A Russian soldier fighting in Ukraine described himself as fighting “a holy war” for Mother Russia. There is a nationalistic-religious dimension to Russia’s war in Ukraine that Western analysts are not seeing.
Putin wants to fight off modern values that have unquestionably led to lower birthrates, which is something that Russia, facing demographic disaster, cannot afford.
Examining the Hatred of Vladimir Putin and Russia
Many of the Euro-Atlantic countries are rejecting their historic roots, including the values that constitute the very basis of Western civilisation.
Today the Russian Orthodox Church is the most conservative, traditional and anti-Communist religious body in the world.
Putin has championed Russian laws that:
(1) have practically outlawed abortion in Russia;
(2) clamp down on homosexuality and homosexual propaganda---no homosexual propaganda in Russian schools, no public displays of homosexuality;
(3) strongly support traditional marriage, especially religious marriage, with financial aid to married couples having more than two children;
(4) have established compulsory religious instruction in all Russian schools;
(5) have made religious holidays now official Russian state holidays;
(6) have instituted a nationwide program of rebuilding churches that were destroyed by the Communists; and
(7) officially support the Russian film industry in producing conservative religious and patriotic movies