• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:01 PM

Children 'addicted' to computers...

In an interview, he said that exposure to computers was particularly damaging to boys, harming their long-term development.
Far too many children, and particularly boys, become quite addicted to computer use, he said.
He said parents should resist buying sons and daughters a smartphone until they are at least 15 and limit computer use to an hour or two a day.
He also said computer use should be limited to one hour a day for children aged up to 12 and two hours for older pupils.

I thought it was a good idea to encourage my grandson to learn computers.
At 2 years old he played Mixed-Up Mother Goose, then LEGO construction, etc.
Now nearly 20 years old, gaming is his life. Gaming IS life.
He has a full-time job, filling online orders.
When work is over he will spend every waking hour sitting in front of endless online games.
No social life at all, aside from online conversations while gaming.
And any request to help around the house is viewed as a huge infringement on their "real life", online.

I think of all the hours I spent on a bike, running with friends, playing football, baseball would so boring compared to gaming for these kids.

My experience tells me that the best course is to limit the time kids spend in the virtual world.

1 hour is really an eternity to a kid, and maybe that's too long.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 03 January 2012 - 12:15 PM.

#2 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

Children shun books for texts
Warning as children shun books in favour of Facebook
One in six children is failing to read books as they spend an increasing amount of time text messaging friends, sending emails and browsing social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter, a study has found.
14 to 16 year–olds being more than 10 times as likely to avoid books altogether as those in primary education.
Older pupils were also "considerably more likely to say that they have not read any book in the last month compared with their younger counterparts".

Edited by Rogerdodger, 03 January 2012 - 12:40 PM.

#3 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

INTERNET ADDICTION: THE TRUTH...
Dependency alters brain...

An estimated 5 to 10 per cent of internet users are thought to be addicted – meaning they are unable to control their use. The majority are games players who become so absorbed in the activity they go without food or drink for long periods and their education, work and relationships suffer.

Henrietta Bowden Jones, consultant psychiatrist at Imperial College, London, who runs Britain's only NHS clinic for internet addicts and problem gamblers, said: "The majority of people we see with serious internet addiction are gamers – people who spend long hours in roles in various games that cause them to disregard their obligations. I have seen people who stopped attending university lectures, failed their degrees or their marriages broke down because they were unable to emotionally connect with anything outside the game."

Although most of the population was spending longer online, that was not evidence of addiction, she said. "It is different. We are doing it because modern life requires us to link up over the net in regard to jobs, professional and social connections – but not in an obsessive way. When someone comes to you and says they did not sleep last night because they spent 14 hours playing games, and it was the same the previous night, and they tried to stop but they couldn't – you know they have a problem. It does tend to be the gaming that catches people out."

Edited by Rogerdodger, 12 January 2012 - 10:07 AM.