Forget about all the fundamentals in the world

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:47 AM

There's only one thing that matters to the markets. Liquidity !

It was that monstrous liquidity injection by the Fed that kickstarted this rally in 2009. Those who did not listen to the Fed, then, paid the price. Now the cycle has turned. Once the Fed starts the tightening cycle, it will not end with one or two increases. They will look at the employment numbers and the CPI inflation and continue to raise the rates. Not to mention the unwinding of the balance sheet that has begun. They will continue with the tightening until the back of the economy is broken. They have made it loud and clear. Are you listening ? The fundmental trend has changed.

All this Trump rally, tax cuts, healthcare reform, infrastructure spending, obstruction of justice blah blah are irrelavant. 

Now we just need to wait for the technical picture to change. The S&P and DOW trends are still intact. But the Nasdaq is broken. I will update when the technical picture changes, with IT sells. For now i am in cash and will not trade until Nasdaq breaks into new ATHs, which i doubt will happen. 

Edited by NAV, 23 June 2017 - 12:48 AM.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#2 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:25 AM

It was that monstrous liquidity injection by the Fed that kick started this rally in 2009. Those who did not listen to the Fed, then, paid the price.

boombust062217.png

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#3 Data

Data

• Validating
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:36 AM

Since the Fed can't directly buy stocks, they farmed it out to friendly foreign central banks.

Swiss National Banks owns 80 billion in US stocks

Liquidity didn't kickstart.  It is the only thing.   The market collapses as soon as it's taken away. See 2010 and 2011 when two phases of QE ended.

The latest month shows the ECB and BOJ purchases amounting to 160 billion dollars.   Since each has driven rates negative several years ago, their fiscal deficits have dramatically declined.   They could easily cut their QEs to one-fourth their size to monetize their governments' debts.  

It really comes down to whether there will be some periodic deleveraging  in the equity market since the asset purchases are continuing.

Edited by Data, 23 June 2017 - 09:38 AM.

#4 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,960 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:52 AM

did i know about liquidity when i got long  on 3/9/09? and callled for  the epicenter?

#5 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,960 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:53 AM

It was that monstrous liquidity injection by the Fed that kick started this rally in 2009. Those who did not listen to the Fed, then, paid the price.

boombust062217.png

a picture is worth a thousand words eh?

#6 Data

Data

• Validating
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:42 PM

There was a lot more going on in monetary policy during that long time period than just the Fed Funds rate. 

#7 MaryAM

MaryAM

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 05:23 AM

I agree.

https://fred.stlouis...org/series/MULT

#8 Data

Data

• Validating
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:58 AM

There is a long history of central bank asset purchases over that period on an intermittent basis.   This is the longest stretch by far.  It requires more digging into government records than just pulling up a stockchart.

Edited by Data, 24 June 2017 - 11:58 AM.

#9 Data

Data

• Validating
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:10 PM

deleted

Edited by Data, 24 June 2017 - 12:15 PM.

#10 q4wer

q4wer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:59 PM

There will be a criticism in the future to blame the QE, next time No more country to buy USA bond, cause oil as energy will be replaced by water.