Another Day another Massacre

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,871 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

Maybe we CAN turn the tide on this sick, rot-gut graphic violence industry!
Every movie ticket we buy to one of these blood fests only perpetuates the violence and desensitizes our children to the horror.

Weinstein Cancels 'DJANGO' Premiere In Hollywood...
"This is not about the violence in the film; it reflects the fact that nobody is in the mood to celebrate."

Tarantino: 'Give me a break'...
"Tarantino said: “I just think you know there's violence in the world, tragedies happen, blame the playmakers. It's a western. Give me a break."

Tom Cruise Gun Scene Cut from Movie Marketing...
"The studio wouldn't officially say what the changes are, but a source confirmed that a scene of Cruise's character firing off a semi-automatic weapon is being cut from promotional spots."

Maybe it's time to make movies "morally redeeming" as they did back in the day before these massacres began happening on a regular basis.
Just a thought.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 18 December 2012 - 12:37 AM.

#22 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

Invincible Ignorance

Must every tragic mass shooting bring out the shrill ignorance of "gun control" advocates?

The key fallacy of so-called gun control laws is that such laws do not in fact control guns. They simply disarm law-abiding citizens, while people bent on violence find firearms readily available.

If gun control zealots had any respect for facts, they would have discovered this long ago, because there have been too many factual studies over the years to leave any serious doubt about gun control laws being not merely futile but counterproductive.

Places and times with the strongest gun control laws have often been places and times with high murder rates. Washington, D.C., is a classic example, but just one among many.

http://townhall.com/...8784/page/full/

Bloomberg on Unarmed Principal: "I Don't Know What A Gun Would Have Done"

Bloomberg's bodyguards carry a gun

Bloomberg was asked by a reporter to respond to Rep. Louie Gohmert's comments over the weekend that he wished the principal of the school, who died trying to take down shooter Adam Lanza, had a gun. Bloomberg responded by saying, "There are dumb statements and then there are stupid statements.....I don't know what the gun would have done."

With this logic, I'm sure Bloomberg feels the same way about his armed body guards; that the guns they carry to protect him "do nothing." If sane and trained people with guns are capable of "doing nothing," then why do police and security guards carry them? Why do thousands of people a year save their own lives or the lives of others protecting themselves with guns?

http://townhall.com/...e-done-n1468796
-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#23 Dex

Dex

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

By the gun proponents/rights protectors/etc engaging in responding is conceding to the gun restrictions proponents. It is a mental health issue. The question to ask Bloomberg is "How could have better mental health care have prevented this." or similar.
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. "
17_16

#24 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

It is a mental health issue.

Finally a mention of the real issue here. Whenever these horrific (and it's hard to imagine any more horrific than this one), I am always amazed how quickly the gun nuts jump up and scream don't blame my armory. I saw a statistic the other day that the United States has less gun deaths per 100,000 than war zones, drug wars, and brutal dictatorships. Hey, that's saying something!

And then I'm amazed at how quickly the debate morphs into blame it on Hollywood and video games. How many people own gun and never shoot anyone? How many kids watch Quentin Tarantino movies and/or play Grand Theft Auto and never shoot anyone? We're talking power-ball lottery winner odds here.

And then occasionally a conspiracy theorist will chime in with who know what delusion? Give a conspiracy theorist enough rope and they might do one of these atrocities. You ask me, Dick Cheney did this. After all, he is one of the four Congressmen out of some four hundred who actually voted to allow the manufacture of the plastic guns that could escape security scans and be carried onto airplanes, and it was his and Alfred E. Neuman's administration that had the assault-weapons ban expire so this killer could fire his semi-automatic at will at six and seven year olds.

But back to the real issue. If we're going to let crazies have whatever guns they want, we're going to have to start at least trying to detect and deflect who the crazies are and that's going to take a lot more work and resources then we're even mentioning will be needed, let alone discussing. Ultimately, these events may not be able to be prevented under every circumstance but we'd have a better chance if we in America would finally join the rest of the civilized world and provide ourselves with UNIVERSAL, COMPREHENSIVE, AFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE (and that means some system of single-payer with serious cost controls).

That we have not done that is itself a national mental health issue.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#25 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,871 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

"AFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE" is just one more Straw-man propped up to use this shooting to promote an agenda.
Strawman Defined as: a type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation

"Free" mental health care was not the problem.
His father, Peter Lanza, is a vice president for taxes at GE Energy and Financial Services, who had agreed to solely finance the cost of his two sons' college and graduate school education and to provide a car for Adam if he should want one.

Ancestry.com revealed that many of my ancestors lived into their 90's with NO MODERN HEALTH CARE, NO FEDERAL INCOME TAX, lots of children, lots of guns and zero massacres.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 18 December 2012 - 03:55 PM.

#26 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,871 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

But sadly my ancestors had no graphically violent movies or entertainment.

At least the subject was breached on the CBS morning show:
David Chase, creator of the acclaimed drama "The Sopranos", is back on the publicity trail to promote his first post-"Sopranos" project "Not Fade Away," a film about an aspiring rock band in the 1960s.
But the discussion of the film on "CBS This Morning" was momentarily sidetracked when anchor Charlie Rose asked Chase about the role of violence in popular culture, and its influence on audiences.
"People always ask, well, do these depictions of violence -- do these movies and TV shows make the world a worse place somehow," replied Chase. "The other day I thought to myself, well, does Mary Poppins make the world a better place? Where's the data on that? And if you show me the data on that, then we could talk about the other."
He added, "You expect that the majority of human beings can tell the difference between reality and -- and wherever they are. And I think we have to make things for the majority, not run away from it because of some deranged individuals."
http://www.latimes.c...0,7584577.story

He wants data on Mary Poppins. But the gun control proponents avoid data like the plague.
So we see the entertainment millionaires, (the 1%) see no problem with graphic violence... if it is profitable.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 18 December 2012 - 04:33 PM.

#27 *JB*

*JB*

• Traders-Talk User
  • 915 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

"AFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE" is just one more Straw-man propped up to use this shooting to promote an agenda.
Strawman Defined as: a type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation

"Free" mental health care was not the problem.
His father, Peter Lanza, is a vice president for taxes at GE Energy and Financial Services, who had agreed to solely finance the cost of his two sons' college and graduate school education and to provide a car for Adam if he should want one.

Ancestry.com revealed that many of my ancestors lived into their 90's with NO MODERN HEALTH CARE, NO FEDERAL INCOME TAX, lots of children, lots of guns and zero massacres.

It is being reported tonight that the mother was in the process of having him committed to a mental health facility...and, yes, finances were NOT a problem.

Is is also being reported that he found out and this may be why he "snapped".
"Don't think...LOOK!"
Carl Swenlin, founder of Decision Point and original Fearless Forecasters board.

#28 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,871 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

How about a little more facts and a little less emotion based knee-jerk reaction?

Fact:
"Despite its much stricter gun control, Europe has been the scene of more mass school killings than the United States!
There have been five school shootings in Europe during the past 10 years with 10 or more dead, and two in the United States - the 2007 Virginia Tech incident and the Sandy Hook shootings.
We Americans would be fooling ourselves to think that stricter gun laws would help.

Meanwhile, we in the West suppurate in imagined mass killings. The only surprising thing is that we are surprised when the fantasy turns into reality in the case of a deranged individual. The horror genre consumes a tenth of Hollywood's total output of films and television programs. The zombie apocalypse, with its images of repetitive killing, is the subject of the most-popular cable series ever, AMC's The Walking Dead.

And that doesn't count the action films whose main content is the mowing down of numerous assailants by a heavily armed hero. We should not be surprised at incidents like the Sandy Hook horror. We should be surprised, instead, that deranged individuals do not cross the line between fantasy mass killing with greater frequency.

Why does the West wallow in images of death - not merely death, but death in massive doses, in the form of zombie armies of the walking dead? Jihadi atrocities and mass murders in the West do not occur in different worlds. On September 11, 2001, the horror of Muslim despair broke into American consciousness. As I wrote on the 10th anniversary of the attack (How the hijackers changed American culture, Asia Times Online, September 8, 2011), the popularity of horror films increased sharply after 9/11, from one in 25 in 2000 to one in 10 in 2009. During the 1930s, the proportion was only one in 200.

Constitutionally, it is easier for Americans to censor film violence than to restrict the possession of firearms. There is a constitutional guarantee of the right to bear arms, but no such guarantee of the right to splash rivers of fake blood across movie screens. That is a matter of judicial interpretation of the First Amendment. Censorship of violence might or might not survive court challenges, but it is time to make a stand."
http://www.atimes.co...e/NL19Aa01.html

Edited by Rogerdodger, 18 December 2012 - 10:53 PM.

#29 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

:huh:

Click on the flags for details and sources:

School Shootings Worldwide

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#30 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,871 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

GUNS? We don't need no stinking guns.

Mass killings: Schools and students are vulnerable targets worldwide
BEIJING — A half-day before a young gunman committed one of the deadliest school attacks in U.S. history, a Chinese farmer took a kitchen knife and hacked at more than 20 children as they entered their rural elementary school. 9 died.

On May 18, 1927, a killer used a timed detonator to ignite dynamite and hundreds of pounds of incendiary pyrotol. 38 elementary school children, two teachers, and four other adults were killed; at least 58 people were injured. The perpetrator first killed his wife, and committed suicide with his last explosion. Most of the victims were children in the second to sixth grades (7–14 years of age) attending the Bath Consolidated School. Their deaths constitute the deadliest mass murder in a school in United States history.

Machete thugs hack to death 1,000 in just one town!

MS-13: U.S. targets violent, machete-wielding street gangs
With as many as 10,000 members in 46 states, the gang has expanded beyond its initial and local roots and members are accused of crimes ranging from kidnapping and murder to drug smuggling and human trafficking.
Shatarsky, an MS-13 expert assigned to ICE's national gang unit, said the group quickly established themselves in Los Angeles before later spreading across the country. The group's penchants for violence - using a machete to hack a victim to death or shooting someone in the head in broad daylight for instance - surprised authorities and rival gangs.

Another lovely movie for your kids to watch:
Posted Image

Edited by Rogerdodger, 19 December 2012 - 11:42 AM.