Value of a College Major

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,871 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:48 AM

I learned as a youngster that productivity pays.
I made much more as a neighborhood lawn "technician" than I did as a music critic. :lol:

The Value of a College Major
New research from Georgetown University puts a price tag on what it might be worth to you down the line.

The findings from the study, “What’s it Worth? The Economic Value of College Majors,” aren’t terribly surprising. In a nutshell, they suggest that college students majoring in subjects like social work, performing arts and theology can expect to make less money than peers majoring in engineering, computer science or business. It also indicates that grads in humanities, arts, education and psychology not only won’t earn as much right out of college,
they’ll earn less over the course of their lives.

“The engineering major makes more money because he or she is more productive. In the end, the market is very discriminating.”

“English majors who went on to be lawyers, for instance, and Sociology majors who later earned MBAs are not represented in those main figures.”

He proposes, the government should require universities to furnish students with fact sheets about what they can actually expect from various majors.

#2 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:29 AM

The biggest consumer ripoff in America today is higher education.

It's no coincidence that the cost of college soared and its value diminished once the federal government started to "help."

College students don't get much for their money. Nearly half learn next to nothing in their first two years; a third learn almost nothing in four, according to a report authored principally by Prof. Richard Arum of New York University.

"Students who say that college has not prepared them for the real world are largely right," said Ann Neal, president of the American Council of Trustees and Alumni. "The fundamental problem here is not debt, but a broken educational system that no longer insists on excellence."

Or even adequacy. "A college degree nowadays doesn't necessarily signal that its holder has any useful work skills," said Charlotte Allen of the Manhattan Institute.

"For decades our schools have abandoned the teaching of basic facts and foundational thinking skills, and replaced both with leftish received wisdom and stale mythologies, all the while they have anxiously monitored and puffed up students' self esteem," said classics Prof. Bruce Thornton of California State University Fresno.

college
-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#3 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:35 AM

The biggest consumer ripoff in America today is higher education.

It's no coincidence that the cost of college soared and its value diminished once the federal government started to "help."

College students don't get much for their money. Nearly half learn next to nothing in their first two years; a third learn almost nothing in four, according to a report authored principally by Prof. Richard Arum of New York University.

"Students who say that college has not prepared them for the real world are largely right," said Ann Neal, president of the American Council of Trustees and Alumni. "The fundamental problem here is not debt, but a broken educational system that no longer insists on excellence."

Fourth Of July: San Diego Beachgoers Display Their Knowledge Of Independence Day [Video]

“We celebrate the 4th of July as the day we overtook the South. And the Declaration of Independence was signed by Abraham Lincoln in 1964. Or was it 1984? Those were some of the things media analyst Mark Dice learned when he asked San Diego beachgoers about the holiday,”

A tourist from Italy was the only person in the clip who knew the significance of July 4 in America and didn’t struggle coming up with an answer.

In another recent spoof, he pranked bystanders at a San Diego college into a signing a fake petition to replace the American flag. “I wanted to see if these politically correct millennials, basically, would ban the American flag,” the Washington Examiner quoted Dice as saying.

http://www.inquisitr...ence-day-video/
-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#4 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,871 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:22 PM

My grandson had a scholarship but hated school. Got a full time job instead of college, worked hard, used his brain, was dependable. At 22 years old he now makes $42K as the manager of a nutritional store. He has no debt. My buddy from HS has a daughter who went to private school then law school. He is broke and in debt from her education. She is in debt over $100K. She now lives back at her parents home and is unemployed.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 21 July 2015 - 09:26 PM.

#5 AChartist

AChartist

Tim

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:06 PM

Well my life story, I was probably what they call the indigo children now.

delivering papers age 10, cutting grass then too, pumping gas age 12.

How do you know from age 4 that jfk "intervention" was the occult deepstate and hate the

"great" generation from just rolling over and taking it. Its another state of being, I figure its age and experience of the soul.

1st semester college tuition about $400, last was $1500.

professional work did not pay out of college but I guess better than others.

my mistake was not changing jobs a lot being bogged down by x-wife employment location.

being exposed to adults from young working age could not comprehend the existence of the freshman

students, cant imagine where they came from or where their mind was.

But I also saw the fake bubbles and purposefully stayed in a tangible value reality based profession,

seeing over the ponzie fraud. Were there is not many of my kind left and I have unique talents and skills they might need.

Working from young age now illegal, min wage. But now I know the game is longevity, see what it looks like when $2000 SS buys $100 calorie value.

Working a physical reality may have kept me healthier and stronger too.

Next I learned marry a younger wife, for longevity, its all in the mind. And the real thing is I don't do it for myself, I figure my kids are

going to need me. I think it is said, seed is given to the sowers, they become what they give.

I was later told from a dorm mate I was the only one on the

floor that graduated. The difference is my earliest rejection of all their symbology and rituals, just an innate rejection of

their "institutions" and finding my own way. Just automatically knowing that all pig chanting was lying and not really

having a belief system a long time until learning the real one from reality. Really the reason I rejected Reagan early on was the chanting.

They did the same thing, put something into the soundbites and all the people were chanting the same thing. And look what you

got manifesting from the cia of that day, you know who bushie and clintons, but I now know he was ok and it was the deepstate running those operations.

Amazing what they can get when they put a non lethal slug in the fleshy part and drive him around the hospital block until he buckled under to the

deepstate.

the peak hipocracy will be when the occult's gun control overlords find a bullet for a certain un-bought candidate, and they will probably like it.

"marxism-lennonism-communism always fails and never worked, because I know

some of them, and they don't work"  M.Jordan