SPY

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 8,206 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:24 AM

System still on a buy, second brick today since the turn.  Pure price following.

#2 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:01 PM

System still on a buy, second brick today since the turn.  Pure price following.

Buy some calls on that and you get something like this:

DAY TRADING THE WEEKLY SPY CALLS

yes.gif

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted, W.C. Fields.

#3 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 8,206 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:57 PM

yes.gif

Well yesterday close I had no good signal to be comfortable with weekly options, there have been several whipsaws in the last few days.

I just don't have a system that will get me a good entry without getting stopped on options. If I get stopped 2-3 times for 10% each, that is getting costly.

#4 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:31 PM

yes.gif

Well yesterday close I had no good signal to be comfortable with weekly options, there have been several whipsaws in the last few days.

I just don't have a system that will get me a good entry without getting stopped on options. If I get stopped 2-3 times for 10% each, that is getting costly.

I had buy signals across the board for today (see CONTEXT from yesterday's link above) and I suppose someday I will be tempted to put on a weekly for the overnight (with today's gap that would have been fantastic).  But, all in all, I think that's too risky (especially long the weeklies). If this had gapped the other way, there's a good chance all that capital would be toast.  So instead, this "fool's game" of buying calls and puts is never more than a day trade (see the explanation of the GAME in the link above). 

In a side note I called out four stock plays - NVDA, FSLR, NFLX and BID.  They are up less than one half of one percent on the buys (done in by FSLR), but then there's this:

And, of course, if the market rallies it is also likely AAPL will again participate (always good for a bounce, a scalp, or an option-play).

And so it is once again -- AAPL practically IS THE MARKET.

The AAPL weekly options are as nearly liquid as those on SPY with the same tight spreads, the close-by easily-executable stops, and the little time decay on day trades. 

And sometimes you just get lucky:

TODAY'S AAPL POST

Edited by diogenes227, 21 November 2017 - 02:33 PM.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted, W.C. Fields.

#5 opinionated

opinionated

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:51 AM

I had long signals setting up over the weekend and about 90% confirmed on Monday. But most of mine are signaling flat now for two days,  anticipating a short signal this friday.