• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:50 PM

How three minutes of exercise a week could change your life
BBC News - Can three minutes of exercise a week help make you fit?
Posted Image
A few relatively short bursts of intense exercise, amounting to only a few minutes a week, can deliver many of the health and fitness benefits of hours of conventional exercise, according to new research, says Dr Michael Mosley. But how much benefit you get from either may well depend on your genes.

Well, just one minute, three times a week. Yes, you read that correctly.
Three minutes a week. Those three minutes can be split into six bursts of 30 seconds over the week, or nine bursts of 20 seconds. But they must be totally full-on.
So-called High Intensive Training (HIT) has been bubbling around for a number of years — since at least 2005, when ground-breaking researchers at McMaster University in Canada referred to it as 'sprint interval training'.
But now, argue its proponents, it's on the verge of becoming mainstream thinking.
There have been more than a dozen published studies into HIT's benefits; several of them, including one of 29 people in the European Journal of Applied Physiology last year, suggested that it substantially improves cardiovascular fitness and reduces the risk factors for type 2 diabetes.
British researcher Dr Jamie Timmons, professor of systems biology at Loughborough University, is at the forefront of research into HIT, leading a clinical trial of 300 overweight volunteers to help establish its benefits.
His results may, in time, fundamentally change the exercise advice doled out by governments worldwide.
How does HIT work? Dr Timmons says no one knows for certain . . . yet.
'We've got enough independent evidence, from different labs, to say this happens. Now we're trying to establish why.'
http://www.dailymail...hange-life.html

Here's a very interesting PBS program from a week ago about fasting by the same guy pictured above:
Michael Mosley | Eat, Fast and Live Longer with Michael Mosley

Edited by Rogerdodger, 11 April 2013 - 12:05 AM.

#2 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

The Truth About Exercise!

Here is the link for the program about HIT 3 minutes a week exercise.
Well worth watching.

The link will expire in May.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2364989581

Edited by Rogerdodger, 12 April 2013 - 09:58 AM.

#3 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

This is really getting interesting.

Twelve minutes' exercise per week 'enough to stay fit'
Just 12 minutes of intensive exercise per week is enough to improve your health if you are overweight, a study has found.
Four-minute bursts of high-intensity exercise such as running on a treadmill, three times a week are enough to increase fitness, researchers found.
Overweight volunteers who undertook the regime for 10 weeks increased their body's oxygen uptake – a measure of fitness – by 10 per cent and saw small decreases in their blood pressure and glucose levels.
Health guidelines generally state that we should undertake at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise or 20 minutes of vigorous exercise per week in order to stay healthy.
But the new study suggests that just 12 minutes of high-intensity exercise, spread out across three sessions, could be enough to keep us fit and healthy, researchers said.
The team from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim studied the effects of different exercise regimes on 24 men who were overweight but otherwise healthy.
Oxygen uptake – the amount of oxygen the body can use during exercise – increased by 10 per cent in the four-minute group, and by 13 per cent in the sixteen-minute group.
Blood pressure and glucose levels lowered by similar amounts in both groups, but the more intensive sixteen-minute sessions was more effective at lowering cholesterol and body fat.
"These data suggest that it may be possible to reduce cardiovascular mortality with substantially less exercise than is generally recommended, provided it is performed in a vigorous manner," they wrote.

http://www.telegraph...o-stay-fit.html

#4 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

I became interested in fasting after seeing this on PBS sometime ago:

Apr 10 2013
Here's a very interesting PBS program from a week ago about fasting by the same guy pictured above:
Michael Mosley | Eat, Fast and Live Longer with Michael Mosley

I tried a bit of it and lost weight and lowered my blood pressure.
So this newest study sounds interesting:

CLAIM: Fasting regenerates immune system...

A person's entire immune system can be rejuvenated by fasting for as little as three days as it triggers the body to start producing new white blood cells, a study suggests.
Scientists at the University of Southern California say the discovery could be particularly beneficial for people suffering from damaged immune systems, such as cancer patients on chemotherapy.
It could also help the elderly whose immune system becomes less effective as they age, making it harder for them to fight off even common diseases.
The researchers say fasting "flips a regenerative switch" which prompts stem cells to create brand new white blood cells, essentially regenerating the entire immune system.
“Now, if you start with a system heavily damaged by chemotherapy or ageing, fasting cycles can generate, literally, a new immune system."
prolonged fasting forces the body to use stores of glucose and fat but also breaks down a significant portion of white blood cells.
During each cycle of fasting, this depletion of white blood cells induces changes that trigger stem cell-based regeneration of new immune system cells.
In trials humans were asked to regularly fast for between two and four days over a six-month period.
Scientists found that prolonged fasting also reduced the enzyme PKA, which is linked to ageing and a hormone which increases cancer risk and tumour growth.
Fasting for 72 hours also protected cancer patients against the toxic impact of chemotherapy.
"More clinical studies are needed, and any such dietary intervention should be undertaken only under the guidance of a physician.”

Edited by Rogerdodger, 08 June 2014 - 09:51 AM.

#5 Lee48

Lee48

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

I saw that PBS program on calorie restriction. It was very interesting and good science.
Now it gets even better. Turns out you may not even have to fast to get the rejuvenation benefits.

Just drop the meat/dairy and eat your beans, fruits, grains and greens.

http://nutritionfact...10e46f-23356197

#6 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:14 PM

"There are lots of ways to do lots of things." I really like the Mediterranean/Atkins type diet. We have reduced our carb intake and increased fats, esp unsaturated. Dr. Pearlmutter claims it will help PREVENT Alzheimer's type dementia. Around two-thirds of your entire brain mass is fat. (We have seen an increase in Dementia and Type 2 diabetes ever since the low fat craze began.) Olives, oil, some meats esp. fish, cheese and lots of green leafy vegs and the perfect foods: eggs and avocados. Wife and I have lost weight, lowered blood pressure, and she has seen an improvement in blood sugar, (Type 2 diabetes). Many claim curing Type 2 diabetes with a low carb/sugar diet. We'll see about that, but no complaints so far. Very easy to just watch the carbs and sugars. New wardrobe is in the cards. B)

Edited by Rogerdodger, 09 June 2014 - 09:26 PM.

#7 Lee48

Lee48

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:32 PM

I saw Dr Pearlmutter, and looked into his claims a bit more and wasn't impressed with what I already knew and learned from Dr's with a good track record.
Smoke and mirrors
https://www.drmcdoug...l/jan/smoke.htm
and
http://drmirkin.com/...ole-grains.html
and Dr Greger will soon address this topic and probably debunk it.

You and your wife can do much better on a WFPB (whole foods plant based) diet. I include some salmon once a wk to cover my bases for enough brain fat.
Also some B-12 and Vit D. Vit D was the only thing I was low on in a blood test as most people are.
I suffered from arthritis in my knees and later elbows at the young age of 36 or so and after going on a WFPB diet at 57 I no longer have any pain and can climb steps and mow the lawn with no problem or pain.
I also had other minor problems clear up and have more energy.

I don't want to do the fasting as I'm already down to a lean weight and don't want to lose more weight. I also checked my muscle measurements as I didn't want to lose any muscle mass and they hung in there and and still do 60 pushups, 80 situps in 2 min and 8 pullups. I could only do 3 pullups when I was age 17 joining the Marines, but could do 12 when I got out.

Dr Greger will soon do a video on Pearlmutter's diet with facts.
Good luck, and good health and what the body needs is a journey with lots to learn. So far what I learned works well for me.

#8 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:13 AM

A diet of balance and variety seems most logical to me.
But avoid foods which cause your individual system problems such as allergic reactions.

You can survive on strict plant based diets but consider this:

STUDY: High protein diet significantly reduces risk of stroke...

Eating a high protein diet significantly lowers the risk of stroke and could prevent 10,000 deaths in Britain every year, a study has suggested.
Consuming as little as one chicken breast, or a salmon fillet – the equivalent of 20g – reduces the risk of stroke by 20 per cent. And for every additional 20 grams per day of protein that people ate, their risk of stroke decreased a further 26 per cent.
"The amount of protein that led to the reduced risk was moderate — equal to 20 grams per day.”
Researchers followed 254,489 people for an average of 14 years and monitored their diets and health.
Dr Liu said that people should avoid red meat, which has been associated with increased stroke risk.
Protein has the effect of lowering blood pressure, which may play a role in reducing stroke risk.
The reduced risk of stroke was stronger for animal protein than vegetable protein.
The research was published in the journal Neurology.

But again, some moderation is needed. Excessive protein consumption is likely not good, especially for the kidneys.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 12 June 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#9 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:41 AM

What are the daily protein requirements? Doctors and FDA recommend much less than what dieters who exercise actually need. They suggest one gram per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight; that’s less than a half-gram of protein per pound of body weight! Another method is to take your body weight and divide by two, but people losing weight and trying to maintain or build more muscle to get their metabolism raised to burn fat should follow the rule of 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. It seems pretty easy, but not as easy to get the protein every day without getting too much saturated fat with it.

Here are some protein figures;

Beef is generally 7 grams of protein per ounce, chicken breast 30 grams in 3.5 ounces, Tuna 40 grams per 6 oz can, fish fillets usually have 22 grams in 3.5 oz, and eggs are 6 grams of protein each. Cottage cheese is 15 grams in a ½ cup, most beans are 7 to 10 grams per ½ cup, tofu is 20 grams of protein in a 1/2 cup and almonds are 8 grams in a 1/4 cup.

Even if you had the highest daily protein requirements for breakfast, lunch and dinner, say about 25 to 30 grams of protein, you would still be lacking your protein requirement for the day. That’s where protein shakes come to the rescue; protein shakes can curb your appetite before you eat, plus the added protein will help your metabolism get in gear.

Beside people dieting and exercising, older adults usually need much more daily protein requirements than they are receiving. Also people that are overweight and people with insulin resistance might need to adjust their protein intake. If you have kidney or liver diseases check with your doctor before increasing your protein.

LINK

#10 Chilidawgz

Chilidawgz

A fool and his money... (the second mousie gets the cheese)

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

Dr. Mercola Interview with Phil Campbell!

Campbell has been teaching HIT for years.

Edited by Chilidawgz, 12 June 2014 - 08:53 AM.

Anything can happen...what's happening now?
No one can forecast the future. No one.

All stocks (ETF's) are BAD...unless they go up - William O'Neil
When The Time Comes To Buy or Sell, You Won't Want To - Walter Deemer