• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 alexnewbee

alexnewbee

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:58 PM

Calm before the storm. ;)
Once volatility bets unwind, it will be epic.
"we do G.d's work" Lloyd Blankfein

#12 alexnewbee

alexnewbee

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:20 AM

I think that is what I have been waiting for - "good" news start to pour in (GS, IBM earnings) which are used to sell. Especially GS action yesterday was remarkable.
"we do G.d's work" Lloyd Blankfein

#13 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:28 AM

Technically more likely to turn down. It's just waiting for the time to be reached or a trigger. Meanwhile, bounces will be sold and dips will be bought. However, I don't think this will last for long..........

I would think down to.  This market is ridiculous, I love flat markets of course for selling premium but it also reveals the poor state of market conditions on volume alone.   

Do you use any sub service to boost your win edge? As far as I know, selling premium one can lose a lot on a single trade if it is sharply against the market. How many days out you short, do you use weekly or monthly or even a few days out.  thanks !

No I don't use a service I've been doing it since just after the 87 crash.  I'm still old fashion selling 3rd week options a month out for a basic income base selling out of the money with stops and then use some for trading when its possible.  Right now even thats hard as there is little premium there because of zero volatility and we're in the same situation for short term trades because of that also.  Its also hard to short the downside right now long or short term as anything could prick this bubble for a quick -5% loss.  I'll think about it after the October expiration is over.    

#14 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,960 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:09 AM

Technically more likely to turn down. It's just waiting for the time to be reached or a trigger. Meanwhile, bounces will be sold and dips will be bought. However, I don't think this will last for long..........

I would think down to.  This market is ridiculous, I love flat markets of course for selling premium but it also reveals the poor state of market conditions on volume alone.   

>This market is ridiculous,<    as in a once in a lifetime move......that ive been harping about and providing every great reason known to man.....now you know why few if any make it to the top of k2......its not to late.....gotta long way to go ......675ono

#15 Data

Data

• Validating
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:07 AM

Cluster of central bank meetings at the end of this month may decide the next form of QE in Europe.   The ECB pumped in 36 billion dollars last week.  

There is an explicit central bank put in how Japan has set up its QE.  They have a lower range for purchases.  They've increased  purchases to the high range in the weak market months, such as August and March.

Oscillators stay above 80 in a trending market as they have.   The breadth hasn't been good, but downside is limited daily as long as 100-200 SPX stocks make new highs.

#16 q4wer

q4wer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:42 AM

Do you use any sub service to boost your win edge? As far as I know, selling premium one can lose a lot on a single trade if it is sharply against the market. How many days out you short, do you use weekly or monthly or even a few days out.  thanks !

No I don't use a service I've been doing it since just after the 87 crash.  I'm still old fashion selling 3rd week options a month out for a basic income base selling out of the money with stops and then use some for trading when its possible.  Right now even thats hard as there is little premium there because of zero volatility and we're in the same situation for short term trades because of that also.  Its also hard to short the downside right now long or short term as anything could prick this bubble for a quick -5% loss.  I'll think about it after the October expiration is over.    

Thank you very much!!!  What vehicles do you use to sell options with recently? I think SPX options are good, I also heard some people shorting goog aapl amzn put options, wish to know your opinion about this.  Really appreciate your input!!!

#17 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:57 AM

Thank you very much!!!  What vehicles do you use to sell options with recently? I think SPX options are good, I also heard some people shorting goog aapl amzn put options, wish to know your opinion about this.  Really appreciate your input!!!

Years ago used the  cash S&P100 and SPX but have now been doing e-mini futures options.  There are so many one can choose from now but I still like the SP500 as I've been following it for almost 40 years now!  I've never traded individual stock options myself but those trades would have been great.  Right now I think its scary to short any puts on anything unless your way out.  Its ok to be overly bullish but the market can, and has dropped huge on a whim when your at lofty levels so I'd rather sleep at night. Best to just wait for a decent correction then go back in to trade puts again.  As I was just reading we are about to break the record for most consecutive days without even a -3% correction on the SP500!

#18 q4wer

q4wer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:05 AM

Years ago used the  cash S&P100 and SPX but have now been doing e-mini futures options.  There are so many one can choose from now but I still like the SP500 as I've been following it for almost 40 years now!  I've never traded individual stock options myself but those trades would have been great.  Right now I think its scary to short any puts on anything unless your way out.  Its ok to be overly bullish but the market can, and has dropped huge on a whim when your at lofty levels so I'd rather sleep at night. Best to just wait for a decent correction then go back in to trade puts again.  As I was just reading we are about to break the record for most consecutive days without even a -3% correction on the SP500!

e-mini options are available most of the time after trading hours, which is good, but it is not cash settled, they can assign e-mini future contracts to ones account.  Thanks a lot!  Bests!!!