SPY

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:24 AM

System still on a buy, second brick today since the turn.  Pure price following.

#2 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:01 PM

System still on a buy, second brick today since the turn.  Pure price following.

Buy some calls on that and you get something like this:

DAY TRADING THE WEEKLY SPY CALLS

yes.gif

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#3 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:57 PM

yes.gif

Well yesterday close I had no good signal to be comfortable with weekly options, there have been several whipsaws in the last few days.

I just don't have a system that will get me a good entry without getting stopped on options. If I get stopped 2-3 times for 10% each, that is getting costly.

#4 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:31 PM

yes.gif

Well yesterday close I had no good signal to be comfortable with weekly options, there have been several whipsaws in the last few days.

I just don't have a system that will get me a good entry without getting stopped on options. If I get stopped 2-3 times for 10% each, that is getting costly.

I had buy signals across the board for today (see CONTEXT from yesterday's link above) and I suppose someday I will be tempted to put on a weekly for the overnight (with today's gap that would have been fantastic).  But, all in all, I think that's too risky (especially long the weeklies). If this had gapped the other way, there's a good chance all that capital would be toast.  So instead, this "fool's game" of buying calls and puts is never more than a day trade (see the explanation of the GAME in the link above). 

In a side note I called out four stock plays - NVDA, FSLR, NFLX and BID.  They are up less than one half of one percent on the buys (done in by FSLR), but then there's this:

And, of course, if the market rallies it is also likely AAPL will again participate (always good for a bounce, a scalp, or an option-play).

And so it is once again -- AAPL practically IS THE MARKET.

The AAPL weekly options are as nearly liquid as those on SPY with the same tight spreads, the close-by easily-executable stops, and the little time decay on day trades. 

And sometimes you just get lucky:

TODAY'S AAPL POST

Edited by diogenes227, 21 November 2017 - 02:33 PM.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#5 opinionated

opinionated

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,937 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:51 AM

I had long signals setting up over the weekend and about 90% confirmed on Monday. But most of mine are signaling flat now for two days,  anticipating a short signal this friday.