• Please log in to reply
490 replies to this topic

#201 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 01:03 PM

SOLAR FREAKIN' ROADWAYS

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#202 AChartist

AChartist

Tim

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:11 PM

I never understood the Hybrid concept.  It takes energy to charge the battery.  The energy comes from your plug in your garage fed by a power plant burning oil.  

Well I can say it works in mpg for sure. It charges when braking I guess the brakes are a generator of sorts, when engine is not loaded coasting at levels

of 60 mpg is borrowing some 

energy back to the battery when excess energy is available. Ours is not plug-in. Mostly in acceleration is when fuel is consumed and that will use the battery power.

Otherwise performance is better the electric auxiliary motor adds good torque. Because performance is better you can do with a 4 cyl engine in a large car that

ordinarily need a six cylinder to get out of its own way.

I should look at that Mercedes C300 plug in while car sales suck and they are on good end of year clearance, but wasnt mentally ready for another car yet.

Edited by AChartist, 31 July 2018 - 10:14 PM.

"marxism-lennonism-communism always fails and never worked, because I know

some of them, and they don't work"  M.Jordan

#203 AChartist

AChartist

Tim

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:30 PM

I think what JB was saying was called hypermiling, I use to practice it in a civic. Mostly illegal.

coast down hill put in neutral to coast, toward bottom use the motor some to maximize speed for momentum to take the

next climb, let speed drop off as much as you can tolerate when topping a hill,

and again down and up the next hill. It tedious and gets old to concentrate on it when traveling so you give up but

fun once to see what is possible in mpg. I was able to make a performance car that usually does 19 mpg, do 25 mpg on the route to work.

I was able to do 45 mpg in a civic on a long trip.

Most standard tires can take 45 psi safely, extra load tires a little more 53. I only do XL when

when I can find a choice, built better. And there are the eco friendly tires not as heavily marketed these days, rubber that is low rolling resistance called hysteresis, and tread pattern design

part of it, best is all season touring, summer touring is usually performance oriented not for rolling resistance.

"marxism-lennonism-communism always fails and never worked, because I know

some of them, and they don't work"  M.Jordan

#204 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:51 PM

EUROPE'S SCORCHING SUMMER

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#205 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:29 PM

The climate has changed since day one.

Massive volcanic eruptions or meteors may have killed animals in the polar regions as they consumed tropical vegetation!

55 million years ago the Arctic was once a lot like Miami, with an average temperature of 74 degrees, alligator ancestors and palm trees, scientists say.

There are also a variety of cycles to which those with neurotic tendencies are blind.

I call this condition Climate Myopia, a condition in which a person has no historical climate reference point.

Thus the horrible 1930's DUST BOWL is well beyond their field of view.

"As bad as this drought is, the Dust Bowl drought in the 1930s remains the worst in American history, mainly due to its decade-long duration. The worst single month was July 1934, when almost 80% of the nation was in a drought."

https://www.usatoday...rought/1691507/

https://agupubs.onli...29/2002JA009390

Then there is the Gleissberg 88-year solar cycle.
Persistence of the Gleissberg 88-year solar cycle over the last ~12,000 years: Evidence from cosmogenic isotopes
2018 - 88 year cycle = 1930's Dust bowl

Then there is what locals call the 22 year peach cycle.

This year 95% of the local peach crop was destroyed by RECORD COLD in April!

The same happened in 1996 and also 1974.

Four 22 year peach cycles = 88 years...Hmmm.

And what is even more fascinating to me is the fact that the 1930's DUST BOWL was preceded by RECORD COLD, even as we saw this past winter and spring.

Additionally, Gleissberg 88-year solar cycle is made up of 3 consecutive very busy 10~ year solar cycles (see cycles 21,22,and 23 below) soon followed by 3 very quiet solar cycles.

Many real climate scientists are now expecting that a lengthy period of solar minimum may be headed our way.

Approaching 'grand solar minimum' could cause global cooling
comparison_recent_cycles.png

Edited by Rogerdodger, 04 August 2018 - 02:38 PM.

#206 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:00 PM

You gotta love August snow!

Mon, Aug 27, 2018

August_2018_Snow_in_Jackson_Hole.jpg

A NORTHERN Italian town close to the Austrian border was hit by severe snowfalls over the weekend as temperatures dropped dramatically to -8C.
August_2018_Snow_in_Italy.jpg

#207 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:56 PM

1100: The Crusades...

1478: The Inquisition...

2018: The Fascism of Globalist Climate Neurotics

'Warming' Advocates Pressure Media to Silence Skeptics...

They say “We are too right to debate”

To the contrary, they raise the acute suspicion that they are silencing dissenters because their their hypotheses are actually very debatable and they can’t stand the contest.

The “experts” (who have been repeatedly caught falsifying and "adjusting" data) don’t get to decide when “the debate is over.”

Trial_of_Galileo.jpg  Aztec_Sacrifice.jpgAztec attempt to control the climate.

"The debate is over Leo."

Edited by Rogerdodger, 28 August 2018 - 08:10 PM.

#208 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:37 AM

Giraffes, elephants wander about in snow after freak blizzards hit Africa...

11th September 2018

ANIMALS more used to the searing heat have been swanning around in the snow after freak blizzards hit the Savannah.

Giraffes, antelopes and elephants were all among the beasts braving the freeze after the white stuff hit South Africa over the weekend.

Snow_in_Africa.jpg

Remember August in Italy?

August_2018_Snow_in_Italy.jpg

Is another 80 year cycle Solar Minimum headed our way?

The current #24 is one of the weakest of the weak.

comparison_similar_cycles.png

Edited by Rogerdodger, 11 September 2018 - 08:44 AM.

#209 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:19 PM

God slams North Carolina for actually voting to disregard climate change.  Second time in two years. swoon.gif

CLIMATE CHANGE COMES HOME TO ROOST

This cleanup and repair is going to cost a bundle.

Oh well...more to come...

Edited by diogenes227, 22 September 2018 - 02:21 PM.

#210 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,872 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 10:01 AM

Headed into Space-Age record cold, warns NASA scientist...

29 Sep 2018 -“The sun is entering one of the deepest Solar Minima of the Space Age,” writes Dr Tony Phillips, editor of spaceweather.com. Sunspots have been absent for most of 2018, and Earth’s upper atmosphere is responding.

Data from NASA’s TIMED satellite show that the thermosphere (the uppermost layer of air around our planet) is cooling and shrinking, literally decreasing the radius of the atmosphere.

“If current trends continue, it could soon set a Space Age record for cold,” says Mlynczak. “We’re not there quite yet, but it could happen in a matter of months.”

Anyone who says we’re enduring “unprecedented global warming” is lying or woefully misinformed.

There have been only two periods in the past 600 million years when it has been colder than today.

Right now, today, we are living through one of the coldest periods in geologic history. The last few year’s minor rise in temperature is too minuscule to even show up on a chart.

See more:

The Chill of Solar Minimum

Edited by Rogerdodger, 01 October 2018 - 10:03 AM.