Child-like fear of radiation

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#11 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:53 AM

Nuclear power will revolutionize our world. 

A strong driver for nuclear power in the developing world will be horrific air pollution, already killing (in 2016) millions each year in China, India, Turkey, and eastern Europe. (See Air Pollution Overview - Berkeley Earth)

Nuclear is widely misinterpreted as expensive: the cost is in construction, and in the US those construction costs are artificially inflated by regulatory delays; the cost of a nuclear power plant in South Korea is ⅓ that in the US. Nuclear will be seen in the developing world as the clean yet still inexpensive alternative to coal.

We are not running out of nuclear fuel. It is well known in the industry that per kilowatt hour the cost of the uranium is currently about 0.1¢. If this cost doubles to 0.2¢, then the amount of economically extractable uranium around the world increases by 5x, and yet the contribution of that cost to the electric power is negligible.  There is no shortage of uranium, and there will be no shortage for the foreseeable future. (See, for example, Scientific American Jan 1980 pp 66-78)

https://www.quora.co...ler-3?srid=zgnH

-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#12 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:29 AM

University of Massachusetts Amherst environmental toxicologist Edward Calabrese, his career research shows that low doses of some chemicals and radiation are benign or even helpful, 

Nuclear plants shoulder artificially huge costs not to protect against accidents, but to protect against trivial emissions.

Coal-plants, which don’t have to meet U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission rules, actually put out thorium and uranium far in excess of what nuclear plants are allowed to emit.

We detailed some of the health evidence in a December piece about efforts to wake up the NRC. The New York Times wrote a similar piece last September looking at Japan’s foolish evacuation of thousands of Fukushima residents against a nonexistent radiation threat.

http://www.wsj.com/a...2NzE0OTYxMjkzWj

-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#13 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:57 AM

And then one day something goes wrong...forever.

Chernobyl - 30 years and counting...

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#14 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:28 PM

It's only a matter of time before this comes to kill you...

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."