• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:42 PM

From the link:

So, if there’s a pause here, can it turn into a pull back?

This could be tricky since long-term breadth continues to climb (up for the fourth day). Given that, if short-term breadth turns up here in the next day or two (or bless a bottom dollar, three days), the market would get another bullish boost. If long-term breadth turns down, this could very easily become the hook that catches every bull off guard. Although the bull market has so far defied the signs over and over again, it is inevitable that one of these times, like today, when the signals signal a turn, the turn will come. Probably when the bears are worn out and the bulls don’t expect anything of on their blindside.

For more discussion and the signal table:

Market Timing - time for a pause?

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#2 redfoliage2

redfoliage2

• Traders-Talk User
  • 18,000 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:40 PM

At this juncture anything can happen. If the senate fails to pass the tax bill, Id look for a 5% pull back

Edited by redfoliage2, 27 November 2017 - 09:42 PM.

#3 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,960 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:03 PM

how do u spell E P I C E N T E R.....the result of taking out the upper trendline of a monster continuation pattern..testing the line from above twice for good measure ,known as the expanding triangle that so many called a broadening TOP!!

http://www.siliconin...?msgid=31362209

#4 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:09 AM

At this juncture anything can happen. If the senate fails to pass the tax bill, Id look for a 5% pull back

Yup, anything can happen.  If the Senate passes the tax bill, I'd look for a 50% pull back.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#5 opinionated

opinionated

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,937 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:59 AM

Agreed,
I have extreme risk on a 5 min cycle chart that says late today or tomorrow should be a spike low. 10 min says prolonged decline into next Monday/Tues... but breadth has signaled a bottom. Internal correction as we have seen over and over. I was at the Cleveland clinic yesterday with my wife, expecting the above decline I had a limit order in for the spy 259's then got busy with doctors and then the 3 hour drive home. Looking at charts over night was glad I stood aside. Then during my morning coffee I saw my order had filled just before the close! A true sign of a crappy trader though st bear, and short I have disappointed myself this morning.

#6 Data

Data

• Validating
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:10 AM

Notice someone is still trying to use the 20-week and 40-week cycles.   The back half of the cycle is outperforming the front half most of the time now.

http://jayonthemarke...le-begin-again/

I used to break them up into thirds with the first 6 2/3rds weeks the most bullish with a secondary high at the end of the next 6 2/3rds weeks depending on whether the cycle was right-justified (bull market) or left-justified (bear market).  

The QE has gone on from simply a flow situation, where the infusion of funds is greater than the net issuance, to one where the private holdings have been declining.  

Edited by Data, 28 November 2017 - 11:11 AM.

#7 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:19 PM

Yup, anything can happen.  If the Senate passes the tax bill, I'd look for a 50% pull back.

I see your 50% and raise you to 75%!

This whole notion that the market is somehow tied to what they do in Washington at a moments notice won't make you any money...only knowing the technical condition will.

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#8 redfoliage2

redfoliage2

• Traders-Talk User
  • 18,000 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:14 PM

This whole notion that the market is somehow tied to what they do in Washington at a moments notice won't make you any money...only knowing the technical condition will.

Fib

When you look at SPX chart you should know that the profile is a result of the Washington politics and the Fed policies.  Without the politics and policies SPX may still struggle around 600.  The market rallied without a stop since Trump took the presidency because of the anticipation of the corporate tax cut.  So, in a couple of days this is going to be put under test ............

Edited by redfoliage2, 28 November 2017 - 02:16 PM.

#9 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,960 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:20 PM

Fib

When you look at SPX chart you should know that the profile is a result of the Washington politics and the Fed policies.  Without the politics and policies SPX may still struggle around 600.  The market rallied without a stop since Trump took the presidency because of the anticipation of the corporate tax cut.  So, in a couple of days this is going to be put under test ............

>  The market rallied without a stop since Trump took the presidency because of the anticipation of the corporate tax cut. <    we dont need no stinkin hindsite!...we need forsite eh    675ono

#10 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:30 PM

Fib

Really?  I was being half facetious when I pegged 50% for the pullback on the tax cut, although when NYSE margin debt begins to unravel and given that the tax cut is the last of the QEs (so to speak), that looks like a reasonable historical target.  Who knows?  A lot of time is going to have to pass before that is even possible..

But are you being facetious too or serious?  Do you actually think this market is vulnerable to a 75% pull back whenever the bubble pops?