Photo

"Fukushima Forecast: Massive radiation cloud nearing California on April 11 (VIDEO)."...

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#11 teknobucks

teknobucks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:59 AM

The futures are looking positive so looks like another good day coming for bulls.

I never liked California anyway, lived there for a year and hated it B)

lol....lived in los angeles for 16 years......only thing other than friends we miss is the fantastic mom & pop mexican restaurants! florida has the worst mexican food ever fwiw

bottom line.....if you like taxes, traffic, third worlders, & cold ocean water then so~cal is a great place 2 live.....;)

ps: best ever chinese also...."twin dragon"...near the corner of pico and la cienaga

#12 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:40 AM

Reuters FLASH: Toyota says to restart production at all Japan factories from April 18 to April 27

#13 milbank

milbank

• TT Patron+
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:50 AM

I doubt any radiation coming across the ocean from Japan will be worse than the amount of fallout and the affects of the bomb tests done in the '50s through the early '60s on the part of the U.S. east of the test sites and along the route of the mid-country jet stream. Perhaps it may affect the west coast to some degree but, the real tragedy is going to be in Japan for many generations.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
--George Bernard Shaw

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free."
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

#14 dcengr

dcengr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:53 AM

I doubt any radiation coming across the ocean from Japan will be worse than the amount of fallout and the affects of the bomb tests done in the '50s through the early '60s on the part of the U.S. east of the test sites and along the route of the mid-country jet stream. Perhaps it may affect the west coast to some degree but, the real tragedy is going to be in Japan for many generations.

Actually it can be greater...

Bombs only have small amounts of radioactive matter in them.. like 30 lbs of plutonium or 100 lbs of uranium.

A reactor can have like 10,000 lbs of uranium.. ofcourse not all of it is coming out like in a bomb.
Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?

#15 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:18 AM

I've been living in Los Angeles for 15 years, there is amazing variety in this city for food (from Brazilian to Chinese to French) to its people. The ocean is cold, but has nice surf and warm enough in summer, yet it is the reason of low humidity and it is always warm here. The city can never be too boring due to the movie culture, I was employed in the movie industry for a decad, but you need to know where to go.

#16 Bob-C

Bob-C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,316 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:04 AM

Hi everyone, according to a report from enenews.com, "100 miles from Fukushima: Leak from spent fuel pools at two reactors after quake — Cooling system temporarily stopped April 8th, 2011 at 10:56 AM." The report states:

Water leaks from Onagawa atomic plant after latest quake, Deutsche Presse-Agentur, April 8, 2011:

… Tohoku Electric Power Co, which runs the Onagawa Nuclear Power Plant in Miyagi prefecture, said water leaked from spent-fuel pools at two reactors and also from other parts of the plant. …

The plant, whose operations have been suspended since a magnitude-9 March 11 earthquake, lost two of its three external power connections in Thursday night's [7.4 magnitude] aftershock, causing the cooling system for the spent-fuel pools to temporarily stop. …

Thursday's quake killed three people and injured about 140…

Read the report here.

Bob-C
Disclaimer: None of my posts are meant to be taken as investment advice or trading advice. Do your own due diligence and consult your financial advisor before making any trades or investments.

#17 Bob-C

Bob-C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,316 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:10 AM

Hi everyone, according to a report from enenews.com, "Radioactive debris from Japan tsunami may wash ashore on US West Coast by early next year (MAP) April 8th, 2011 at 11:44 AM." The report explains:

Cars, whole houses and even severed feet in shoes: The vast field of debris from Japan earthquake and tsunami that's floating towards U.S. West Coast, Daily Mail, April 8, 2011:

… 'I'm expecting parts of houses, whole boats and feet in sneakers to wash up,' [Curtis] Ebbesmeyer, a Seattle oceanographer who has spent decades tracking flotsam, told MailOnline. …

Members of the U.S. Navy's 7th fleet, who spotted the extraordinary floating rubbish, say they have never seen anything like it and are warning the debris now poses a threat to shipping traffic. …

Scientists say the first bits of debris from Japan are due to reach the West Coast in a year's time after being carried by currents toward Washington, Oregon and California. …

Some of the debris to hit the West Coast may be radioactive following the devastation at Japanese nuclear power plants, according to James Hevezi, chair of the American College of Radiology Commission on Medical Physics. …

Read the report here.

Bob-C
Disclaimer: None of my posts are meant to be taken as investment advice or trading advice. Do your own due diligence and consult your financial advisor before making any trades or investments.

#18 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,144 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:17 AM

I'll be the first one in the water...can't wait! Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#19 Bob-C

Bob-C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,316 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:30 AM

Hi everyone, according to a report from enenews.com, "Vancouver, Canada radiation tests show iodine-131 in rainwater at almost 10,000% above US drinking water limit April 8th, 2011 at 08:20 AM." The report states:

Radiation from Japan reaches B.C. shores, Simon Fraser University Media Release:

… The jet stream is carrying the radiation from Japan to North America. Most of the radioactivity disperses in the atmosphere and falls over the Pacific Ocean on its way over, but some of it has now reached the west coast, falling down with rain, and mixing with seawater. It's also accumulating in seaweed.

The rainwater tested was collected at SFU's campus on Burnaby Mountain and in downtown Vancouver, while seaweed samples were collected in North Vancouver near the Seabus terminal. Researchers began monitoring rainwater earlier this month but did not see the signature for iodine-131 in samples taken March 16 and March 18. However, they did detect the radioisotope's signature in samples from March 19, 20 and 25.

Here are the results from the tests (measured in decays of iodine-131 per second per litre of rainwater – Bq/l):

* March 18: 0 (2) Bq/l
* March 19: 9 (2) Bq/l
* March 20: 12 (2) Bq/l
* March 25: 11 (2) Bq/l

Read the press release here.

Rainwater tests results from Vancouver, CA:

Read the test results here.

11 Bq/L is equal to 297.3 picocuries per liter. (Conversion calculator here)

The federal drinking water standard for Iodine-131 is 3 pCi/L. (Press Release)

Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry for Iodine, CDC, April 2004:

EPA has set an average annual drinking water limit of 3 pCi/L for Iodine-131 so the public radiation dose will not exceed 4 millirem.

Bob-C

#20 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:31 AM

I'll be the first one in the water...can't wait!

Fib

In your case, I agree that a little radioactive mutation may in fact help your looks... :lol: