Hello from a new member

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Rich C

Rich C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:08 PM

I've watched this forum for a couple of months and decided to join.  

I'm retired after a 40 year career in IT, programmer, then managed data centers and software development projects (mainframer here).  My degree was in math, but I haven't used much since college days.  I've been active in the markets for 30 years or so, I've tried several different styles before settling where I am now.  I try to take the easy money, invest when the odds are with me.  I buy oversold markets and sell into overbought markets, and I use SPY a lot.  I don't have to be in the market all the time, I have a lot of cash now.

From 2000 - 2010 I was out of the stock market and camped out in CD's, all fully insured.  They were badged properly and spread across multiple banks.  The PE just got too rich in late '99 and I started selling.  While the Dow was going down 15% a year 2000 - 2002, I was up 5% a year and sleeping well.  Others did much better I am sure, but for working a full time job outside the financial industry, I thought it was a good play.  When the markets recovered in '03 - '07, I stayed in the CD's because I could see housing was going nuts as well as CMO's, etc.  I thought it would end badly but did not know when.  It ended much worse than I thought, but I remained safe, sleeping well.  I got back into the stock market in 2010 after I thought the carnage was over.

I time the market, but don't try to time it to the day, I'm not that good and I know it.  I subscribed to newsletters and learned a lot from Martin Zweig and Richard Russell.  I am not a Dow Theorist, I find it obscure and the extra effort does not add enough value beyond basic technical analysis to be worth my while.  

I have a blog you can check out at RichInvesting.wordpress.com .  Most of you will probably think it is too elementary, and that's ok; folks like you are not my primary target.  I appreciate all the feedback I can get on the blog!

Blogging at http://RichInvesting.wordpress.com

My swing trades typically last a couple of weeks to a couple of months.