Losing face

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 4,310 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:54 AM

I guess the lesson is "Don't issue your IPO in the face of a falling NYSI." I guess another lesson is "Short when the market tells you, cover when the stock tells you."

Good luck and good trading.

http://stockcharts.c...43886412234.png
"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted, W.C. Fields.

#2 Rite01

Rite01

• Traders-Talk User
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

diogenes227 A friend who trades all kinds of bonds mentioned major U.S. IP0s over 2 billion offered in the fall have a 66% chance of being up 6 months later and those offered in spring/summer months have an 81% chance of being down. Earlier in the year Mr. Market tends to be upbeat so initial pricing higher while fall months generally less optimism as a possible reason for this seasonality occurrence. FB so far looks to be a great example

#3 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 4,310 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

diogenes227

A friend who trades all kinds of bonds mentioned major U.S. IP0s over 2 billion offered in the fall have a 66% chance of being up 6 months later and those offered in spring/summer months have an 81% chance of being down.

Earlier in the year Mr. Market tends to be upbeat so initial pricing higher while fall months generally less optimism as a possible reason for this seasonality occurrence. FB so far looks to be a great example

Interesting observation. Do you know of some other examples?
"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted, W.C. Fields.

#4 Rite01

Rite01

• Traders-Talk User
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

diogenes227

A friend who trades all kinds of bonds mentioned major U.S. IP0s over 2 billion offered in the fall have a 66% chance of being up 6 months later and those offered in spring/summer months have an 81% chance of being down.

Earlier in the year Mr. Market tends to be upbeat so initial pricing higher while fall months generally less optimism as a possible reason for this seasonality occurrence. FB so far looks to be a great example

Interesting observation. Do you know of some other examples?