Words of wisdom from a 98 yr old Dr.
I hope to be mowing when I'm 98, if I'm still alive...lol
https://www.youtube....ature=endscreen

#12 Lee48

Lee48

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

Jack LaLanne died at age 96. At age 42 he did 1,033 push-ups in 23 minutes.
For most of his life, he advocated primarily a meat and vegetable diet; eating meat three times per day with eggs and fruit in the morning and many servings of vegetables in the afternoon and evening.[21] In his later years, he appeared to advocate a mostly meatless diet but which included fish (see Pescetarianism),[22][23] and took vitamin supplements

Living is a pain in the butt. Dying is easy. It's like an athletic event. You've got to train for it. You've got to eat right. You've got to exercise. Your health account, your bank account, they're the same thing. The more you put in, the more you can take out. Exercise is king and nutrition is queen: together, you have a kingdom.

91 yr old beats bench press record of 148 lbs.

13 yr old girl benches 240 lbs....gulp

#13 Lee48

Lee48

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:20 PM

Jack LaLanne died at age 96. At age 42 he did 1,033 push-ups in 23 minutes.
For most of his life, he advocated primarily a meat and vegetable diet; eating meat three times per day with eggs and fruit in the morning and many servings of vegetables in the afternoon and evening.[21] In his later years, he appeared to advocate a mostly meatless diet but which included fish (see Pescetarianism),[22][23] and took vitamin supplements

Living is a pain in the butt. Dying is easy. It's like an athletic event. You've got to train for it. You've got to eat right. You've got to exercise. Your health account, your bank account, they're the same thing. The more you put in, the more you can take out. Exercise is king and nutrition is queen: together, you have a kingdom.

91 yr old beats bench press record of 148 lbs.

13 yr old girl benches 240 lbs....gulp

Personally I think Jack is wrong about his quote. "Exercise is king and Nutrition is Queen". I would say Nutrition is King going by all the people that live to be 100+ that may not ever in their life have done 100 push-ups or pull-ups like the 98 yr old vegan Dr and the Okinawan women.

#14 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:35 PM

I think there is something wrong with anyone doing 100 push-ups. :lol:

#15 Lee48

Lee48

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

I would call doing 100 push-ups a form of "intensive training". Doing an exercise to the point of failure. I'd rather do a nice 30 min walk... with maybe 30 or 60 push-ups... :P So-called High Intensive Training (HIT) has been bubbling around for a number of years.

#16 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:14 PM

I would call doing 100 push-ups a form of "intensive training".

I could do it...IF I had the right trainer to inspire me. ;)
Posted Image

Edited by Rogerdodger, 18 June 2014 - 02:15 PM.

#17 Lee48

Lee48

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

You're too comfy, you need to divorce your wife before you can get motivated. The only time my wife exercised, lost weight, or dressed nice to look good was when we separated... :lol:

#18 Lee48

Lee48

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

A few tips from a 72 yr old blonde.
Better add a few raw green drinks to your daily plan.

#19 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 21,996 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

I've done the low meat high complex carbohydrate diet thing. It only worked for me when I was playing squash 5-7 days a week against the best players in the region. :) I went to a Paleo-type diet and discovered that I can again eat hot spicy foods (I couldn't for years as they caused g/i distress), and I dropped about 35 lbs. and several inches from the waist with very little exercise and lots of red wine. Effortless weight loss works for me. I like my food a lot. Evidently, too, I gather I've got a gluten sensitivity/allergy, as even small amounts bring back the problems with hot spicy (yummy) food. So, no beans, no grains, lots and lots of fresh greens, lots of vegetables, lots of meat, lots of wild fish, lots of wild game, and lots of eggs, lots of olive oil and bacon and duck fat. I'm just getting skinnier, or I was but I've been eating more than I need and probably getting about 10-20 grams of carbs more than I should lately. Still, I'm feeling pretty good. More energy. More motivation. Here's today's breakfast. CheddarEggsAvocado.jpg

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#20 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,862 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

That was my breakfast this morning too. (I microwave mine right in the serving bowl with pre-cooked sausages. Cuts out clean-up time.)

very little exercise and lots of red wine. Effortless weight loss works for me.

What surprised me about this type of diet is how easy it is.
But it is almost diametrically opposed to the conventional wisdom of the past several decades.
The important thing is to read those nutrition labels, avoiding sugars and carbs, except dietary fiber carbs.

Recently my wife got a fast food roast beef sandwich and proudly said: "I removed the top bun and left off the cheese."
Then I reminded her that the cheese is OK now. (Although it was probably some kind of fake "cheese spread.")

A recent review of health studies showed that mono and poly unsaturated fats help counteract the saturated fats found in red meats and dairy.
Plus it may help prevent dementia, since our brain matter thrives on fat!
Cholesterol in egg yokes etc. is an important nutritional supplement, which among other things is converted to Vitamin D3 if we get enough sunshine.
(I just love it when conventional wisdom is shown to be so wrong...and deadly.)

http://dietary-fat.com/
"If you mix carbohydrates with dietary fats, they will get stored in your body as bodyfat, bad thing. If you eat dietary fat with protein only, there is no way it will get stored. The more dietary fat you add to your diet while limiting your carbohydrates, you will literally thrive and have more energy than you’ve ever had before."

Evidently, too, I gather I've got a gluten sensitivity/allergy

Dr. Perlmutter (neurologist) on PBS was insistent that fat is good for the brain function and that gluten causes varying degrees of inflammation throughout the body and should be avoided!
Dr. Perlmutter is a renowned neurologist whose expertise includes gluten issues, brain health & nutrition, and preventing neurodegenerative disorders.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 20 June 2014 - 01:23 PM.