The Luddites still Rule

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 voltaire

voltaire

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:59 AM

With every new massacre, the gun lovers quote "guns don't kill people , people kill people". AND the massacres continue, more often and with greater number of victims. As the weather becomes more and more outside what is "normal" variation, the flat earthers quote "it has happened before". AND the records fall at a faster rate and measurements are made that exceed anything for thousands of years at least. But it seems being an ostrich with its head in the sand or a creationist with his head up his sphincter is considered acceptable opinion. When doing nothing, means the problem gets worse, surely at least trying some new ideas might be worth the effort. Sheesh! When these US massacres occur, it makes me wonder what it will take to make a change. I suspect nothing. If someone manages to kill 10,000, then I bet there will be wonderfull stories of how the one above saved someone and how we must pull together. I think it takes till your own are taken, but even then ideology will still probably win. In the end I suppose you get what your ignorance deserves.

#2 voltaire

voltaire

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:08 AM

I know this post will only last a few minutes as the powers that be consider it offensive. How is it that trying to confront obominations is out of bounds in favour of muttering condolences that change nothing. Didn't someone say that all it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing? Then why do we censor that which makes us think or rethink and allow wishy washy emotional crap that makes us feel better and allows us to do NOTHING. SHAME.

#3 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:19 AM

Actually, it's not the stifled debate over gun ownership that's depressing, but instead the lack of policy discussion of why "people kill people" here. We are a violent nation no doubt about that. We were born in revolution, slaughtered most of the native population in our taking of the land, had a Civil War over the fact gray states and blue states could not resolve their differences in Congress, blasted our way to a "civilized" society by gun-play on the frontier, have waged continuous war on other nations for the past 100 years or so. This massacre of innocent movie-goers is another one of those spectacular moments that grab media attention, but we have enough hum-drum murders ever week to put the war statistics to shame. Killing is in our bones. Obviously, we have a problem (or are a problem). When most people have a problem, they try to figure out what it is and fix it, but it's more likely we will do what we always do, wring hands and, without any more thought, move on. Einstein's definition of insanity was "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." We don't even expect different results anymore. How insane is that? So it goes.

Edited by diogenes227, 21 July 2012 - 10:20 AM.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#4 Dex

Dex

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

10s of thousands of people die and are injured each year in Automobile accidents - many by drunk drivers

http://www.cdc.gov/i.../focus-mvs.html

Why no post every day about that?

Why no daily TV coverage about it?

Why no proposed solution for that carnage?

There must easy solutions for this?

Nearly 11,000 people died at the hands of alcohol-impaired drivers.

More than 12,000 of the drivers and passengers killed in motor vehicle crashes were not wearing seat belts or other restraints.

Where is the outrage?

Where are the quotes by someone to support action to do something?

Edited by Dex, 21 July 2012 - 01:13 PM.

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. "
17_16

#5 uburack

uburack

• Traders-Talk User
  • 628 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

In today's news: 65 Million gun owners shot 0 people yesterday. If there were 1 or 2 gun carriers in the theatre, lives would definitely have been saved. "Ostriches" :lol: :D
John 21:6 And he said unto them, "Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find". They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes.

#6 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

The U.N. elites are meeting July 27th to propose worldwide gun restrictions.

Knowing this, local gun sales have been off the charts for the past 3 years.
The result?

FEWER MURDERS!

"If the pace holds, the city would finish the year with three annual declines since it had a record 71 killings in 2009.
Guns have killed 22 people midway through the year.
Blunt-force trauma is blamed for the remaining deaths."

Looks like we need to pass stricter blunt force laws.
Where is the Blunt Force Control lobby?

Meanwhile the poor and homeless are forced to use knives.
I guess you can't get ammo with your EBT card?
Serial stabber targeting homeless in LA...

<h3 class="r">Machete killings fuel Indonesia's religious hatred</h3>
What's next? Machete control.
"The violence began after the police officer was stabbed to death when he argued with a butcher, a Hausa Muslim.
The butcher alleged ripped open his stomach."

GRANDMOTHER BEHEADED
MORE KILLINGS ELSEWHERE

Elsewhere in northern Nigeria, in Bauchi State, at least two dozens and perhaps as many as 96 people were killed over a three-day period starting January 27.

It looks like Luddites are those who ignore the root cause of violence and murder and only try to treat symptoms rather than the disease.
How stupid.
Posted Image

Edited by Rogerdodger, 21 July 2012 - 11:43 PM.

#7 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:48 PM

Here's the best way to defend yourself against a knife attack: LINK

PS: How many died from Fast and Furious? It's a secret.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 21 July 2012 - 11:51 PM.

#8 voltaire

voltaire

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:13 AM

Actually, it's not the stifled debate over gun ownership that's depressing, but instead the lack of policy discussion of why "people kill people" here.

We are a violent nation no doubt about that. We were born in revolution, slaughtered most of the native population in our taking of the land, had a Civil War over the fact gray states and blue states could not resolve their differences in Congress, blasted our way to a "civilized" society by gun-play on the frontier, have waged continuous war on other nations for the past 100 years or so. This massacre of innocent movie-goers is another one of those spectacular moments that grab media attention, but we have enough hum-drum murders ever week to put the war statistics to shame. Killing is in our bones.

Obviously, we have a problem (or are a problem). When most people have a problem, they try to figure out what it is and fix it, but it's more likely we will do what we always do, wring hands and, without any more thought, move on. Einstein's definition of insanity was "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." We don't even expect different results anymore. How insane is that?

So it goes.

Diogenes

Excellent observations from you and I agree.

I am an Australian and as such make some similar observations. Doesn't means it is as simple as...

The USA achieved its freedom from UK control by armed resistance. It is hard not to see that that created a mindset.

That mindset carried over to the civil war and every conflict since.

In Australia, we achieved freedom from UK control by a lengthier process.

It took us till 1901 to achieve nationhood, BUT without violence.

I am astouded that the US based on Christian principles is so keen on warfare and armed resistance.

Yes, freedom is a principle that all men desire.

An aim to die for, but killing today for something that can be achieved peacefully tomorrow seems a no-brainer, at least for a mother.

#9 voltaire

voltaire

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:25 AM

The U.N. elites are meeting July 27th to propose worldwide gun restrictions.

Knowing this, local gun sales have been off the charts for the past 3 years.
The result?

FEWER MURDERS!

"If the pace holds, the city would finish the year with three annual declines since it had a record 71 killings in 2009.
Guns have killed 22 people midway through the year.
Blunt-force trauma is blamed for the remaining deaths."

Looks like we need to pass stricter blunt force laws.
Where is the Blunt Force Control lobby?

Meanwhile the poor and homeless are forced to use knives.
I guess you can't get ammo with your EBT card?
Serial stabber targeting homeless in LA...

<h3 class="r">Machete killings fuel Indonesia's religious hatred</h3>
What's next? Machete control.
"The violence began after the police officer was stabbed to death when he argued with a butcher, a Hausa Muslim.
The butcher alleged ripped open his stomach."

GRANDMOTHER BEHEADED
MORE KILLINGS ELSEWHERE

Elsewhere in northern Nigeria, in Bauchi State, at least two dozens and perhaps as many as 96 people were killed over a three-day period starting January 27.

It looks like Luddites are those who ignore the root cause of violence and murder and only try to treat symptoms rather than the disease.
How stupid.
Posted Image

Roger

Sorry but I missed where you offered a solution!

Uburack

opines that if some in the theatre had guns then they would have stopped the attack.

That has never ever been the case till now.

There is not one instance where someone stopped a maniac. Those armed just hid.

I was against gun control as a farmer.

Now I wish they would be tougher on gun control.

Yes, and I was a victim of a home invasion.

#10 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

Caveat: I do not own a gun. I don't want a gun.
But I do want the right to own a gun if I see a need.

if some in the theatre had guns then they would have stopped the attack.
That has never ever been the case till now.
There is not one instance where someone stopped a maniac. Those armed just hid.

Actually you are wrong.
Such instances seldom make the 24/7 news simply because the criminal is "dispatched" before he can carry out his plan.
And it does not fit the misguided anti-gun agenda of the media.

According to a 1995 study entitled "Armed Resistance to Crime: The Prevalence and Nature of Self-Defense with a Gun" by Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz, published by the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology at Northwestern University School of Law, law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year. That means that firearms are used 60 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to shoot with criminal intent. Of these defensive shootings, more than 200,000 are by women defending themselves against sexual abuse. About half a million times a year, a citizen carrying a gun away from home uses it in self-defense. Again, according to Kleck amd Gertz, "Citizens shoot and kill more criminals than police do every year [2,819 times versus 303]."
An article entitled "Are We a Nation of Cowards?" in the November 15, 1993, issue of Newsweek, stated that while police have an error rate of 11 percent when it comes to the accidental shooting of innocent civilians, the armed citizens' error rate is only 2 percent, making them five times safer than police.

Sorry but I missed where you offered a solution!

Sorry that you missed it, I have been quite vocal:
Deadly Environment is killing the innocent

The "Great Society" Fails our children, families

"first and foremost we have a parent problem"

The biggest problem with gun deaths currently seems to be gang violence. Government policies have destroyed the family, eliminated the need for a father, and children now roam the streets, looking to older gangsters as role models.
Even in 2 parent homes, high taxation forces both parents to work, leaving little time for their children.
So we read this headline:
'Nobody expects to live past 21 here'...

As I see it, today there is no right and wrong, only shades of grey. There is no personal responsibility for one's actions. There is no fear of a higher power. The only morality is found in environmentalism's worship of Gaia. So today bringing a plastic sandwich bag to school is like the worst crime a kid can commit.

Too many parents want to be liked as friends by their children (or don't want to be bothered) so they allow 6 year olds to watch violent movies such as Batman. The most popular video games are mostly shooter games played by the youngest grade school children.

My 6 year old grandson wants to be a police officer, like his father. However once on a visit, he brought a game called Grand Theft Auto which was entirely about being the best criminal and killing cops. I banned the game from my house, but his parents don't see the need. Recently a cute 5 year old boy told me that when he grows up he wants to be a crook! I bet he will succeed. What a goal.

Hollywood and the entertainment industry have a lot to answer for. However PARENTS (the few that there are) are primarily responsible for allowing it's influence into their homes.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 22 July 2012 - 09:41 AM.