• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:28 PM

From the link:

Long-term breadth is still declining but it often lags a market move as short-term breadth begins to give glimmers of a blast to the upside (see the green circles on the rising lows on the chart below).

This is a bull market that just keeps charging, and will apparently until it doesn’t anymore.

For the swing signals and the chart:

SPY – beginning another hard up leg…

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#2 Harapa

Harapa

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:39 PM

Do you know what is going on with "FGI"? I noticed reported value and date very erratic, plus it is no longer updated intraday. This morning it was showing November 6, 5PM as last update, now it is Nov. 5.

My comments are for entertainment/educational purpose only. All posted trades are fake (aka. paper) trades.

#3 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:24 AM

I don't know "FGI" is.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#4 csw2002

csw2002

• Traders-Talk User
  • 554 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:00 AM

Fear & greed indicator as referenced by your blog
Don't be a fool like me - How I lost $10K

#5 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:06 AM

Fear & greed indicator as referenced by your blog

Oh, okay, duh.  I guess I need it spelled out, which is what I do on the blog.

#6 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:08 AM

Do you know what is going on with "FGI"? I noticed reported value and date very erratic, plus it is no longer updated intraday. This morning it was showing November 6, 5PM as last update, now it is Nov. 5.

Not sure what dates you are referencing.  I see each component within the index is updated on different dates probably as they change.

I chart it everyday and it seems to be moving with market appropriately.  I'll try to take a closer looks tomorrow.

#7 Harapa

Harapa

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:53 AM

'Date' as shown below the composite table (listing historical data) and FGI half wheel.

My comments are for entertainment/educational purpose only. All posted trades are fake (aka. paper) trades.

#8 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:43 AM

'Date' as shown below the composite table (listing historical data) and FGI half wheel.

I don't know what going on, or even if that's unusual.  I see that there have been updates on several of the components, mostly on 11/6, and that number under the wheel corresponds to the time and date of the latest change on the put/call ratio. I would assume that changes with whatever latest update there is in the internal components.

I hardly ever look at it during the day so I don't know if they have stopped real time.

I doubt this answer helps.  Sorry I don't have more.

By the way, thanks for making me take a look at my "FGI" chart.  Talk about divergences...this is an ugly ugly...

#9 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:04 PM

Try, try again...

From the link:

I’m assuming the market is going up tomorrow.

But the indexes are overbought and the internals are falling apart. Something has to give, sometime…

Sometime, needless to say, is an awfully vague term.

If this sounds like I have no confidence in these signals I don’t intend it to. They are reliable for swing trading. XIV, for instance, is up 67% year-to-date on the Price signal, up 55% on the breadth signal and 80% on the volatility signal (appropriately). See the chart panel below – from left to right Price, Breadth, Volatility.

For the chart panel:

PRICE, BREADTH, VOLATILITY

#10 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:02 PM

Try, try again...

From the link:

I’m assuming the market is going up tomorrow.

But the indexes are overbought and the internals are falling apart. Something has to give, sometime…

Sometime, needless to say, is an awfully vague term.

If this sounds like I have no confidence in these signals I don’t intend it to. They are reliable for swing trading. XIV, for instance, is up 67% year-to-date on the Price signal, up 55% on the breadth signal and 80% on the volatility signal (appropriately). See the chart panel below – from left to right Price, Breadth, Volatility.

For the chart panel:

PRICE, BREADTH, VOLATILITY

Wacky. 

Had buy signals across the board for today's open.  So the Dow is down a 100 points, the Nasdaq down nearly 40, the SPX nearly 10, but all that I trade on these signals, XIV and TQQQ, and all that I watch, TNA and UPRO, were up from their respective opens.  The signals are all profitable, at least on the close.  XIV up 2.3% from the open.

They will all be sells on the open tomorrow so I'd like to see a gap up to completely negate today's gap down and put me in a bit more cash for the weekend.

Good luck and good trading.