xau/yahoo gold silver breadth precious metals

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,144 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:38 PM

I just thought I would swing by and give a quick update on the XAU/Yahoo data as of Friday's close..

Since the December 11th lows, you can see that the rally in gold never quite had the underlying breadth leadership that one would like to see if this were to be an important turning point, though the PM McClellan Summation Index's forecast of a December bottom allowed for a tradable turn anyway (no less the bearish sentiment at that time). With the interest rate sensitive issues now screaming for higher rates over the next 6 months, the bearish divergence point seen on January 24th could turn into a significant downside event for this asset class as higher rates is gold's number one enemy. Another problem here is that this same Precious Metals breadth MCSUM wasn't quite able to move past the +308 level on this latest run, and a failure like this to move up and through the +500 level re-enforces the larger bearish trend of the last 6+ years.

At this point, the next window for a tradable bottom remains sometime in the late spring, but if we see continue to see interest rates rise even further over the next few weeks, we might not see another window until sometime in August.

Fib

xauyahoo020218.png

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#2 jacksterr

jacksterr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for the update, it's appreciated!

#3 dougie

dougie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 8,998 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:34 PM

So Fib: I take it you are not invested in Miners or Gold?

THanks!

#4 MaryAM

MaryAM

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:37 PM

I bought all of my gold many years ago below $500 - some in the $350 range.  When it got above $500 I thought it was too pricey for me.   I don't give a darn what the price does, I only care about how many ounces I own.  Same with silver, I loaded up a long time ago at well under $10.  Just sit and hold.  

#5 dharma

dharma

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,595 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:28 AM

I bought all of my gold many years ago below $500 - some in the $350 range.  When it got above $500 I thought it was too pricey for me.   I don't give a darn what the price does, I only care about how many ounces I own.  Same with silver, I loaded up a long time ago at well under $10.  Just sit and hold.  

in the same boat. i do have a trading account where i buy and sell miners.  but for the metals . i havent done a thing since 05

dharma

#6 senorBS

senorBS

• TT Member+
  • 10,900 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:37 AM

no Fib post since Feb 3?

#7 claire

claire

• Traders-Talk User
  • 649 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:11 PM

Fib, did you repost the 2/3 post because it still applies?  Am I correct in that assumption?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: xau/yahoo, gold, silver, breadth, precious metals