they expect him to revert to the mean to necessitate to talk to us! Instead, I would've expected them to focus what they can do with this kid to reach his full potential.

It appears the parents are still supposed to do the heavy lifting because all the schools tell to the parents when they actually meet is to get their act together to get their kid to learn and achieve the average!

The Dumbing Down of America continues. Teaching is done to a standardized test, not to ability. I had a daughter penalized for TOO much information in a science report.

#10 dasein

dasein

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:11 AM

in the old days, when I grew up, there were public schools for "gifted" children, advanced schools, schools specialized in arts or sciences. these schools were frowned upon in the post 68 years - "elitist", but in NYC, they still exist, albeit with some dilution to appear more "demographically balanced. Alas, NY has c. 7mill residents, in a town with 20 - 100K residents, it is probably not possible to have this degree of specialization, especially when so much needs to be paid for remedial learning now that it is not allowed to flunk kids, and for all the assistance with English as a second language, which my mother, as a kid from the immigrant "ghetto," somehow never needed. klh
best,
klh