New blog posting, early retirees and health insurance, pt 2

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#11 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:14 AM

If you have that much then one trade will pay for healthcare, problem solved.

#12 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 09:02 AM

PDK,
Im a type 1 Diabetic on insulin. Im eztrenely healthy as Inexercise very intensely on a daily basis and I follow the Keto (zero carb) diet. Nonetheless I still need prescription meds and this would run me $700/mo. without insurance. No amount of golf or exercise will cure my diabetes. I need insurance. Going without Insurance wouldnt work for me.

diabetes type I can not be cured. Mine was type II since I was diagnosed border line in late 50's-60's.

Type II can be controlled by only one method in my experience....

Take all your calories during any 8 hour period during each day.

Complete fast other 16 hours (water or tea or coffee without sugar is great)

Type II is due to insulin resistance, not lack of insulin.

Only way to cure that is give muscle cells complete rest from insulin for 16 hours each day.

I don't kow what type of diabetes you have, but if it is type II, do the above. You will not be sorry.

If nothing else, your medication dose will gradually decrease.

Edited by pdx5, 23 June 2018 - 09:10 AM.

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#13 Waver

Waver

• Traders-Talk User
  • 802 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 09:22 AM

Need to have LOOT like in the 7 digits or simply a lot of cash flow from revenue generating assets. Dont necessarily need to have 7 digits of cash.

To me personally, I choose cash flow from at least 2 or 3 streams of income. It replenishes cash that is used.

#14 dwnowhere1

dwnowhere1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 09:24 AM

I'd like to add me two cents regarding the need for healthcare.

I retired at 48.  Was in great shape and healthy until age 66.

My dad died at 90, and my mom is 96 and growing strong.

Thought I had great genes.

Then I was diagnosed with choroidal melanoma. 

Had never heard of it.   It is cancer.

Lost my sight in my left eye and cost around $100K to treat.

Also have a prognosis of less than 5 year life expectancy.

A number of cancers show up as you age.

Almost all human cells have a life cycle of some time period.

The BAP1 gene "seems" to control certain (not all) cell life cycles.

In my case, the BAP1 dropped off chromosome 3.

If a mutation occurs during that life cycle replacement process, "S**T" happens.

IMHO while the medical community is made great strides in diagnosis,

treatment options are still about the same as they were in the  1940s.

No one knows whats around the corner.

SO yes, I'm happy I retired early, but IHMO everyone needs some form of health insurance.

Edited by dwnowhere1, 23 June 2018 - 09:32 AM.

#15 cycletimer

cycletimer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 09:57 AM

If you have that much then one trade will pay for healthcare, problem solved.

Funny, but I don't place large bets on anything.  I'm holding muni's, mortgage-backed bonds, a couple of ETF's and I sell naked puts.  Any option trade is capped at about $30k.  I only make 4 or 5 options bets (directional trade on the $SPX ) 4-5 times per year.

#16 cycletimer

cycletimer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 09:59 AM

PDK,
Im a type 1 Diabetic on insulin. Im eztrenely healthy as Inexercise very intensely on a daily basis and I follow the Keto (zero carb) diet. Nonetheless I still need prescription meds and this would run me $700/mo. without insurance. No amount of golf or exercise will cure my diabetes. I need insurance. Going without Insurance wouldnt work for me.

diabetes type I can not be cured. Mine was type II since I was diagnosed border line in late 50's-60's.

Type II can be controlled by only one method in my experience....

Take all your calories during any 8 hour period during each day.

Complete fast other 16 hours (water or tea or coffee without sugar is great)

Type II is due to insulin resistance, not lack of insulin.

Only way to cure that is give muscle cells complete rest from insulin for 16 hours each day.

I don't kow what type of diabetes you have, but if it is type II, do the above. You will not be sorry.

If nothing else, your medication dose will gradually decrease.

PDK,

I'm type 1 (juvenile) and theres no cure.  I manage it with exercise, a ketogenic (or Paleo diet) diet and insulin.  My insulin needs have decreased from an ave. of 35 IU's per day down to 16 because I eat zero carbohydrates.  All of my consumption is meat and vegetables, no sugars, no dairy, no grains.  This has helped my diabetes tremendously.  In fact, my A1C is only 6.2

#17 cycletimer

cycletimer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:02 AM

Need to have LOOT like in the 7 digits or simply a lot of cash flow from revenue generating assets. Dont necessarily need to have 7 digits of cash.

To me personally, I choose cash flow from at least 2 or 3 streams of income. It replenishes cash that is used.

I agree and I have several sources of passive income (in addition to my day job, salary which will end in 4 years times); dividends, premiums from selling naked puts, bond interest and the cash flow from investment real estate.  I follow this forum and I follow the markets but my main interest is in real estate, not trading.  

#18 cycletimer

cycletimer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:08 AM

I'd like to add me two cents regarding the need for healthcare.

I retired at 48.  Was in great shape and healthy until age 66.

My dad died at 90, and my mom is 96 and growing strong.

Thought I had great genes.

Then I was diagnosed with choroidal melanoma. 

Had never heard of it.   It is cancer.

Lost my sight in my left eye and cost around $100K to treat.

Also have a prognosis of less than 5 year life expectancy.

A number of cancers show up as you age.

Almost all human cells have a life cycle of some time period.

The BAP1 gene "seems" to control certain (not all) cell life cycles.

In my case, the BAP1 dropped off chromosome 3.

If a mutation occurs during that life cycle replacement process, "S**T" happens.

IMHO while the medical community is made great strides in diagnosis,

treatment options are still about the same as they were in the  1940s.

No one knows whats around the corner.

SO yes, I'm happy I retired early, but IHMO everyone needs some form of health insurance.

Oh my goodness Dwnowhere1 about your illness.  I have a question for you.  I recently had a routine eye exam and I opted to have the photo scan done on my eyes.  The Optometrist (not an MD, just a person that prescribes lenses) made note that I have a couple of "freckles" in my left eye.  She said this is probably from exposure to ultra violet light.  (This makes sense, earlier in my life I was a competitive bodybuilder, took steroids and worshipped the Sun, like an Idiot!).  Anyway, does this mean anything to you?  That there are freckles in my eye?  She said I need to make an appointment with an Ophthalmologist soon.  

Amen on your opinion we all need health insurance.  We do!

#19 Waver

Waver

• Traders-Talk User
  • 802 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:31 AM

It does seem like you have a well diversified income stream to work with. You are better off than most. Shouldnt have a real issue to keep health insurance and still enjoy retirement without struggling.

#20 cycletimer

cycletimer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:49 AM

It does seem like you have a well diversified income stream to work with. You are better off than most. Shouldnt have a real issue to keep health insurance and still enjoy retirement without struggling.

Barring another financial panic/recession I'll be okay.  I do believe (based on cycles) that things start trailing off in late 2019-thru-2021.  There's some pain ahead but there's also time to raise some cash and prepare.  I am most concerned about real estate and how it'll be affected by the next economic downturn.  That's another subject and another topic entirely.