Any brave sword catchers here....

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 spielchekr

spielchekr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:01 PM

I'm with NAV. Conventional wisdom says moving averages are of little or no use. That's pretty much true, if used in conventional ways. And anyone can believe that all they want for all I care. But they happen to intrigue me. And I trust that NAV takes things a little further than watching price bob above and below ma lines. There is a good deal of information in moving averages that doesn't float right to the surface, but can be extracted with some work. Just sayin'.

Edited by spielchekr, 12 April 2011 - 06:01 PM.

#32 thespookyone

thespookyone

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:02 PM

NAV=I should have added-my plays long are VST. If we don't get great breadth in tomorrows bounce-I'll be right with you, pulling the trigger on both barrells short. Looking at the internals tonite has truly tilted me your way! 1321.50 basis ES would be a super place to initiate a short in that case, imho.

Edited by thespookyone, 12 April 2011 - 08:06 PM.

#33 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:24 PM

I'm with NAV. Conventional wisdom says moving averages are of little or no use. That's pretty much true, if used in conventional ways. And anyone can believe that all they want for all I care. But they happen to intrigue me. And I trust that NAV takes things a little further than watching price bob above and below ma lines. There is a good deal of information in moving averages that doesn't float right to the surface, but can be extracted with some work. Just sayin'.

Shhhhhhhh !

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#34 IndexTrader

IndexTrader

• TT Patron+
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:40 PM

I don't think conventional wisdom says that at all...in fact, I'd say it's the opposite. Why else does every traders chart have one or more moving averages on it?

Frankly I don't think you can be truly liberated as a trader until you've gotten rid of all the indicators, so that you can focus on price action without bias. Fortunately, I doubt many will do that any time soon.

IT

#35 spielchekr

spielchekr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:43 AM

I don't think conventional wisdom says that at all...in fact, I'd say it's the opposite. Why else does every traders chart have one or more moving averages on it?
IT

Conventionally, to watch price bob above and below them.

#36 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:52 AM

And unconventionally?

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#37 spielchekr

spielchekr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:43 AM

And unconventionally?

Fib

Thankfully for rhetorical questions, they always answer themselves correctly.

You've made me realize that I've been reading this board for so long that I've actually come to believe that dissing anything to do with moving averages is conventional, or at least fashionable. You are absolutely correct. Most traders have a mess of moving averages splashed over each and every chart. In fact, they are so overused and omnipresent that any respectable and sophisticated analyst is compelled to shun any information extracted from moving averages as being of little or no use. I do get it now.

#38 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:50 AM

Thankful for rhetorical questions, they always answer themselves correctly.

I don't know exactly how to reply to that, so I'll just say "you're welcome" and move on. :)

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#39 Echo

Echo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:33 PM

I for one would like to move back to the original thread as we are back to where IT made the nice entry yesterday. IT, Fib, is the price pattern reasonable to reload here or is the gap and crap under oversold conditions worthy of standing aside? Doc

#40 Echo

Echo

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:36 PM

I for one long RUT here at 819.63, stop under the 2.5wk lows for RUT cash at 818.32 at 816.32 risking about 3 rut points. Doc