****Investors University Book Library****

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 VermeerUK

VermeerUK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 747 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 05:31 AM

Please post any reviews(good or bad) of 'investment/financial' books you have read......Which may help others(especially novices/inexperienced) understand the 'global' financial markets. Thankyou. Regards.V

#2 VermeerUK

VermeerUK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 747 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 05:40 AM

Re-post of two earlier recommendations>>"Market-timing" Title.."Streetsmart Guide to Timing the Stock Market"(When to Buy,Sell,and Sell short) by Colin Alexander. Tis one of the MacGraw-Hill 'Streetsmart' series. Well written(imho) clear/understandable text/explanations.....With plenty of TA examples,and with more than a few sage words of advice. Hardcover-407pages Price was just under £16....Sorry don't know the US$ price. _____________________________________ >>"Market History" "The Great Crash 1929"(The classic study of that disaster)... by....John Kenneth Galbraith. Well written piece of market history,imho Paper-back..223pages. Cost just under £7.....Sorry don't know US$ price. Regards.V

#3 VermeerUK

VermeerUK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 747 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 06:09 AM

I'm reading a set of historical 'investment classics' at the moment...(If you don't know where we've been...How do you know where we're going?...imho) _________________________ I've just finished this book. 'Investment Classic'>>> Title.."Where Are The Customers Yachts?(Or a goog hard look at Wall Street) by......Fred Schwed JR. Tis one of the Wiley 'Investment-Classic' series. First published in 1940. Written by a professional trader in the 1920's Paperback-216pages Price..£10.49p A worthy read,imvho. Regards.V _________________________ P.S.....Being a 'Brit' any book prices i quote will be in '£' pound sterling(So you would have to look up US$ prices if you live in the States)

#4 kem60

kem60

• Traders-Talk User
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 01:47 PM

"Trade Like a Hedge Fund" New book and excellent strategies

#5 sagitarius_d

sagitarius_d

• Traders-Talk User
  • 511 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 02:49 PM

kem60, I just read somewhere that James Altucher is no longer submiting his results to the IASG website.. Why would anyone ask? Maybe because they became a little bad :)))) It might happen to anyone though, but judging by his interview in wealth-lab..He hasn't had that much experience in stocks..So i wonder, how did he start a hedge fund with just 4-5 years in trading..

#6 VermeerUK

VermeerUK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 747 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 05:03 PM

Below is a list of books that have helped me learn/understand about financial markets(UK/US/Global ) over the last four+ years since i started out on the 'trading' path. I could have added more books to the list......But i thought these books are good for guys/gals who are novices/inexperienced like me. My motto is... "Learn hard earn easy".....That's my system anyway. ___________________________________ (1)...Reminiscences of a Stock Operator...by...Edwin Lefevre (2)...Once in Golconda...by...John Brooks (3)...Market Wizards(1)...by...Jack.D.Schwager (4)...Market Wizards(2)...by...Jack.D.Schwager (5)...Trader Vic...by...Victor Sperandeo (6)...Getting Started in Technical Analysis...by...Jack.D.Schwager (7)...The Streetsmart Guide to Short Selling...by...Tom Taulli (8)...Starting Out in Futures Trading...by...MarkPowers (9)...A Foreign Exchange Primer...by...S.B.Shamah (10).First Steps in Bonds...by...Peter Temple (11).Traded Options: A Private Investor's Guide...by...Peter Temple Regards & All the best if you are just starting out.....V P.S..I got the above books from 'Amazon.com'.....But shop around,you might find better prices.

#7 VermeerUK

VermeerUK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 747 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:00 PM

For newbies/inexperienced who seriously want to learn.

Tis January 18th 2008

We've got all this fall out from 'sub-prime' and now spreading to the 'cds' sector......and who knows where next.

I 'strongly' recommend the following well written title if you want to learn/understand what's going on with the financial markets today(what may/may not happen).....Tis amazing how similar bank/financial crises keep coming around again and again over time,imho

Title...."Manias,Panics,and Crashes..A History Of Financial Crises" ...by Charles.P.Kindleberger.

First published in 1978.....I've got the more updated 4th edition published in 2000.

You can buy a 2005 edition from Amazon.com........'url' to book below.

http://www.amazon.co...e...5005&sr=1-1

Have a look else where beside Amazon,you might get it cheaper.

Regards & Learn hard...Earn easy...V