• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#11 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:02 PM

I think you all are missing the big picture. I MISS the seventies. There was no work, so we all smoked a lot of pot, took qualudes, did a lot disco, hung out with each other, lived together (like the Bunkers) and had no annoying distractions - from work, to "multi-tasking" etc. It really was a much better time in many ways. A big recession/depression, while painful on some levels may actually be a whole lotta fun in some ways. Are you with me on this one? mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#12 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:09 PM

RD, How do you prepare for a pole flip or a tsunami ? If any of the events predicted by these mostly-wrong soothsayers were to happen, even the most well thought out preparations will only look silly !

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#13 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:31 PM

RD, How do you prepare for a pole flip or a tsunami ? If any of the events predicted by these mostly-wrong soothsayers were to happen, even the most well thought out preparations will only look silly !

I live under the assumption that I am never really in control. Stuff happens.
However, I wear my seatbelt, and lock my doors.
I have been hoarding cash and staying out of debt, like many seem to be doing.
(Note that personal debt is dropping like a rock: http://www.usdebtclock.org/)
I live modestly but try to have a bit of fun with friends and family.
Worry is deadly, sensible preparation is security, at least psychologically, and that's important.
IMHO B)
And in the end, I'm dead anyway.

Financially Landry has recommended bonds and a bit of gold, using his modified "best bond strategy."

Edited by Rogerdodger, 12 August 2010 - 12:39 PM.

#14 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:36 PM

Financially Landry has recommended bonds and a bit of gold, using his modified "best bond strategy."

U.S government will default and the Gold will be confiscated anyways. :P

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#15 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:45 PM

U.S government will default and the Gold will be confiscated anyways.

I know.
I predict that the World Series of Poker will use aluminum cans as chips in the near future.
:lol:

Posted Image

Edited by Rogerdodger, 12 August 2010 - 12:48 PM.

#16 The Right Look

The Right Look

• Traders-Talk User
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:51 PM

I think you all are missing the big picture. I MISS the seventies. There was no work, so we all smoked a lot of pot, took qualudes, did a lot disco, hung out with each other, lived together (like the Bunkers) and had no annoying distractions - from work, to "multi-tasking" etc. It really was a much better time in many ways. A big recession/depression, while painful on some levels may actually be a whole lotta fun in some ways. Are you with me on this one?

mm

I'm right there with you MM. Sad to say but in reality this whole country needs a reset....especially our elected officals.

#17 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:57 PM

I'm right there with you MM. Sad to say but in reality this whole country needs a reset....especially our elected officals.

Something like 82% of them have NEVER been in the private sector.
It's the childless expert writing the book on how to raise teenagers. :rolleyes:

Thus the 80 year depression bottom.
It's a generational reboot.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 12 August 2010 - 12:58 PM.

#18 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:40 PM

Please don't get me started on "elected officials". Its the PEOPLE who elect them for darn sake. Each one of us is responsible for how we choose to live our lives. There is NO blame on the "elected officials". The only blame is either voter stupidity and/or voter apathy. And voter lack of intelligence about the laws of our country. When more people either don't care or get their "information" from Cable News "sound bites"... well, what do you expect. Some of our elected officials are pretty smart and hard working and caring. mm

#19 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:23 PM

No depression headlines here: YOUTH UNEMPLOYMENT HITS RECORD HIGH JOBLESS CLAIMS JUMP TO HIGHEST SINCE FEB... Homes lost to foreclosure up 6% from last year... DEFICIT ADDS $165,040,000,000.00 -- IN ONE MONTH! California can't pay bills -- may use IOUs for August payments... NEW WORLD ORDER: BAILOUTS HELPED FOREIGN FIRMS... Housing crisis reaches full boil in East Point; 62 injured "A chaotic crowd of 30000 people showed up to get on Section 8 waiting list"

#20 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:02 PM

censored again, huh? Well, that's what you get for being a 58 year old professional, I guess. Censored.