Not sursprised

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 vitaminm

vitaminm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:30 PM

Cuz there are so many excellent trading vehicles with healthy volatility.....emerging markets, currency pairs and some select commodities.............. How an hourly charts will work differently on these excellent trading vehicles? any examples?
vitaminm

#22 vitaminm

vitaminm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:11 PM

I prefer a 21 period EMA...............fib

spx...21ema 1296.43

When you buy a stock do you always use 21ema as stop or a mental stop?

How do you manage a stock when it's price crosses down 21ema? Do you sell it?

Indicator Performance Analysis - (20 Day Moving Average vs Price)

http://barchart.com/performance.php?sym=$INX&sig=4

One may look this chart in various time frames.

http://barchart.com/.....F09/2011#jump

Who prefers 26 dma as stop?

I prefer a 21 period EMA...we all have our preferences.

Fib

Edited by vitaminm, 09 February 2011 - 11:13 PM.

vitaminm

#23 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:37 AM

For day trading purposes, I like to use a 21 period EMA on the 5 minute chart as part as disciplined buy and sell strategy.

Buys and sells are executed on two consecutive "closing periods" either above or below the EMA.

Directional bias of the trade itself is based on daily trending criteria.

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#24 TechMan

TechMan

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:20 AM

For day trading purposes, I like to use a 21 period EMA on the 5 minute chart as part as disciplined buy and sell strategy.

Buys and sells are executed on two consecutive "closing periods" either above or below the EMA.

Fib

All right, assuming he had cashed out at the end, even though there's no "sell" signal, then it'd only be a loss of 14 points for yesterday.

Posted Image

#25 TechMan

TechMan

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:39 AM

All right, assuming he had cashed out at the end, even though there's no "sell" signal, then it'd only be a loss of 14 points for yesterday.

Posted Image

CORRECTION: 11 points loss instead of 14 had he got out at the end of the session.

Edited by TechMan, 10 February 2011 - 08:40 AM.

#26 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:50 AM

You evidently have way too much time on your hands, and you might want to try re-reading the trigger points, as well as, the last sentence. You might also want to consider other criteria that I didn't mention that are part of the system as well (I can't give it all away...some due diligence on the readers part is highly recommended).

Now, if your objective to all of this is to make me look like I can be wrong, that I'm not perfect, and that I'm only human, let me help you out - I can be...I'm not...and I had no choice in the manner.

Congratulations.

Have a pleasant day.

Fib

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

#27 TechMan

TechMan

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:58 AM

Fib, my guardian angel, take it easy. I'm sorry if it came across as such. It's nothing more than just a "friendly jabbing". You did it to me, and I did it back at ya. I'm not trying to prove anything. Of course, no one's perfect. O.K.? We're cool on my end. Have a great day too.

Edited by TechMan, 10 February 2011 - 09:00 AM.

#28 IndexTrader

IndexTrader

• TT Patron+
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:07 AM

Fib

Posted Image

Using the 21 EMA on a 5 minute chart of the ES, figuring a signal when it closes 2 times under/over the EMA, I get that you would have had a flat performance. That included shorting the gap down. BTW, I would never use SPX to figure trading results. You can't trade SPX. However, when I look through the trades you show on your SPX chart, I don't know where you're getting your numbers. That trade that you show -6, I show -3.50. Then the next trade you show -3, I show 0. Obviously there's a short there that has a profit, and a long trade toward the end of the day that has a profit, one of which you say is a loss, the other of which you don't show at all. All in all, the performance was flat at worst, you might have even eked out a margin gain, less than a point, but I threw that out because it's difficult to tell exactly what the execution was, and there were commissions.

IT

Edited by IndexTrader, 10 February 2011 - 09:16 AM.

#29 vitaminm

vitaminm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:16 AM

You might also want to consider other criteria that I didn't mention that are part of the system as well..........

Why not share other criteria?

http://barchart.com/.....F09/2011#jump

Can some do a back testing on this chart!

You evidently have way too much time on your hands, and you might want to try re-reading the trigger points, as well as, the last sentence. You might also want to consider other criteria that I didn't mention that are part of the system as well (I can't give it all away...some due diligence on the readers part is highly recommended).

Now, if your objective to all of this is to make me look like I can be wrong, that I'm not perfect, and that I'm only human, let me help you out - I can be...I'm not...and I had no choice in the manner.

Congratulations.

Have a pleasant day.

Fib

vitaminm

#30 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:29 AM

Why not share other criteria?

How much is it worth to you? :)

Regardless of any tweaks, as IT has taken the time to provide, if you're one who wishes to play the scalping game, this simple method works quite well and keeps you in touch with the market on a daily basis.

Fib