Photo

ST long, IT long, am out of town until next week!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,256 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 08:05 AM

ST LONG stop @ 2907.9

IT LONG stop @ 2902

Added 14 QQQ puts on Tuesday & Wednesday, am down about 21 % on my options portfolio

VXX long, small position, will monitor markets but for all intents and purposes, I am outa here until next week!

ENJOy!

#2 LMF

LMF

• Traders-Talk User
  • 801 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:38 AM

TQQQ profits here above 73......could go a bit higher to 73.5, but I'm not enjoying the struggle.

#3 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,503 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:49 AM

Sooooo I read that Amazon, Netflix, microsoft, and Apple account for 40% of the overall +7% gain in the market.  Looking for opinions on the health of the market.  

#4 Waver

Waver

• Traders-Talk User
  • 802 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:31 AM

The overall cumulative breadth is at all time highs.
This is a healthy market.
Not to say there wont be a 3%-5-% correction

#5 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,503 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:39 AM

The overall cumulative breadth is at all time highs.
This is a healthy market.
Not to say there wont be a 3%-5-% correction

Ya I know thats what I find weird and the NYSE isn't near new highs.

#6 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 10:13 AM

Sooooo I read that Amazon, Netflix, microsoft, and Apple account for 40% of the overall +7% gain in the market.  Looking for opinions on the health of the market.  

I have heard this argument for ever. It's all about leadership. It's a sign of a healthy market. I would be worried when speculation starts in the crappy low grade stocks.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#7 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,503 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 10:27 AM

I have heard this argument for ever. It's all about leadership. It's a sign of a healthy market. I would be worried when speculation starts in the crappy low grade stocks.

What I'm trying to figure out is the actual leadership though, lets say those 4 stocks corrected -5% at the same time, the market would go negative for the year, don't think thats a healthy market.  Think you can have leadership but everyone needs to follow along.  Still doesn't make sense that the advance/decline is making new highs with only 4 stocks leading the way though.  Thats  what I'm trying to figure out.  Charts are helpful, with no lines though they mean nothing to me anymore lol!!!  

#8 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 12:01 PM

What I'm trying to figure out is the actual leadership though, lets say those 4 stocks corrected -5% at the same time, the market would go negative for the year, don't think thats a healthy market.  Think you can have leadership but everyone needs to follow along.  Still doesn't make sense that the advance/decline is making new highs with only 4 stocks leading the way though.  Thats  what I'm trying to figure out.  Charts are helpful, with no lines though they mean nothing to me anymore lol!!!  

Haven't we been saying the same stuff for the last 5 years ? I heard the same stuff when AMZN was at 700 and APPL at 90.

You need to look at the bigger picture. The NYSE A/D line will not keep making new all time highs day in and day out without the participation from the broader set of stocks on the NYSE. That's the reality. The FANG stocks stuff is the perma-bear spin. The Hussman's and Northman's have to feed some soup to their followers. They point to the FANG. If they spoke the truth, they will left with no subs/investors.

Nuff' said.

Edited by NAV, 31 August 2018 - 12:07 PM.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#9 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,503 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 06:21 PM

Haven't we been saying the same stuff for the last 5 years ? I heard the same stuff when AMZN was at 700 and APPL at 90.

You need to look at the bigger picture. The NYSE A/D line will not keep making new all time highs day in and day out without the participation from the broader set of stocks on the NYSE. That's the reality. The FANG stocks stuff is the perma-bear spin. The Hussman's and Northman's have to feed some soup to their followers. They point to the FANG. If they spoke the truth, they will left with no subs/investors.

Nuff' said.

Sorry your not understanding my point.  The market is up +9% with about 7% of that on 4 stocks.  Then they say the broader market is around breakeven.  If this is true why is the a/d line hitting new highs.  Shouldn't the market overall then be much higher why only up +2%.  Things don't add up.  None of this by the way makes a difference for my style of trading I don't really care but seems off to me.

#10 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 01:13 PM

2 reasons why bull market is likely to continue for several weeks.

1. FED is being very cautious in rate hikes

2. Elections are not until Nov 6th.

Earliest trouble for bulls is Nov 7th, If Trump agenda gets in trouble due to

change of control in House of Reps. Senate looks unlikely to change, but anything is possible.

In the meanwhile Trump rules the markets, up roughly 50% since he was elected.

That is simply amazing, unique, historical and record breaking.

However must not forget valuations are 10% higher than before crash of 1929,

based on average inflation-adjusted earnings from the previous 10 years.

Edited by pdx5, 02 September 2018 - 01:15 PM.

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule