• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 TechMan

TechMan

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

I agree with DrSP.

If I were to subscribe to a service, I'd go with the ones that show the best returns. And, since 2009, the best returns are those that are bullish.

I personally couldn't care less what they're promoting or not promoting - energy, precious metals, techs, fear, greed, happiness, or nothing at all. Years and years ago, one of my very final subscription to any newsletters, I hooked up with this service that gave nothing but when and what to buy. They only wrote their newsletters once every 6 months. And, it's poorly written with very little substance, but I made a lota money following their signals.

Newsletter writers just love the bull market.

Interesting comment considering that the heavy hitters in the business of market timers are those who always looking for that elusive top and decline that follows.

People are more apt to subscribe to a service that would somehow give them protection as humans, as a species, are frightened by what we don't understand or can't control. Those who are market neutral make very little because there's no glory in hopefully being correct. Look at the business channels...anyone want to approximate the number of interviews that promote a bearish opinion as opposed to those of a bullish one? And how about when the bullish interviews turn to negative discourse because of how the market "can't move higher because of all of the bad in the world"?

Nope...the market letter writers that make the most are those with a bearish slant, and it doesn't matter at all if they're right or not.

Fib

Edited by TechMan, 04 February 2012 - 04:51 PM.

#32 IYB

IYB

• TT Patron+
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

I'm not obligated to share anything on the Internet with anyone.

No, you're not. Nobody is. It's your choice to do so.

No...I'm not a subscriber because I have a different way of working with the markets. However, their disciplined analysis compliments mine.

Challenges are meant only to provoke and not promote the art of technical analysis. One might take another approach and ask HOW something is or isn't working for them, or what they may see what you may be missing or might be helpful. We all get myopic from time to time. A different aspect should therefore be always welcomed. Then again, and in this specific case, all of this may have already been shared by both Don and Tom in other posts, so challenging them makes it seem like you don't even read what they have to offer to your diametric response.

So, how about this for an exercise? You have made the comment that "technical indicators <are> rendered useless, as they're mostly oscillators". Why don't you then provide an example of which oscillator isn't working, why it isn't working, and leave that for discussion or input from others instead of making what many would consider a "drive by" statement with little or no substantive proof behind it?

Fib

Thanks very much for your comments Fib - appreciated. And I absolutely agree. If we are to discuss whether or not an indicator (a specific oscillator for example) is or is not "USELESS", why not start a discussion string about that indicator and explain why you render it useless by explaining how you use it and how it doesn't "work" when you use it that way. Then ask others to explain whether they have a way of using it that does "work"- and detail that method. In the end we ALL might learn something - about how certain indicators can be used in ways different than we'd been using them for example- ways that may be very effective.

I think this whole process would be far more useful for traders here than just making a flat out indictment - "oscillators are useless".... Or of having every poster here predict each night whether the market goes "up tomorrow or down tomorrow", then seeing each day who got that day wrong or right..... which some of us consider to be somewhat akin to a silly fraternity game. To me trading is all about trends- not about tomorrows pattern.

Just as an example to this thinking process, for example, have you considered tracking not the absolute level but instead the TREND of oscillators as a method of telling you where price is headed, rather than arbitrarily assuming that a high oscillator reading means you should short and vice versa? The longest advances come while a high McO is getting higher and even AFTER McO peaks at a high reading, especially true in Bull Market contexts, so that shorting when it is at a high level can be suicide. Likewise the biggest down moves come when McO is low and falling and even AFTER McO bottoms, especially in a Bear Market context. To buy when McO is at a deep negative number, in a bear market, can be death. But tracking the TREND of the oscillator can be enormously enlightening to a trader.

If you want a discussion by folks who have worked with specific indicators for decades with very positive results, hold that discussion. I for one, would much rather hear from Selecto on how he uses the Bollinger Bands than to just say "Bollinger Bands are useless" just because the way that I had assumed that they "should" work doesn't. Or how Fib uses the advance decline data and a-d volume data rather than just saying "breadth is useless" because my methods with breadth aren't working. Or how Tom uses volume bars rather than just saying "volume is useless" because I can't see how to use volume to lock in my trading profits. Or how NAV uses pivots or Mark uses sentiment. or....well you get the point.

We can fight with each other or we can learn from each other. I'm fairly certain that I've never seen fighting make anyone any money. Regards, D

Edited by IYB, 04 February 2012 - 05:17 PM.

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one.” Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

#33 Bernie

Bernie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 423 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

TM - I recommend VectorVest as scanning and backtesting software for picking individual stocks.

Continue to trade the individual stocks rather than the Indexes although it's been quite time consuming.

Ancestry.com shot up nearly 5% on Friday. I'm really seeing AOL at $100 all over again.

Posted Image

Hello Manuj, do you see any advantage difference between vector vest. Say over IBD?
Thanks
Bernie

#34 TechMan

TechMan

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:28 PM

If we are to discuss whether or not an indicator (a specific oscillator for example) is or is not "USELESS", why not start a discussion string about that indicator and explain why you render it useless by explaining how you use it and how it doesn't "work" when you use it that way. Then ask others to explain whether they have a way of using it that does "work"- and detail that method. In the end we ALL might learn something - about how certain indicators can be used in ways different than we'd been using them for example- ways that may be very effective.

Yes, but on the other hand, wouldn't it be easier for the signals to determine how well it works, particularly for those of us that are already fully aware of how every single indicator's constructed and applied? For me, it's a complete waste of time going over all that again. We can go back and forth forever about how an indicator should be applied, but the bottom line is how accurate it gives us the buy and sell signals, be it intraday or inter-day.

And, why's that "fighting"? Like I've said, I couldn't be more pleased to post and share my signals here if the oscillators are working well in this market. Besides, you're the one that volunteered and initiated this exchange. I don't feel like I'm fighting anyone, and I don't understand how you or anyone could feel that way unless there are other reasons, agenda, or motives unbeknownst to me.

#35 manuj

manuj

• Validating
  • 110 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

Hi Bernie

We can start a separate thread or exchange PM about vectorvest - so that we do not hijack TM's thread.

But in short:

VectorVest:

- It is more of a library of tools which you can use to unleash your creativity and imagination and come up with your own strategies and scans for stocks.
- Since it is so powerful - it does come with a learning curve and you need to spend some time to get used to the software.
- Back test your ideas on past 12 years of data to see what works best under certain market conditions
- Comes with lot of canned strategies which you can use out of the box or modify as per your taste.

IBD:

- Prescribes you a list of stocks e.g. IBD50 which you cannot alter in any way. You have to take IBDs list and apply your criteria to narrow it down to 5-10 stocks you want to buy.
- As far as I know do not provide any back testing capability to see how their lists worked in the past

I think recently IBD has released a software called MarketSmith which is comparable to VectorVest. I do not subscribe to MarketSmith - this is just from their informational web page.

I am not an employee of either company or get any commissions from them. I DO subscribe to both. I sometimes even combine their services to come up with my custom strategies which work really great in various market conditions.

And for what its worth - I want to endorse fib_1618's service and the knowledge he shares on TechnicalWatch. Over the past year my trading has improved many fold by using the insight he shares on his chats.

I hope that is helpful.

Thanks
M

TM - I recommend VectorVest as scanning and backtesting software for picking individual stocks.

Continue to trade the individual stocks rather than the Indexes although it's been quite time consuming.

Ancestry.com shot up nearly 5% on Friday. I'm really seeing AOL at $100 all over again.

Posted Image

Hello Manuj, do you see any advantage difference between vector vest. Say over IBD?
Thanks
Bernie

#36 Bernie

Bernie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 423 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

Thanks Manuj, That was very helpful!!! Bernie

#37 IYB

IYB

• TT Patron+
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

We can go back and forth forever about how an indicator should be applied, but the bottom line is how accurate it gives us the buy and sell signals, be it intraday or inter-day.

And, why's that "fighting"? Like I've said, I couldn't be more pleased to post and share my signals here if the oscillators are working well in this market.

Been doing that for years. If you don't read the posts, I don't know what to tell you. Have posted the entire record scores of times, and many many signals in real time here, always in real time at SevenSentinels.com. My tracking account at UpDown.com is a matter of public record with link provided on each post.

As it is I work about 80 hours a week on trend analysis, charts and detailed reporting. Not gonna come here each night just to say "no change" between the December 23, 2011 SS Buy Signal and the next SS Sell Signal just because you seem to want that. Anyhow --- more than enuf said. Simply wanted to respond that "oscillators are enormously useful"- especially McClellan oscillators....in all market environments. If sometime you'd like to understand how I garner that usefulness from the data they provide, feel free to ask. Just not today, cuz I have a pile of work to catch up on.... ;) Best, D

Edited by IYB, 04 February 2012 - 06:04 PM.

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one.” Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

#38 TechMan

TechMan

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

And, I'm, too, catching up on a pile of work here. I work 12 hours a day just for my own trading business.

I didn't "want" you to have to do anything that you don't want to. But, if you'd like to do this just so that we can keep track of how well oscillators work in this market, please go ahead post and share your buy and sell signals here starting Monday.

You don't have to post "no change". I don't believe that's ever requested. Just post "Buy" or "Sell" for now (intraday) or for tomorrow (inter-day).

That's it. There's nothing complicated or "fighting" about that.

We can go back and forth forever about how an indicator should be applied, but the bottom line is how accurate it gives us the buy and sell signals, be it intraday or inter-day.

And, why's that "fighting"? Like I've said, I couldn't be more pleased to post and share my signals here if the oscillators are working well in this market.

Been doing that for years. If you don't read the posts, I don't know what to tell you. Have posted the entire record scores of times, and many many signals in real time here, always in real time at SevenSentinels.com. My tracking account at UpDown.com is a matter of public record with link provided on each post.

As it is I work about 80 hours a week on trend analysis, charts and detailed reporting. Not gonna come here each night just to say "no change" between the December 23, 2011 SS Buy Signal and the next SS Sell Signal just because you seem to want that. Anyhow --- more than enuf said. Simply wanted to respond that "oscillators are enormously useful"- especially McClellan oscillators....in all market environments. If sometime you'd like to understand how I garner that usefulness from the data they provide, feel free to ask. Just not today, cuz I have a pile of work to catch up on.... ;) Best, D

#39 IYB

IYB

• TT Patron+
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

And, I'm, too, catching up on a pile of work here. I work 12 hours a day just for my own trading business.

I didn't "want" you to have to do anything that you don't want to. But, if you'd like to do this just so that we can keep track of how well oscillators work in this market, please go ahead post and share your buy and sell signals here starting Monday.

You don't have to post "no change". I don't believe that's ever requested. Just post "Buy" or "Sell" for now (intraday) or for tomorrow (inter-day).

This is really getting exhausting. We are on "buy mode" until further notice....or using your requested language and answering your specific request.... "Buy". That's obviously not an hourly signal- it's for the Intermediate Term Trend.

When that changes, I will, as always, report that IN REAL TIME at Seven Sentinels.com. Every signal reported in real time at SevenSentinels.com is an indelible part of the permanent record. There is no fudging that. Since subscribers pay for those signals as well as other detailed analysis, in fairness to them I seldom report that signal here until at least a few days later. But if you want to see how the signal worked after the fact- as you say ">>so that we can keep track of how well oscillators work in this market<<" the record is made available and is, as said, indelible.

No non subscribers don't get the singals in real time, I cannot change what was reported in real time - so you can know it was authentic.

Here's the three year record. The precise dates are on SevenSentinels.com. Over and out.

http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$SPX&p=D&yr=3&mn=0&dy=10&i=p93753052317&a=181755090&r=47.png

#40 IYB

IYB

• TT Patron+
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

This is really getting exhausting. We are on "buy mode" until further notice....or using your requested language and answering your specific request.... "Buy". That's obviously not an hourly signal- it's for the Intermediate Term Trend.

When that changes, I will, as always, report that IN REAL TIME at Seven Sentinels.com. Every signal reported in real time at SevenSentinels.com is an indelible part of the permanent record. There is no fudging that. Since subscribers pay for those signals as well as other detailed analysis, in fairness to them I seldom report that signal here until at least a few days later. But if you want to see how the signal worked after the fact- as you say ">>so that we can keep track of how well oscillators work in this market<<" the record is made available and is, as said, indelible.

So non subscribers don't get the signals in real time, but I cannot change what was reported in real time - so you can know it was authentic.

Here's the three year record. The precise dates are on SevenSentinels.com. Over and out.

http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$SPX&p=D&yr=3&mn=0&dy=10&i=p93753052317&a=181755090&r=47.png

Edited by IYB, 04 February 2012 - 06:50 PM.