VST-Bear Trap Alert

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Iblayz

Iblayz

• TT Patron+
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:39 AM

I will say this in defense of Fib and in reference to his being (incorrectly) labeled a permabull. In my opinion (and for the life of me I really don't understand it), there are way too many posters on public message boards who NEVER seem to have a bullish thought (and this in spite of the market spending around 67% of its time advancing). Yes, Fib gets more active when the market has advanced and keeps advancing. But (and again just my opinion), it seems like everybody and his brother are determined to call market tops and label "short opportunities of a lifetime" way too early. Fib pops up and points out that the internals are not ready to roll over just yet and by doing so tries to help these people in spite of themselves. From what I have seen of his posts, he daytrades quite a bit (and considers that a strength) but.......that part of him is reserved for his subscribers and his chatroom. From a trend perspective, he is virtually NEVER on the wrong side of the market because his work is stellar. And he is adept at recognizing when the market is showing signs of turning.......as referenced by his chatroom warning (via log post here) a few days ago and also pre-brexit. He is NOT needed when the market is falling dramatically because then the permabears are not only VERY active but they are getting to enjoy the pleasure of being right for at least a short time in the grand scheme of things. There are a LOT of people here (active and inactive) that could benefit from paying attention to his tidbits and it is my bet that there are many who, long ago, figured out what I am posting about him and recognize the value of his contribution to a FREE board. I, for one, would be FAR worse off had I not read so many of his posts over the years.

Edited by Iblayz, 14 September 2016 - 11:40 AM.

#22 andr99

andr99

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,433 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:11 PM

I will say this in defense of Fib and in reference to his being (incorrectly) labeled a permabull. In my opinion (and for the life of me I really don't understand it), there are way too many posters on public message boards who NEVER seem to have a bullish thought (and this in spite of the market spending around 67% of its time advancing). Yes, Fib gets more active when the market has advanced and keeps advancing. But (and again just my opinion), it seems like everybody and his brother are determined to call market tops and label "short opportunities of a lifetime" way too early. Fib pops up and points out that the internals are not ready to roll over just yet and by doing so tries to help these people in spite of themselves. From what I have seen of his posts, he daytrades quite a bit (and considers that a strength) but.......that part of him is reserved for his subscribers and his chatroom. From a trend perspective, he is virtually NEVER on the wrong side of the market because his work is stellar. And he is adept at recognizing when the market is showing signs of turning.......as referenced by his chatroom warning (via log post here) a few days ago and also pre-brexit. He is NOT needed when the market is falling dramatically because then the permabears are not only VERY active but they are getting to enjoy the pleasure of being right for at least a short time in the grand scheme of things. There are a LOT of people here (active and inactive) that could benefit from paying attention to his tidbits and it is my bet that there are many who, long ago, figured out what I am posting about him and recognize the value of his contribution to a FREE board. I, for one, would be FAR worse off had I not read so many of his posts over the years.

Things probably depend on what angle you look at them from, because if the spx has been unable to roll down, it has also been unable to break up. Infact it has gone substantially nowhere for the last two years....Nov 2014 spx 2080....Sept 2016 spx 2120. In these two years it has reached 1820, but it has never gone above 2200 and 1820 is far more distant to 2080 than 2200 is. Probably a bullish bias is right also when the market goes sideways....You should trace a line passing trough 2080 and look at the spx chart starting from Nov 2014............almost two years ago. Look at its moves above and below that line and tell me what were the most important ones

Edited by andr99, 14 September 2016 - 12:13 PM.

forever and only a V-E-N-E-T-K-E-N - langbard

#23 Bernie

Bernie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 423 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:27 PM

ditto Iblayz, Very true Andrr 99, Where has it gone since 2009? The consolidation range is bullish for the historical longterm of the market until proven otherwise.
Think of it as a measured move. In the past the markets have moved up out of this type of formation with Fed tightening. 3 out of 4 times since the 70's.

#24 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:43 PM

This is not about Fib or you or anyone else on this board. To make money in markets, it requires something more than just philosophy, something more than just a model to analyze the markets, something more than just identifying trend, analyzing volume, gauging sentiment etc. Yes, they are all fine and makes for some entertaining read. But it ain't going to make you a penny !  I guarantee you that. 

Trading is a cold hard game of identifying high odds entry points, pre-determining risk on the trade a.k.a STOP and having a method to exit profitably. When i came on this board more than 13 years back, there was very little literature either here or elsewhere on the internet as to how to identify the trifecta of trading Entry/Stop/Exit. I struggled for many years on trying to understand how to enter, exit and place stops. You are not going to get them from professional vendors of services (which i have subscribed to one too many). You have to really interact with professional traders to understand these aspects of the game. 

There is a big difference between a professional vendor and a professional trader. Vendors are all about analyzing the health of markets and determining the direction of the markets. All they discuss is about market direction, trends, targets, health of markets etc, rarely about how to make money. You talk to any professional trader. They talk only about - "where was your entry", "Where's your STOP" and "where's your exit or trailing STOP", "How many points did you make this month?", "What was your max drawdown this year", "How's your equity curve" etc.  I interact with many professional traders who do this for a living. All we discuss is  trend change, entry, exit and stop. Of course money management is important to contain your long term risk and drawdowns. That's a different subject altogether.

Nothing has changed in the internet world as regards to trading. Most don't have clue on how to trade the markets. Most professional traders would not reveal their systems and the edge they have by the virtue of their trading system. That is precisely the reason you rarely find any good information on trading systems anywhere on the internet or any good books related to them. So most amateurs become fodder for services, searching for that elusive knowledge, which nobody is willing to share. Just think about it for a moment. Will you share the goose that lays the golden eggs ? 

The only way to make money is to think independently, spend a lot of time studying the markets, building trading systems, backtesting, forward testing in real markets, make money, lose money. It's a long drawn process even for those who are very committed to make it in this tough business. It's not 95% traders who lose money. It's more like 99%. One of my friend runs a brokerage, who says, 99% of his clients lose money and most amateurs traders who enter this business have a lifespan of less than 6 months. If anybody thinks, they can get a profitable trading system for $29.99 a month, they have a lot to learn and they will learn the hard way. Go to collective2.com. It's a ghost town of failed systems and ruined subscribers. 

To become a trader, you have to start thinking like a trader i.e how to make money, not getting obsessed with analyzing market direction. Again all that matters - ENTRY, EXIT and STOP. 

I am not saying my posts are anymore useful than others as i do not share my methodology, which i don't intend to. But my message to anybody who wants to become a trader is to start thinking like a trader - ENTRY/EXIT/STOP. The only things that matter. 

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#25 alexnewbee

alexnewbee

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:48 PM

This is not about Fib or you or anyone else on this board. To make money in markets, it requires something more than just philosophy, something more than just a model to analyze the markets, something more than just identifying trend, analyzing volume, gauging sentiment etc. Yes, they are all fine and makes for some entertaining read. But it ain't going to make you a penny !  I guarantee you that. 

Trading is a cold hard game of identifying high odds entry points, pre-determining risk on the trade a.k.a STOP and having a method to exit profitably. When i came on this board more than 13 years back, there was very little literature either here or elsewhere on the internet as to how to identify the trifecta of trading Entry/Stop/Exit. I struggled for many years on trying to understand how to enter, exit and place stops. You are not going to get them from professional vendors of services (which i have subscribed to one too many). You have to really interact with professional traders to understand these aspects of the game. 

There is a big difference between a professional vendor and a professional trader. Vendors are all about analyzing the health of markets and determining the direction of the markets. All they discuss is about market direction, trends, targets, health of markets etc, rarely about how to make money. You talk to any professional trader. They talk only about - "where was your entry", "Where's your STOP" and "where's your exit or trailing STOP", "How many points did you make this month?", "What was your max drawdown this year", "How's your equity curve" etc.  I interact with many professional traders who do this for a living. All we discuss is  trend change, entry, exit and stop. Of course money management is important to contain your long term risk and drawdowns. That's a different subject altogether.

Nothing has changed in the internet world as regards to trading. Most don't have clue on how to trade the markets. Most professional traders would not reveal their systems and the edge they have by the virtue of their trading system. That is precisely the reason you rarely find any good information on trading systems anywhere on the internet or any good books related to them. So most amateurs become fodder for services, searching for that elusive knowledge, which nobody is willing to share. Just think about it for a moment. Will you share the goose that lays the golden eggs ? 

The only way to make money is to think independently, spend a lot of time studying the markets, building trading systems, backtesting, forward testing in real markets, make money, lose money. It's a long drawn process even for those who are very committed to make it in this tough business. It's not 95% traders who lose money. It's more like 99%. One of my friend runs a brokerage, who says, 99% of his clients lose money and most amateurs traders who enter this business have a lifespan of less than 6 months. If anybody thinks, they can get a profitable trading system for $29.99 a month, they have a lot to learn and they will learn the hard way. Go to collective2.com. It's a ghost town of failed systems and ruined subscribers. 

To become a trader, you have to start thinking like a trader i.e how to make money, not getting obsessed with analyzing market direction. Again all that matters - ENTRY, EXIT and STOP. 

I am not saying my posts are anymore useful than others as i do not share my methodology, which i don't intend to. But my message to anybody who wants to become a trader is to start thinking like a trader - ENTRY/EXIT/STOP. The only things that matter. 

Great comments, Nav.
For me also works one more thing - never think about the money. Think about doing the right thing. Then money comes.
"we do G.d's work" Lloyd Blankfein

#26 Bernie

Bernie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 423 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:50 PM

Excellent Nav!

#27 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:14 PM

Just as a matter of clarity, Technical Watch does specifically discuss entry and exit points in many market areas when we review equity breadth and volume data all in an effort to show how to use these key dynamics to compliment basic charting techniques. This is why people pay for the service and do stay on for many years in spite of having the option to opt out, at any time, on a month to month basis....because it's consistent and it works no matter which way the tide flows. I will also say that Technical Watch is one of the few (if any at all) subscription services in this business that provides ALL chat room and weekly breadth data archives going back to 2005 of which anyone can access to ascertain a track record. One can also access the search bar of this site to find that I have done more than my bit in providing analytical information that you can use and not hide behind some curtain of it being proprietary. There's nothing to hide in this business...it's all been done before...with the trick being able to use analytical tools in a way that not only makes good sense, but it actually makes you money with the proper discipline and patience.

Thanks to both of you for your posts.

Fib

Edited by fib_1618, 14 September 2016 - 02:16 PM.

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#28 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:29 PM

fib_1618,

Honestly my comments have nothing to do with you or technical watch. I do not know much about your services, as i have not been a subscriber. From what i have known of you over the years on this board, you come across a technical analyst with a consistent approach to markets, usually on the correct side of the market.

I see a lot of obsession over market analysis  and market calls on this board and very little attention to the business of trading. That prompted my comments. 

Although i do agree that there is no secret sauce in this business, there are proprietary methods which are designed to gain a slight edge. Most professional traders would not share it with others and kill that edge. 

Edited by NAV, 14 September 2016 - 02:30 PM.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#29 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,019 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:28 PM

How many times have we called the market perfectly, and yet failed to execute or failed to let profits run?

Actually taking action is tough. I mean, once, twice, three times, is easy.  Its tough to do it every time. That's where you need to make sure your approach doesn't subject you to more pain or stress or work than you can consistently manage. And yes, entry and exit/stop are more important than calling the turn or the trend accurately.

I'm going to give some thought to sharing some of my tricks that I use to keep mental discipline.

M

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#30 Harapa

Harapa

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:56 PM

Actually taking action is tough. I mean, once, twice, three times, is easy.  Its tough to do it every time. That's where you need to make sure your approach doesn't subject you to more pain or stress or work than you can consistently manage. And yes, entry and exit/stop are more important than calling the turn or the trend accurately.

Monopoly is a low turn over setup...it is great in finding the turns...but the problem is when it does, it is a lone wolf...so very difficult to believe and execute the signal. Imagine moving from long to short on Oct. 26, 2007 or from short to long on Mar. 18, 2009...assume a 7 figure portfolio...

My comments are for entertainment/educational purpose only. All posted trades are fake (aka. paper) trades.