Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:09 AM

Money And School Performance:
Lessons from the Kansas City Desegregation Experiment
by Paul Ciotti

(Excerpts:)
"For decades critics of the public schools have been saying, "You can't solve educational problems by throwing money at them." The education establishment and its supporters have replied, "No one's ever tried." In Kansas City they did try. To improve the education of black students and encourage desegregation, a federal judge invited the Kansas City, Missouri, School District to come up with a cost-is-no-object educational plan and ordered local and state taxpayers to find the money to pay for it. Kansas City spent as much as $11,700 per pupil--more money per pupil, on a cost of living adjusted basis, than any other of the 280 largest districts in the country. The money bought higher teachers' salaries, 15 new schools, and such amenities as an Olympic-sized swimming pool with an underwater viewing room, television and animation studios, a robotics lab, a 25-acre wildlife sanctuary, a zoo, a model United Nations with simultaneous translation capability, and field trips to Mexico and Senegal. The student-teacher ratio was 12 or 13 to 1, the lowest of any major school district in the country.

The results were dismal. Test scores did not rise; the black-white gap did not diminish; and there was less, not greater, integration.

The Kansas City experiment suggests that, indeed, educational problems can't be solved by throwing money at them, that the structural problems of our current educational system are far more important than a lack of material resources, and that the focus on desegregation diverted attention from the real problem, low achievement.

...Once the magnet plan started, the district suddenly went from having 100 bus routes to having 850. At a given bus stop, it was not uncommon to find 10 kids going to 10 different schools.

"By the time he recused himself from the case in March 1997, Clark had approved dozens of increases, bringing the total cost of the plan to over $2 billion--$1.5 billion from the state and $600 million from the school district (largely from increased property taxes).

...With that money, the district built 15 new schools and renovated 54 others. Included were nearly five dozen magnet schools, which concentrated on such things as computer science, foreign languages, environmental science, and classical Greek athletics. Those schools featured such amenities as an Olympic-sized swimming pool with an underwater viewing room; a robotics lab; professional quality recording, television, and animation studios; theaters; a planetarium; an arboretum, a zoo, and a 25-acre wildlife sanctuary; a two-floor library, art gallery, and film studio; a mock court with a judge's chamber and jury deliberation room; and a model United Nations with simultaneous translation capability.

...To entice white students to come to Kansas City, the district had set aside $900,000 for advertising, including TV ads, brochures, and videocassettes. If a suburban student needed a ride, Kansas City had a special $6.4 million transportation budget for busing. If the student didn't live on a bus route, the district would send a taxi. Once the students got to Kansas City, they could take courses in garment design, ceramics, and Suzuki violin. The computer magnet at Central High had 900 interconnected computers, one for every student in the school. In the performing arts school, students studied ballet, drama, and theater production. They absorbed their physics from Russian-born teachers, and elementary grade students learned French from native speakers recruited from Quebec, Belgium, and Cameroon.(17)

...For students in the classical Greek athletic program, there were weight rooms, racquetball courts, and a six-lane indoor running track better than those found in many colleges. The high school fencing team, coached by the former Soviet Olympic fencing coach, took field trips to Senegal and Mexico.(18)

...The ratio of students to instructional staff was 12 or 13 to 1, the lowest of any major school district in the country.(19) There was $25,000 worth of beads, blocks, cubes, weights, balls, flags, and other manipulatives in every Montessori-style elementary school classroom. Younger children took midday naps listening to everything from chamber music to "Songs of the Humpback Whale." For working parents the district provided all-day kindergarten for youngsters and before- and after-school programs for older students.

...In successful school districts, neighborhood schools are the hub of much community social activity. When students are bused clear across the district to a faraway magnet school, the fabric of the community is torn apart.

...Finally, the district had discovered that it was easier to meet the court's 60/40 integration ratio by letting black students drop out than by convincing white students to move in. As a result, nothing was done in the early days of the desegregation plan about the district's appalling high school dropout rate, which averaged about 56 percent in the early 1990s (when desegregation pressures were most intense) and went as high as 71 percent at some schools (for black males it was higher still).

...Many people have suggested ideas for improving the schools: replacing the school board; hiring a dean and a full-time counselor for troubled children; coming up with a new curriculum; encouraging parental involvement, now close to nonexistent; and improving communication. So far, however, no one has suggested solutions that might actually work. One reason is that school officials are so wedded to the notion that money is the solution to low achievement that, when they have money and it doesn't help, they don't know what to do.

...In the meantime, they ignore ideas that might work. They might fire poor teachers and reward good ones with merit pay, give parents vouchers so they could send their children to private schools, or stop trying to solve the problem of dysfunctional families after the fact and look upstream for a solution--the elimination of welfare to end the resulting social chaos."
LINK

Edited by Rogerdodger, 12 March 2010 - 12:21 AM.

#22 Trendy

Trendy

• Traders-Talk User
  • 400 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:25 PM

A lot of what's going on in that article. Another thing was affluent and white flight to Kansas side of Stateline Road into Overland Park, Olathe, and Shawnee districts. What was left behind were the poorer performing students. You should see the Olathe boom with all the new schools built there. Johnson county, KS now same size as Sedgwick county where I live with about 500k population in each.

#23 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:51 PM

I remember pulling into a McDonalds late one night in Kansas City in the 70's.
A police officer came up to our car and suggested that we were on the wrong side of town and should leave if we valued out lives!!! :o

We left.

Overland Park, Kansas (south of Kansas City) is nice. We love The New Theatre.
There we've seen Hailey Mills, Tom Bosley, Jack Klugman, and Don Knots among others.

#24 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:26 PM

As another Tulsan, the late Paul Harvey used to say:
"Now wash your ears out with this:"

Inner City Charter School Gets 100% of Its Black Men in to College
Boyce Watkins, PhD
Mar 9th 2010
Posted Image
Urban Prep certainly scores a point for charter schools.

There is one public, all-male, all–African American high school in the city of Chicago called "The Urban Prep Academy for Young Men," located in Englewood. The school recently got the attention of Mayor Richard Daley and Chicago Public Schools Chief Ron Huberman, when they were able to get all of their 107 seniors accepted in to 72 different colleges across the country.

The school has a very strict dress code, consisting of black blazers, khaki pants and a red tie. The red tie is swapped out for a gold one once the student is accepted in to college. When one student, Rayvaughn Hines, was asked which college he was accepted to, he said, "Do you want me to name them all?"

Urban Prep has a unique set of hurdles. It is in a troubled part of the city, and only 4 percent of the incoming freshmen could read at grade level. With hard work and persistence, the students who could not read at grade level four years ago are now on their way to college.
LINK

#25 Dex

Dex

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:00 PM

Excuse me; I didn't read all the post. The KC school system expanded under a desegregation court order that pumped 1.5B? into it and then was stopped - please check my facts. A couple of other points - Public schools have been a pit of despair since I was in grammar school in the '60s in NYC. To understand where we are heading we must get rid of looking at the period of time from 1945 to now - if not a bit earlier. That period of time was an unusual time due to WWII and the baby boom. My guess is that historians will call it the golden age of the USA. In the USA we will revert to the norm of a larger poor class, smaller middle class and smaller rich class. If you have children I would advise them to find a Federal Government job. That is one of the fed organizations that will be able to provide a middle class life style - reasonable hours of work, job security, health benefits, pension and retirement at an early age.
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. "
17_16

#26 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:08 AM

Excuse me; I didn't read all the post. The KC school system expanded under a desegregation court order that pumped 1.5B? into it and then was stopped - please check my facts.

No it wasn't stopped it was a disaster and failed under it's own weight.

I tell my grandson all the time to look for a government or union job.
Even bus drivers make $150K.
Baby sitters can make a million with the right government programs.
Federal & union jobs will soon be the only jobs.
That's the plan anyway.
Federal car companies, Federal banks, even Federal states.

#27 MaryAM

MaryAM

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:18 PM

Excuse me; I didn't read all the post. The KC school system expanded under a desegregation court order that pumped 1.5B? into it and then was stopped - please check my facts.

No it wasn't stopped it was a disaster and failed under it's own weight.

I tell my grandson all the time to look for a government or union job.
Even bus drivers make $150K.
Baby sitters can make a million with the right government programs.
Federal & union jobs will soon be the only jobs.
That's the plan anyway.
Federal car companies, Federal banks, even Federal states.

GM and Chrysler failed because of Union demands and primarily Health Insurance costs. Schools are failing because of Union demands and health insurance costs - 1/3 of most town budgets are health insurance costs -Schools fail not because of money, but because there are a lot of students who are genetically defective being mainstreamed into the system who should not be there - and need to be schooled separately (special education) so that they don't disrupt the education of normal students. High school should be only college prep only and only for those that qualify - all others should be sent to vocational schools. No government job - especially education - should be union - its not the government - ITS THE UNIONS STUPID. I get my health care from the VA - so did my significant other who by the way passed away three years ago due to cancer but they went through hoops to save him. We have had the best health care in the world - if you are a government employee or a veteran - but screw everyone else like private employment. The VA is not UNION - so they can get rid of everyone who is a jerk and they do an excellent job. I cannot get insurance - even though I can afford it I think - the last quote I got 10 years ago was $17,000 per year with a $10,000 deductible and the a 20/80 co pay - but no one will quote me now because I have asthma. I don't know what the answers are - but everything seems upside down - no logic - and the dumbing down of America seems to be serving only those who have collectively dumbded us down.. I don't think we even have enough population that is educated enough to educate the next generation. Fortunately I am old enough, that I will be dead by the time this all collapses.
Mary Anne