Election Pattern & Turn Dates

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thoughtpwr

thoughtpwr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:38 PM

I was worried about 10/19 being a high, but didn't exit long positions, because the election seasonal pattern highs off of bottom hadn't been reached. Clearly the retracement of Thurs and today, show it was a high, but a turn date was 10/21 as well. It would appear with the OOPS buy signal we got this morning following through today would appear to make 10/21 a low. Typically an OOPS pattern is to exit on the next opening, which would be Monday AM.  10/24 is also a minor turn date, so I have a hunch that we gap and initially rally on Monday to reach the targets SPY 216-217 in keeping with the strength of the last Monday of the month and an OOPS sell action. But I would not be surprised to then sell-off beginning late Monday into a low on Tuesday AM/PM, since 10/24 is also a minor turn date. 

There is a very strong seasonal Buy pattern that takes place at the close of 10/24 and ends on COB 11/1. This matches up with the presidential pattern for a low late in Oct and a high in early Nov. 10/28 is also a major turn date and with the first Monday 10/31 providing strength. Its possible that 10/28 is a low, however, that would be counter to  all three election patterns I have seen with the low taking place well before the month ends. 

I am hanging onto my long put spreads until Monday AM or 216, before I go flat for a bottom to occur early next week Mon or Tues.  I will be long into the election. The election pattern is to be short coming out, which I take as sell the news as the pattern has been predicting the incumbents win (83% today) and sells off into Nov mid to post options expiration in a choppy pattern with a continuation of the sell off in GLD to continue post election.

That's my plan and will see if I have to make adjustments to it as well?

Edited by thoughtpwr, 21 October 2016 - 12:46 PM.

#2 thoughtpwr

thoughtpwr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:18 PM

I forgot to mention the VIX down 3 from peak at 17.95 generated a Buy signal that occurred on Wed, which supports the potential for bottom in place.  XLI, which I was short from 10/14 appears to have made a double bottom today as well, so several things point to the low being in, but early next week will tell the real story. MACD has not made the cross-over to lock in a potential positive divergence on the low yet. 

#3 lawdog

lawdog

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:09 PM

Makes a lot of sense. Good roadmap for the next few weeks. 

#4 thoughtpwr

thoughtpwr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:04 PM

I got Monday wrong, its not the last Monday of the month, so there is no strength inherit in Monday.  I will likely be quicker on the trigger.