• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:12 AM

From the link:

Granted the general market has rallied this month fairly steadily. Great for buy-and-hold investors, who don’t plan to sell even if it doesn’t, but not so great for swing traders like me.

My swing signals, usually so reliable, have been all over the place. Last Monday buys across the board, market tanks. Tuesday sells, market rallies. Wednesday mixed. Thursday sells across the board, market rallies Friday. Friday buys across the board, Monday…uh, market follows through to the upside…

For more discussion:

THE RALLY WORTH HATING

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#2 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:44 AM

My swing signals have been fairly reliable. Caught the move from 2630 to 2668. I don't play the short side until my IT turns down. So basically ignore them. However i miss quite a few signals as they start as big gap-and-runs which are not easily caught by my system. Yesterday's gap and run was one of them. I missed a couple more last month with the same pattern. Maybe i need to incorporate them into my strategy, given the runaway nature of this market. But so far i am keeping the whipsaws to minimum.

I am still making money, but it's hard to beat a runaway market (without corrections), unless you are a buy and hold type investor.

Edited by NAV, 19 December 2017 - 02:44 AM.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#3 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,960 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:20 AM

2013    sed this was worth holding for    http://www.siliconin...?msgid=28662319

#4 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,960 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:01 PM

2013    sed this was worth holding for    http://www.siliconin...?msgid=28662319

now we see the same thing for the nyse comp

9147078_da30e1328bd452a2719302b8b86c20c9

http://www.siliconin...2b8b86c20c9.png

#5 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,960 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:09 PM

My swing signals have been fairly reliable. Caught the move from 2630 to 2668. I don't play the short side until my IT turns down. So basically ignore them. However i miss quite a few signals as they start as big gap-and-runs which are not easily caught by my system. Yesterday's gap and run was one of them. I missed a couple more last month with the same pattern. Maybe i need to incorporate them into my strategy, given the runaway nature of this market. But so far i am keeping the whipsaws to minimum.

I am still making money, but it's hard to beat a runaway market (without corrections), unless you are a buy and hold type investor.

I promise i wont exploit your youth and inexperience

#6 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:32 AM

Updating...

From the Link:

The market was up to its current tricks again Tuesday. Came into the day with a signals blaring buys and the market sold off.

As noted in the link above this has been going on pretty much all month. One day a buy, the next day a sell…hasn’t mattered much except as a fade. But one can’t fade signals developed over years of experience in the market or the signals won’t matter anymore, nor will the years of experience. Finally, when aLL is in doubt, there is a moment of obvious follow through that may indicate all is back on track.

That may be today.

For More:

A DECEMBER RALLY WORTH HATING PART TWO

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."