Super Bull continues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tommyt

tommyt

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 02:19 PM

I thought we would see more vol in Aug, now it looks like Sept. As we start seeing more of these, it will be a sign.

https://stockcharts....id=p02990891347

#2 slupert

slupert

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 03:06 PM

Bought some QID at the close, will dump quick in morning if it goes against me. A lot of PNF charts I use could not print that last X today for  a clean breakout. Taking a chance on a pullback in AM. (JMHO)

#3 cycletimer

cycletimer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 04:24 PM

You don’t want to step in front of a freight train. Instead of shorting the market during this upswing, allow me to make a suggestion. Buy consumer staples instead. Either purchase a basket of solid, liquid, downtrodden names like PG, JNJ, MO, PM or buy XLP and VDC. These stocks and ETF’s tend to go UP when markets fall and they still go up when markets are up, just not with the same upside as say, a technology stock.
This has what I’ve been doing for months and my beta is minimal; on market down days my account is UP and on market up days my account is up, just not up the same % as market. The right position is Long. A cautious Long position is consumers staples.

#4 slupert

slupert

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:10 PM

You don’t want to step in front of a freight train. Instead of shorting the market during this upswing, allow me to make a suggestion. Buy consumer staples instead. Either purchase a basket of solid, liquid, downtrodden names like PG, JNJ, MO, PM or buy XLP and VDC. These stocks and ETF’s tend to go UP when markets fall and they still go up when markets are up, just not with the same upside as say, a technology stock.
This has what I’ve been doing for months and my beta is minimal; on market down days my account is UP and on market up days my account is up, just not up the same % as market. The right position is Long. A cautious Long position is consumers staples.

lol, read the post, its just a quickie trade with a stop in place in the AM. But thanks for all the generic advice anyway...

#5 LMF

LMF

• Traders-Talk User
  • 801 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:23 PM

I saw some pretty good research from Bernie schaeffer's guys......the 3 months with historical average losses are June, August and September.  When June goes higher, it's a good bet that August will too, and possibly even september.  7 times June has been higher since 2003 including this year.  August is up 6-1 during those years, and September is 4-2. 

The end of month NDX performance for August is also very good.....the period from the close before Aug 26 (Friday last week) to Sept 5th.  Going back 32 years, that period is up 22-10, and 8-2 during the past 10 years.  With performance that good, it does have a down August from time to time.