Apology to the board

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Iblayz

Iblayz

• TT Patron+
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:15 PM

It is clear to me that the nature of my post(s) over the weekend offended some users of this site. If one person was offended (and that was obvious), I assume that many more were as well. I am very sorry that this happened. I am very headstrong and will stand up to virtually anyone in person if I think that it is necessary. So, when composing posts or even emails, I tend to sometimes be a bit over the top in terms of sarcasm and/or bluntness. And, in this case, my disdain for a certain class of operators at the top of this market (and no, it is NOT fund managers) led me to phrase my words in a manner that could and probably did offend many who read them. I am ashamed that this happened and I am REALLY ashamed that it happened on this board that I have supported financially. So, to each and every person who took offense at those words, I say this from my heart. I am truly sorry that I did that.

A few years ago (well, more than just a few) I lived in a city adjacent to the one I live in now. The city had its own Electric service and billed directly for it. One problem…….the due date for the power bill was the first of the month and if you didn’t have that bill paid by the third, they cut your power on the morning of the fourth. My dad had a minor heart attack and my mother had taken him to the hospital where he had a major heart attack as they were working on him. He would have died almost instantly from the second one had he not been in the hospital under direct treatment at the time. For several days I ran my business and late in the day drove over sixty miles to the hospital……..got home very late……and repeated the process the next day. I forgot to pay my power bill. On the evening of the fourth I came home near midnight to a totally dark house. The next day I went to City Hall to try to plead my case. To my chagrin and irregardless of my circumstances, I was told that the penalty was over $200.00 and had to be paid in cash to the police department. After they forwarded the money to City Hall, then someone would have to go personally to the house to turn the power back on. I was so angry upon leaving (and everybody in the place knew it) that I went to my house, opened the freezer, placed all of my frozen food in a large bag and returned to City Hall. I walked in, stood right in the middle of the floor and loudly announced my presence. There were 15-20 city workers and customers in there and everybody just stopped what they were doing. In a loud voice I proclaimed that the city’s arrogance would cause me to lose all of this and further said that if anyone was hungry “you can have this food cause I am going to lose it”. I promptly raised the bag high over my head, dropped it in the middle of the floor and walked out. I felt like pounding my chest for a few minutes until the reality of what I had just done hit me upside the head. About thirty minutes later, I walked right back in there (and scared everybody to death when I did). But, with my tail between my legs I asked for the city manager to come out and I promptly apologized in front of everyone for my stupid public display. I feel about as tall now as I did that day.

Sometimes we forget the power of mere words and sometimes the way we phrase them causes them to be taken in ways that we weren’t even thinking of at the time we spoke them or wrote them. I am NOT going to try to justify what I said or even explain the reasoning behind it. Too often, apologies only turn into veiled efforts at self-justification and, my even though my ego could use that, I will forego the exercise.

Also, and except for one possible exception on May 16th, I am going to remove myself from posting on this board until the September/October timeframe, possible longer……..possible forever (and no….this is NOT a fishing expedition).

#2 dasein

dasein

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:53 PM

Iblayz - I appreciate your posts and I did not tune into what could have been offensive - however - you show a lot of integrity in being proactive on it

no fishing - OK - but it is still sad to think you will refrain from posting!

best,
klh

#3 lawdog

lawdog

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:26 PM

Hello Blaze, Sorry if I'm the one who seemed the most offended. I didn't go back to the thread after my response post, so I'm not sure what came afterwards. But if I got the ball rolling, I regret that. I think you are a smart person and have a lot to add. At the time I thought the post was beneath your expertise. In any event, I really don't think apologies are necessary, and if apologies are necessary, then an apology from me is necessary as well. 

The problem with carrying on a dialogue with writing is that there is not the give and take that comes in a conversation. When you converse, whether in person or on the telephone, about a matter of disagreement, it's very easy to resolve differences, find common ground, clear up misunderstandings and move forward with no permanent damage to relationships. That doesn't happen with texts, threads, etc. because the give and take is lost. Also, it is easy to forget that there is another person, a real human being, on the other side. So, I hope you will be back soon and I resolve to be more circumspect with my posts. Civility is really important, and I could have done much better.

#4 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,014 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:02 PM

FWIW, I got no complaints.

Things get hot from time to time. Then they calm down.

What I like, though, is that folks here are often willing to apologize and make amends.

Considering the skills and egos of many of us, I think that's pretty remarkable.  :)

I don't think anyone wants to see you go, Blaze.

M

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#5 gannman

gannman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:51 PM

you seem like a passionate person to me i understand fully sometimes the b.s. of this  world drives us all crazy

hope you stay no need to go guess what you are human man and obviously and honest man 

feeling mellow with the yellow metal

#6 dowdeva

dowdeva

• Traders-Talk User
  • 525 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:52 PM

That is a truly awful thing that happened to you with the power department. Really, they are criminals. I've been reading a lot about similar things going on other places right now.That took a lot of  courage to go into that City Hall and apologize, I don't think many would have done it.

I very much appreciate your posts and would hate to see you stop.

#7 dasein

dasein

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:58 PM

It took a lot of  courage to go into that City Hall and apologize, I don't think many would have done it.

and I dont really think an apolgy was owed to them - they might have owed you one howeer...

best,
klh