Life and death on a chart

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:41 PM

The older that I get, the more my ancestry interests me.

I finally tried the Ancestry.com's DNA test and am curiously awaiting the results.

Then with the winter break last week I signed up for the free trial of Ancestry.com.

I have been totally absorbed with what I have been finding.

You can even find some photos of the some of them!

I always thought that my grandfather only had one brother.

Boy was I shocked to find that his mother gave birth to 14 kids!

Hinds.jpg

Do not even try this unless you have three or more days to investigate non-stop.

The tree seems like 2x2 grandparents (Paternal & Maternal) =8 great grandparents, 8x8=64 Great-great Grandparents, and pretty soon you have a data base with hundreds of hints of relatives. The hints come from other relatives who have done some investigating, Census, Find-a-grave, Social Security, Draft Records, Newspapers, etc.

Looking at the 1880 census was way cool.

My 2nd great Grandfather from Alabama was killed the Civil War's Virginia Battle of Kettle Run, the very week he enlisted.

Rebel no doubt.  That's where I get it, I suppose.

A great grandfather was an inventor.

A 1st cousin got life in prison at 18 for driving a robbery get away car. His uncle got the Electric Chair for murder in Texas!

Totally absorbing stuff.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 01 January 2016 - 09:47 PM.

#2 MaryAM

MaryAM

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:43 PM

I love this site.  I have been working on my family history for a very long time and have it back into the 1600's on both my mothers side and fathers side.  I don't have any criminals that I know of - just breeders - my earliest grandfather on my fathers side had 14 children by the first wife, 11 by the second wife and 7 by the third before he finally died.  Also had a grandmother from the 1700's that lived to be 107 before all of our modern and expensive medicine.   

#3 brucekeller

brucekeller

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:34 PM

It's amazing how far you can go back with the help of others that have been working on trees too. I traced my lineage back to about the year 383 using the clues, but only if they had a few citations minumum. It started getting mythical at the 400s though... I am technically related to Charlemagne and that whole Carolingian dynasty and I think the Robert the Bruce that came before the one from Braveheart.   Of course, I bet most that can get past the 1500s probably would find relations to a lot of the same people because once you start going back far enough, you find a lot more common ancestors.  You just had to hope your family was doing OKAY in some of the murkier times in history where not everyone was keeping genealogical records.   

3d68Src.png

#4 brucekeller

brucekeller

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 06:06 PM

Although results may vary. That was from my Mom's side. It really helped she had birth and death dates and places up until her great grandfather. My Dad's side didn't even get past my great great grandparents. :\

Edited by brucekeller, 03 January 2016 - 06:06 PM.

#5 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,863 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:05 AM

Today I found one branch on my side going directly to Germany; Hinds/Heinz

Another with Irish blood.

Likewise with my wife. Her dad's parents were both 3rd or 4th generation Irish, Shannon.

Her maternal Grandad was full blown German: derWeinerschnitzle.

He did pretty good in the oil business then lost much of his million during the depression, but then did ok afterwards.

Art_Avers.jpg

We are still looking for the Cherokees somewhere in the woodpile.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 04 January 2016 - 12:18 AM.