• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

...It is what it is.

http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$SPX&p=M&yr=20&mn=0&dy=0&i=p60585359594&a=157924247&r=1348159336339.png

http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$USD&p=M&st=1994-04-22&en=(today)&i=p27121564339&a=228390928&r=1348160636245.png

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#2 jack

jack

• Traders-Talk User
  • 907 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:45 PM

I probably like your politics (If one can like American politics) but............ you are hinting at political cause and effect. Near as I can tell, with the best of intentions, **** just happens. :huh:

#3 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

I probably like your politics (If one can like American politics) but............ you are hinting at political cause and effect.
Near as I can tell, with the best of intentions, **** just happens. :huh:

Not so much cause and effect as "notable moments" in the history of a stock index. Of course politics matters but as far as trading or investing goes it's usually difficult to read how much if at all until one has some history to look at and then it's usually obvious. Yeah, **** just happens sometimes but more often someone somewhere takes one and the market inevitably sniffs it out. :rolleyes: (Didn't put it on the USD chart but the last high for the dollar was on the day President Bush made his "axis of evil" speech. The dollar dropped the next day and has not looked back. Pretty expensive lesson in watch-what-you-say, especially if you're the President of the United States.)

Some of the notations here are obvious when they are happening, like the Global meltdown and the debt ceiling crisis, but I noted some of these events because in my mind they defy the conventional wisdom. For instance, everybody on Wall Street will scream that regulations like Sarbanes-Oxley and Dodd-Frank are bad, burdensome, overbearing, onerous, unnecessary... Yeah, sure. And they are market bottoms. How much money has been made since those regs went in? Same with elections and political parties. Appears Wall Street spends the money it makes during Democratic administrations to elect Republican administrations take it away. Do they go to Harvard and Wharton to learn how to do that? :D

And what about taxes? Of course they are complicated and need to be considered in context, but there is the possibility the chart does not lie. Makes me wonder that if we "blunder" off the so-called "fiscal cliff" next year, if the "cliff" will rocket the Dow to 20,000. ;)

Whatever, it is what it is and will be what it will be...

Edited by diogenes227, 21 September 2012 - 01:03 PM.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#4 jack

jack

• Traders-Talk User
  • 907 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

Thx for further thoughts on "notable moments". I asked a group of investors (casual face to face meeting in the 90s) about similar political correlations. Probably my usual tactless style, but it seemed non of them had noticed and if they had, they certainly were not going to talk about it.

#5 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:55 PM

Thx for further thoughts on "notable moments". I asked a group of investors (casual face to face meeting in the 90s) about
similar political correlations. Probably my usual tactless style, but it seemed non of them had noticed and if they had, they
certainly were not going to talk about it.

I can guess the political persuasion of that group of investors in the the 90s. :D

So it goes...

Good luck and good trading to you.