• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 viccarter

viccarter

TRIN_Rida

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:12 AM

Really enjoyed last week's tournament of champions. I looked up the winner, Alex Jacob, and read that he was a Chicago based trader as well as a high level poker player. I am not surprised as he displayed a lot of those skills in winning the tournament despite perhaps being outmatched in overall knowledge by the runner up, Matt, who was an encyclopedia. Anyway, this business certainly contains some of the best and brightest out there. Often its best not to think about who might be on the other side of your position :o

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Alex_Jacob

#2 HoseB

HoseB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:39 AM

I watched all of that and am amazed at the breadth of knowledge of those players. I've got degrees in 3 disciplines + would be "decent" in Science in general... but that's nowhere near enough to compete with those players. (In my "areas", I'd be strong... but I ain't got that many areas.) What did they do to get so much overall, well-rounded knowledge about so many things??

Edited by HoseB, 24 November 2015 - 11:49 AM.

40,000 headmen couldn't make me change my mind....

#3 risk_management

risk_management

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:41 AM

I watched all of that and am amazed at the breadth of knowledge of those players.

I've got degrees in 3 disciplines, but that's nowhere near enough to compete with those players.

What did they do to get so much overall, well-rounded knowledge about so many things??

Jacob, who earned a bachelor's degree in economics and mathematics from Yale, says a solid memory helped him win. But he also was serious about studying for the quiz show well before he was invited to compete.

Many leisure-time hours in the past five years were spent online, Jacob said, crediting a fan-created website with thousands of previous "Jeopardy!" questions and answers, j-archive.com, as especially valuable.

#4 HoseB

HoseB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:50 AM

I watched all of that and am amazed at the breadth of knowledge of those players.

I've got degrees in 3 disciplines, but that's nowhere near enough to compete with those players.

What did they do to get so much overall, well-rounded knowledge about so many things??

Jacob, who earned a bachelor's degree in economics and mathematics from Yale, says a solid memory helped him win. But he also was serious about studying for the quiz show well before he was invited to compete.

Many leisure-time hours in the past five years were spent online, Jacob said, crediting a fan-created website with thousands of previous "Jeopardy!" questions and answers, j-archive.com, as especially valuable.

And recall Ken Jennings... who won like 74 Jeopardy games. Sheesh!

#5 hhh

hhh

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:15 PM

Need I remind everyone that it's a TV SHOW for crying out loud. You don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

#6 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:37 PM

Some are rocket surgeons:

#7 HoseB

HoseB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:50 PM

She's cute/sexy, makes a lot of money and as Meat Loaf sang for us... "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad".

#8 HoseB

HoseB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:51 PM

Need I remind everyone that it's a TV SHOW for crying out loud. You don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

Inferring what, exactly?

#9 hhh

hhh

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:11 PM

Inferring what, exactly?

Misrepresentation for entertainment purposes to sell advertising is their game. Discussing it as though it's reality may be entertaining too, but not very productive.

#10 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:38 AM

She's cute/sexy, makes a lot of money and as Meat Loaf sang for us... "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad".

And she has her own TV show premiering Thanksgiving evening!
She seems to be intelligent but ignorant about a lot of things, which makes her so much fun.
I Love Kellie Pickler

(I remember how "dumb" Lucille Ball was before she owned Desi-Lu and produced half of the shows on TV.) ;)

Edited by Rogerdodger, 25 November 2015 - 09:42 AM.