Futures

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:32 AM

Futures hourly MACD is pushing off just above zero, not good for bulls.

#22 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,215 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:42 AM

Sold my 285 calls 4 points out, that's how much I believe the highs are in for the day.

With this teeny -3.00 point change that 2850 has now dropped to .70, I love premium decay in all time windows lol!

#23 qqqqtrdr

qqqqtrdr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:00 PM

All I can say, is looking at a large swath of signals, there is not enough correlation to determine short term bullish of bearish at the moment...   However, due to weakening commodities it does relate to more downside short term for the overall market....  So there is a slight bearish force here, but we have not broken through a break in the 50-day MA on the indices yet.

Barry

#24 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:32 PM

Afternoon sell right on time.

#25 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:46 AM

New ath's, yeah right.

#26 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 02:59 PM

Sell on close orders, epitome of institutional bullishness.

#27 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 03:38 PM

In my decade doing this I have met a handful of actual legit traders who teach.

Trading is difficult and takes many years to learn. A very common thing is blowing up your bankroll early, and by the time you actually know what you are doing, your bankroll is so small you can’t make much off it.

For those guys teaching is the only avenue left.

I think this one applies to most.

There are lots of reasons, altruism is probably at the bottom of the list.

https://www.quora.co...ofitable-things

#28 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:51 AM

main-thumb-175716311-50-kwfawcjalfoelgat
Answered May 15, 2017 · Author has 1.1k answers and 831k answer views

Fundamental Analysis is used to correctly value a stock and estimate its future business/financial performance. Based on its realistic valuation (which is still an estimate only), you would decide at what price to pick the stock.

Therefore FA is used to identify companies and decide at what price to buy them.

Technical Analysis is used to determine the trend in the price movement of a company’s stock. This could be up, down or flat within a range.

Based on this information one can decide to buy, sell or hold a stock.

As you can see, both have their complementary role to play.

Anyone who says FA is all manure is not a long term investor. Today, its fashionable to overly rely on quantitative techniques to squeeze the extra 1/10s of a cent as quickly as possible. But thats not investing. Its gambling since in a minute (very small) timeframe movement tends to become increasingly random and trading a near-random movement is nothing but a gamble.

To make a decent buck, since the amplitude of the price movement is small, they throw large amounts of money into the trade, essentially taking a large short-term risk.

These techniques and strategies do not result in large returns on investment on a CAGR basis over the long term. Of course, the market or the selected stock itself should be in a long term upward move to yield such results.

Ultimately, if you pick a sound company early on, which grows over decades, you will get enormous returns. I myself have certain stocks in the Indian market held over 30 years which have given over 12470 times return and taken a small amount of money to a very large amount ($1500 turned to $2.30mil in 31 years).

Traders do not have that kind of outlook and therefore have no need for FA and perhaps even some parts of TA. Therefore they rubbish these saying these do not have any value.

I’m not saying that it is because of these types of analysis that one gets to achieve such huge returns (obviously the future is not predictable and there is an element of luck). But FA does point to the right stock and TA does keep you out of harms way getting you out of the market when markets crash (as they are increasingly prone to doing partly because of the reckless habits of the same trading fraternity, using such things like massive pumping of liquidity into markets and using robo-trading which can have wildly cascading effect.

#29 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:37 AM

At just 20 points average gain per week, one had better pick their spot wisely if going long since this is 40-50 points after the turn.

We are already half way there if this gap holds, leaving you 10 points potential, yes we could get an outlier of 50 points but you can't count on that.