Correctly Defining “Bear Market” Tom McClellan

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#11 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:16 PM

I may even pay for your "teaching" as well.

Your choice, but I'll let my 13 year track record on this board speak for itself.

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#12 TechMan

TechMan

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:21 PM

NYMO is a nice reference indicator and perhaps a good "teaching" tool, but that 2-4 weeks of time-lag (blue & red arrows) could blow up a real trader's real account.
Posted Image

Not unless you know the context of the lag as it relates to the relationship between breadth and price.

Fib

Please post a real time trade on Monday with specific entry, stop, and exit so that we can see how you trade "the context of the lag as it relates to the relationship between breadth and price".

You're more than welcome to become a month to month subscriber if you're REALLY interested in learning something about the tool, and by extension, to become a better trader overall.

In lieu of that, there are many posts on the subject that you can do a search for to help explain this relationship.

Fib

Instead of more sales pitch, why can't you just post a real time trade with specific entry, stop, and exit on this forum so that we can all learn how to trade "the context of the lag as it relates to the relationship between breadth and price"?

I think that's good for your business. You'd get more subscribers. I may even pay for your "teaching" as well.

Your choice, but I'll let my 13 year track record on this board speak for itself.

Fib

If you're such a great trader for 13 years, what's with one more real time trade on Monday with specific entry, stop, and exit to demonstrate how you trade "the context of the lag as it relates to the relationship between breadth and price"?

#13 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:30 PM

If you're such a great trader for 13 years, what's with one more real time trade on Monday with specific entry, stop, and exit to demonstrate how you trade "the context of the lag as it relates to the relationship between breadth and price"?

I withdraw my previous invitation to subscribe...being argumentative won't help you in opening new doors.

Fib

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

#14 TechMan

TechMan

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:33 PM

NYMO is a nice reference indicator and perhaps a good "teaching" tool, but that 2-4 weeks of time-lag (blue & red arrows) could blow up a real trader's real account.
Posted Image

Not unless you know the context of the lag as it relates to the relationship between breadth and price.

Fib

Please post a real time trade on Monday with specific entry, stop, and exit so that we can see how you trade "the context of the lag as it relates to the relationship between breadth and price".

You're more than welcome to become a month to month subscriber if you're REALLY interested in learning something about the tool, and by extension, to become a better trader overall.

In lieu of that, there are many posts on the subject that you can do a search for to help explain this relationship.

Fib

Instead of more sales pitch, why can't you just post a real time trade with specific entry, stop, and exit on this forum so that we can all learn how to trade "the context of the lag as it relates to the relationship between breadth and price"?

I think that's good for your business. You'd get more subscribers. I may even pay for your "teaching" as well.

Fib

I withdraw my previous invitation to subscribe...being argumentative won't help you in opening new doors.

Fib

All I'm asking for is a real time trade on Monday with specific entry, stop, and exit to show how you trade "the context of the lag as it relates to the relationship between breadth and price". You're the one that went off to other stuff and sales pitch.

Edited by TechMan, 29 August 2015 - 03:34 PM.

#15 TechMan

TechMan

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:19 PM

Nothing looks bearish here

What?

Wow.

Fib

Fib_1618 - Before I pay for your "teaching", you've posted the above in "real time" when CLK commented that there's nothing bearish about the selloff on Tuesday, 8/25/2015. And 8/25/2015 turned out to be a great buying opportunity. The SPX has since rallied 120 points in just 3 sessions.

Is there a follow-up or clarification on that?

Edited by TechMan, 29 August 2015 - 04:20 PM.

#16 Dex

Dex

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:27 PM

Fib is a great Guru. He knows how to bait the hook to get subs - be opaque, and leave the rubes wanting more info.

He won't get specific. His thing is to write a lot of words that cover all the bases. So, he can go back and point out in his transcripts that he predicted what currently is happening in the market.

Edited by Dex, 29 August 2015 - 06:31 PM.

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. "
17_16

#17 TechMan

TechMan

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:43 PM

Fib is a great Guru. He knows how to bait the hook to get subs - be opaque, and leave the rubes wanting more info.

He won't get specific. His thing is to write a lot of words that cover all the bases. So, he can go back and point out in his transcripts that he predicted what currently is happening in the market.

You know the best, DEX, as a great teacher of the "guru workshop". :=)

In any case, that's fine, but let's just call it as it is. Fib_1618 is selling a "teaching" service. Nothing wrong with that. However, when you do your usual sales pitch, you can't get defensive about prospective customer asking question about the quality of the product. A successful sales person would welcome any question and would do a demo to show how the product works.

#18 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:44 PM

What?

Wow.

Fib

Fib_1618 - Before I pay for your "teaching", you've posted the above in "real time" when CLK commented that there's nothing bearish about the selloff on Tuesday, 8/25/2015. And 8/25/2015 turned out to be a great buying opportunity. The SPX has since rallied 120 points in just 3 sessions.

2015-08-27 17:01:09 fib1618: we got our buy signal at about 2:15 eastern time on Wednesday to cover short and move long
2015-08-27 17:01:20 fib1618: up until then
2015-08-27 17:01:30 fib1618: we still didn't have any real clarity
2015-08-27 17:01:38 fib1618: it could had turned into another Tuesday last hour
2015-08-27 17:01:57 fib1618: but once we moved above, and then tested the EMA's, and then went higher, that was the trigger

That was at SPX 1900 cash.

Any other questions or do you want to pull other innocent posters into our conversation?

Fib

#19 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:45 PM

Posted Image

Fib

Probably should not get into this spat but since I don't have anything else to do at the moment (other than going out and picking up all the tree limbs that have blown down in our big winds last night)...

Speaking of "big winds", TechMan, I doubt you're going to be able to badger Fib into posting a "real time" trade Monday. Can't really speak for Fib on this matter, but, in my experience, we who pay close attention to breadth sometimes just get tired of forever having to explain the OBVIOUS value of the McClellan tools. Fib may not have a real time trade for Monday (real time being totally dependent on an individual trader's chosen time frame), and he's probably not interested in doing it for free in the face of your badgering when over and over again he's shared the methodology here that reveals trade criteria not only for "real time" but more importantly as the context for "future time" (you did notice he said "context" above?).

So, again not speaking for Fib, here is how the NYMO works for me at the moment. Wait, not quite at the moment...first we have to back before tripping to the future. Last weekend, with the market and the NYMO slamming down, one would presumably be short or playing the short side, and Monday comes and the NYMO (as well as the Summation Index) has one on the right side of that crash. Now Tuesday arrives and the NYMO turns up in deeply oversold territory, that just screams "COVER!"; or go long on the close; or, if one only pays attention after the close, go long on the next day's open.

With the NYMO climbing all week, here are the results on a few choice vehicles as of Friday's close: TQQQ up 22.3% from Tueday's close, 14% from Wednesday's open; ERX up 35.1% from Tues. close, 28% from Wednesday's open; SOXL up; 29.9% and 20.3%; SPY Sept. 187 (in the money) calls up 1.11% from Tues close; QQQ Sept. 98 calls up 120%; NQ futures up 150%.

Now what to do with all this profits granted one by the NYMO? There is no sell signal but if one was the heed the advice of another great trader (NAV...see his trading system post) one might want to scale out of a a third here (Friday's close) or there (Monday's open since there was a down click on the NYSE A/D line Friday) and then wait for an actual sell on the NYMO (it turns down...whenever) to dump the last third; or one could take the advice of another good trader (you, TechMan) and recognize this advance is beyond three standard deviations of average up swing and get out ASAP (if not on Friday's close); or one could simply ride the whole shebang to end of the signal and hope it doesn't give back too much of this magnificent swing. All of these choices, except for last Friday's close, are possible "future trades" on an on-going NYMO buy signal, and when it turns down it is a precise sell signal for swing traders (clear to read with no fudging around whatsoever).

As for Fib's real time "Wow" on CLK's assertion nothing is bearish. Wen it was said, there had been bearish divergences all over the market, leaders (like AAPL) have broken down, the VIX has screamed above 25, the indexes have crumbled, and now the NYSE margin debt is unraveling. Nothing is bearish? Despite the rally out of extremely oversold this week, EVERYTHING IS BEARISH. That all could change of course any time, and even quickly but for now I can only second Fib's "Wow."

Good luck and good trading.

P.S. You know, Techman...you know all this based on your own work so I don't know why you're browbeating Fib for just mentioning his own. (By the way, he didn't detail the lag stuff, but if one is experienced in reading the highs-below-highs and the lows-above-lows on the NYMO there is not much lag at all, but I've bored everyone here with that for too many years already.)

Good luck and good trading.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#20 TechMan

TechMan

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:47 PM

What?

Wow.

Fib

2015-08-27 17:01:09 fib1618: we got our buy signal at about 2:15 eastern time on Wednesday to cover short and move long
2015-08-27 17:01:20 fib1618: up until then
2015-08-27 17:01:30 fib1618: we still didn't have any real clarity
2015-08-27 17:01:38 fib1618: it could had turned into another Tuesday last hour
2015-08-27 17:01:57 fib1618: but once we moved above, and then tested the EMA's, and then went higher, that was the trigger

That was at SPX 1900 cash.

Any other questions or do you want to pull other innocent posters into our conversation?

Fib

Yes, please post a real time trade on Monday with specific entry, stop, and exit to show how you trade "the context of the lag as it relates to the relationship between breadth and price".