• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,015 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:09 PM

Did you ever think that maybe the world did end...and we went to hell via a Trojan? :lol:

Roger,

Arch's Aug 1 +/- week window is behind us. :)

I have a feeling, Laundry's 80 year cycle bottom will also end up like Arch's Cardinal climax non-event. These soothsayers abilities and track record are pretty embarassing and dismal ! I was talking to some astro guy and he said this whole 2012 mayan calendar stuff is pure baloney and is a result of miscalculation and the real event is in 2112 :lol: :lol: Unfarginbeleivable ! :lol:

I gotta tell you, Nav, while I don't use it, I know Arch has an uncanny record of identifying the times of dramatic events in the market. I will say, he often gets the direction wrong, but when you're dealing with long term predictions based upon Astro, I cut slack. My opinion is that he's onto something. Probably natural cyclicality.

Again, I don't use it, but I don't diss it either.

Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#22 salsabob

salsabob

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:18 PM

Something like 82% of them have NEVER been in the private sector.
It's the childless expert writing the book on how to raise teenagers.

The flip side of this, of course, is expecting those who make, move or sell or invest in or speculate on widgets to know anything about making public policy.

The fact that this latter little tidbit has just about disappeared while the former is taken as universal law just shows the impact of 20 of the 80 years know as the 3rd Turning.

Getting that back in balance will be evidence that the 4th Turning Crisis (caused in no small part by the imbalance) is near complete and the "generational reboot" is actually underway.

Stay tuned. ;)
John Galt shrugged, outsourced to Red China and opened a hedge fund for unregulated securitized credit derivatives.

If the world didn't suck, wouldn't we all just fly off?

#23 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:04 PM

There are people who have run a successful business for years. I'd take one of them anyday over an intellectual with no real world experience. The problem is, they are smart enough to not be interested. And don't want the pay cut. :lol:

#24 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:52 PM

Actually its a poor argument, Roger. Every day doctors are told by their patients, "How can you know what it feels like" or "you've never been obese, how can you know how to help me?". Etc. I've never had a heart attack, cancer, insulin dependent diabetes, and on and on, buy I'm extremely "intellectually" able and capable of treating those problems. The idea that all of "those" people in government are unable to legislate because of lack of "real world" experience sounds hollow. think about it. mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#25 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:45 PM

Actually its a poor argument, Roger.

You are totally wrong there.
I'd say a good doctor is known by his patient's health.
I'd say good leader's are known the the health of their government.
http://www.usdebtclock.org/
YOUTH UNEMPLOYMENT HITS RECORD HIGH
JOBLESS CLAIMS JUMP TO HIGHEST SINCE FEB...
Homes lost to foreclosure up 6% from last year...
DEFICIT ADDS $165,040,000,000.00 -- IN ONE MONTH!
California can't pay bills -- may use IOUs for August payments...
NEW WORLD ORDER: BAILOUTS HELPED FOREIGN FIRMS...
Housing crisis reaches full boil in East Point; 62 injured
"A chaotic crowd of 30000 people showed up to get on Section 8 waiting list"

The statists welfare state is terminal.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 12 August 2010 - 09:46 PM.

#26 salsabob

salsabob

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:16 PM

There are people who have run a successful business for years.
I'd take one of them anyday over an intellectual with no real world experience.
The problem is, they are smart enough to not be interested.
And don't want the pay cut. :lol:

Depends on what kind of experience for what kind of job now doesn't it?

Would you let any one of the CEOs from the Fortune 500 attempt to remove a tumor from your brain stem? Why is that any more silly than expecting them to know the right balance between a myriad of social issues and priorities, interpret and best apply the Federalist Papers, or decide to send our children into war? Our government was purposefully made to be highly inefficient in its decision making by the Founding Fathers, why would someone use to a highly-competitive profit-making world of widget-making where efficiency is prized be expected to do well?

Not recognizing the differences between the two worlds, cheapens both.

Thankfully, not everyone is just in it for the money. Don't ask me (I make lots of it), ask one of my kids though - he's a U.S. Marine.
Myself, as his dad, I would hope our leaders have something more going on than just knowing how to make money.
John Galt shrugged, outsourced to Red China and opened a hedge fund for unregulated securitized credit derivatives.

#27 salsabob

salsabob

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:23 PM

Well, call it what you will, but just like democracy - its crap but it's better crap than any alternative. Well, with the exception of me being king. ;)

#28 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:29 PM

Wrong again. Illogical thinking. A doctor is not responsible for his patient's health by your view. I'm very smart about COPD but I can't make my patient stop smoking. I'm really, really smart about coronary artery disease, how to prevent it, diagnose it, treat it, etc. But I can't make all my patients eat right, exercise, check their cholesterol, etc. Way off base here. Likewise you are smart enough to know that the economic problems we are facing are generational and global. AND not the result of any one governmental ruling or action, but the cumulative action of many administrations over many decades. We've had good years and bad years. There have been good decisions and bad decisions. Its the circle of life. If you get caught in the game of "throw the bums out" (insert whichever administration is in power when things are not going your way), you make the debate silly. Spock would totally smack you for your illogical arguments. By your reckoning, was there EVER anyone in office who knew what they were doing? Probably not, otherwise we wouldn't have had slavery, the crash of 29, the great depression, Japanese internment camps or whatever and so on.... mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#29 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:33 AM

Actually its a poor argument, Roger.

You are totally wrong there.
I'd say a good doctor is known by his patient's health.
I'd say good leader's are known the the health of their government.
http://www.usdebtclock.org/
YOUTH UNEMPLOYMENT HITS RECORD HIGH
JOBLESS CLAIMS JUMP TO HIGHEST SINCE FEB...
Homes lost to foreclosure up 6% from last year...
DEFICIT ADDS $165,040,000,000.00 -- IN ONE MONTH!
California can't pay bills -- may use IOUs for August payments...
NEW WORLD ORDER: BAILOUTS HELPED FOREIGN FIRMS...
Housing crisis reaches full boil in East Point; 62 injured
"A chaotic crowd of 30000 people showed up to get on Section 8 waiting list"

RD,

I gotta agree with you.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#30 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,870 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:23 PM

So Doc you and I agree on individual responsibility. However I'd be more likely to die or suffer sooner from a bad doctor than a cigarette. Wisdom is proved by what it produces. The wisdom of elitists with no real world experience is producing rotten fruit. It always does. They think that when the poor are out of bread from excessive, oppressive rule, then they can always eat cake. They have no clue. History is full of bad rulers, and even a few wise, good rulers. An old saying goes something like this: When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked bears rule, the people mourn. History also shows me that power corrupts and absolute power...you know the rest. I'm not for any one political team, I'm for individual responsibility with it's brother, small, restrained government. Worldwide we seem to have gotten to the point where the governments which are big enough to give you all you want, are big enough to take all you have. And they are failing under their own bloated, corrupt weight.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 13 August 2010 - 05:35 PM.